Poor America: Some kids are making ketchup soup

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
Re: i saw this and thought i would share it

Just heartbreaking. I always knew there were poor families even in middle class neighborhoods because the church is always mentioning them and collecting donations for them, but this is the first time I've seen anyone interview the children. I wish I could donate a lot more.

K

keep_on_smiling

Re: i saw this and thought i would share it

It's so hard to watch things like this and know that children/people are going hungry even in our own neighborhoods. Often times it easy to assume that the problem with people going hungry takes place in the poorest countries and that just isn't true. I know some schools in my state have programs where they send food home with certain children on the weekends for this very reason. I think it's wise to be aware of the need around us. Thank you for sharing.

Dec 26, 2014
still Yahweh's Word , always true ----->>>
[h=1] Matthew 10 The Message (MSG)[/h] 10 [SUP]1-4 [/SUP]The prayer was no sooner prayed than it was answered. Jesus called twelve of his followers and sent them into the ripe fields. He gave them power to kick out the evil spirits and to tenderly care for the bruised and hurt lives. This is the list of the twelve he sent:
Simon (they called him Peter, or “Rock”),
Andrew, his brother,
James, Zebedee’s son,
John, his brother,
Philip,
Bartholomew,
Thomas,
Matthew, the tax man,
James, son of Alphaeus,
Thaddaeus,
Simon, the Canaanite,
Judas Iscariot (who later turned on him).

[SUP]5-8 [/SUP]Jesus sent his twelve harvest hands out with this charge:
“Don’t begin by traveling to some far-off place to convert unbelievers. And don’t try to be dramatic by tackling some public enemy. Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them that the kingdom is here. Bring health to the sick. Raise the dead. Touch the untouchables. Kick out the demons. You have been treated generously, so live generously.
[SUP]9-10 [/SUP]“Don’t think you have to put on a fund-raising campaign before you start. You don’t need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This is nothing new. There has always been a segment of our population that resides below the poverty line. There have always been poor, hungry, homeless people in America. Don't understand how anyone could be shocked by this.

Guess what? There are also poor, hungry, homeless children in Great Britain, and across Europe, and the rest of the world.

Now, I certainly appreciate the "God bless you" from Baddog.....and I return it twice over. But this isn't anything new.

Anyway...........

Oct 30, 2014
As far as I am aware the US benefit system isn't supposed to substitute a wage, only augment a low income, so those who have no jobs (where there technically are not even enough jobs for everyone in the country) essentially live off an amount of money that is simply insufficient as a total amount of income.

I believe the cap for a family of four is around $900 per month, which is about £582 here in the UK. For a family of four that's simply not enough. Rent for a three bedroom house (assuming the family is a father, mother, boy and girl, which means by law that the girl and boy cannot sleep in the same room, thus three bedrooms are needed) can be anywhere from £400 upwards (which is, from what Im told, about poverty level rent in the US, too) leaving only £182 per month for all the utilities (electricity, oil or gas, water), for food, for clothing, for travel expenses.

It's just insufficient, point blank.

Obviously there are people who think ''well why should my taxes be given away to someone else?'' To be honest, that seems to be an antithetical attitude to ''feed the hungry, clothe the poor''.