Plum butter

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 24, 2012
Hello

Yesterday in the prayer room somebody said that they made plum butter.
I not sure if it is American anyway it intrigued me i phoned my friend up asking about plum butter she has not heard of it. I would like to know how to make it and what to have it with please.

V

violakat

Hello

Yesterday in the prayer room somebody said that they made plum butter.
I not sure if it is American anyway it intrigued me i phoned my friend up asking about plum butter she has not heard of it. I would like to know how to make it and what to have it with please.
I've never heard of it either. Plum preserves yes, but butter, no. Will look it up and see what I can find

L

LadySpeedStick

They most likely meant Plum jam. In the south, they call apple jam apple "butter" as well. Could be wrong though. =]

Oct 31, 2011
Plum butter is really just another way of saying Plum jam, but it isn’t made with pectin but simply by boiling the plums with sugar. Apple butter is made in the same way. It is very easy to burn the butter, so needs to be stirred often and cooked over low heat. Plum butter is better when the plums are ground in a processor or mill sometime during the cooking. I used about 2 parts plums to 1 part sugar. Adding a little water to get it started helps. You don’t need to be precise, but decide how sweet you like it. The sugar helps thicken the jam.

I read that if you freeze some plates to use for putting a dab on to test for doneness, it helps. It should be almost as thick as jam, I think, but you can choose how thick you like it.

I always added some coarsely ground walnuts to the plum butter, I think it makes both taste better. Adding a little lemon juice is also helpful.

I like the look and taste of jams made with pectin better. The long slow cooking turns the fruit rather dark.

V

violakat

Thx, Red. Was wondering if it was Jam, or something different.

May 28, 2012
peaceful solitude was the chatter who makes plum butter.