Politics in your church (USA)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Do you think it is proper for a church in the US to discuss political issues and candidates? Is it proper for churches and/or pastors to recommend a candidate or positions on issues?

What about the legal requirements regarding being non-profit and not paying certain taxes if a church does dabble (or jump in head first) in politics? If a church does include politics (and suggest voting decisions), should they lose their tax free status?

Does your church tell you how to vote? Do your church pastor(s)/leader(s) include politics in the messages and discussions? :cool:

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Because churches in the U.S. are 501(c)(3) corporations,
it is illegal for them to endorse, contribute to, or work for,
a specific political candidate.

This doesn't mean they can't legally discuss politics,
but it does make political discourse a bit precarious.
Churches, legally, have to be careful in this area.

"Right and wrong", and "should and shouldn't", are irrelevant terms.
There are specific laws, and those laws have to be followed.

May 9, 2012
My pastor who just retired of 50 years back in September was not scared of the Government. We have no reasons to be scared of them. They may take away our physical freedoms but they cannot take away the freedoms we have in Christ. He did a sermon back in July last year on the spiritual declination of the country and how he mentioned that governments who do not accept Christianity in general end up dealing with problems in the future. He asked a vital question: "Why should we expect our country to be mighty and powerful if we no longer welcome a mighty and powerful God anymore?"

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
We don't discuss politics in church, we pray for the country and politicians. I think it would be inappropriate for a church to try to sway your vote or discuss political beliefs.

D

danschance

I don't think politics has a place in church. For one, it tends to divide people. I wish some people put as much time and energy in politics into serving Jesus. Time is running out. Yet the lukewarm christian is more interested in news and sports scores than the bible.

I have refused to vote at all.

Q

Quakerguy

I don't think Politics should be mentioned at a Church at all. They should mention Jesus instead.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I have told this before on here, but I left a church I really liked last year because the pastor started preaching politics every sunday starting September or so. he read letters from the founding fathers of the U.S. and not the Bible. he did sermons on God would destroy us if we re-elected Obama and we should fast and pray that he would not be.

Jan 8, 2013
Once a "Pastor" signs a 501c3 contract, and agrees to abide by the rules in the corporate charter, they are no longer a true new testament church. Go read up on the 501c3 issue, and the long list of things they cant preach on. 99 percent of U.S. churches are like this, and its wrong.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I think it's fine for people to casually discuss politics in the church, but I don't think the pastor should be trying to sway peoples' opinion toward a certain candidate. You'll notice that the New Testament writers didn't say much about politics except "obey who is in charge." I don't mind if a pastor mentions in his sermon how a particular bill or law is moral/immoral. But to spend an entire sermon on it... no, that's not good.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Has anyone heard of a church that has had it's tax-free status revoked because it crossed the line and told people how to vote? :cool:

May 12, 2013
It's called seperation from church and state for a reason. Seperates religion from politics, the way it should always be

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
Personally i think people wether church people or not need to get to gather an over throw this goverment we have now an install a new one should have been done along time ago but unfortuntly i dont think itll ever happen cause we know from the bible things will get alot worse before they get better.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
If you people in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) want to change things in your country, government and society, I suggest you fulfill Paul's injunction in 1Tim 2v1-8...

Yahweh Shalom

IDEAtor

Aug 15, 2012
This subject is even murkier, when one considers a pastor's Facebook post. YikeS! :S
I love my pastor, but the opinions are waaaayyy to political on FB.

Do you think it is proper for a church in the US to discuss political issues and candidates? Is it proper for churches and/or pastors to recommend a candidate or positions on issues?

What about the legal requirements regarding being non-profit and not paying certain taxes if a church does dabble (or jump in head first) in politics? If a church does include politics (and suggest voting decisions), should they lose their tax free status?

Does your church tell you how to vote? Do your church pastor(s)/leader(s) include politics in the messages and discussions? :cool:

G

Grey

Separation between state and church more like it ;]

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I think the church should mention politics some. Politics, and what the candidates stand for does affect Christians. I support anyone who is willing to discuss political issues and what the bible says about it. Many ministers where I live do this. They don't harp on who is conservative or liberal. They mention what candidates support, and they point out what the bible says about it.
There is nothing wrong with this at all.