Prayer for pressure?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
THANK YOU for this verse. There are several verses that help me sleep easier at night and this is one of them. Knowing that God directs my steps, and that the impossibility of salvation is made possible through God, and that all things are made good and perfect through God's work is comfort to broken hearts.

The church I went to this morning, the pastor dude talked about how nothing is a coincidence. I tend to agree. We simply do not have the options we think we do, and God brings circumstances into our lives for a reason. I'm sure we could debate the topic, and very well may, but I'll stop here for now. :)

A

arwen83

The church I went to this morning, the pastor dude talked about how nothing is a coincidence. I tend to agree. We simply do not have the options we think we do, and God brings circumstances into our lives for a reason. I'm sure we could debate the topic, and very well may, but I'll stop here for now. :)
Hehe that made me giggle. Technical term Aimee?

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
Hehe that made me giggle. Technical term Aimee?

Yep! I can't remember his name. It's Matt or Mark or Mitch... Either way, I'm going to start attending. I really enjoyed the entire service and I felt like it was the place for me to be for a while.

P

Powemm

So I was reading a devotional this morning and it really gave me a lot to think about. At a time where the church is getting over packed with excessive amounts of optimism (which really has no biblical basis) what is our first inclination to do when someone asks for prayer? Usually when someone asks for prayer they're going through a difficult time, and so our inclination is to pray for that pressure to be relieved right? We empathize with them, feel sorry for them and pray that God will just help them get out of the mess and have some relief.

The devotion I read challenged this way of thinking. "And when you begin to see that person in the middle of a difficult and painful struggle, don't try to prevent it, but pray that his difficulty will grow even ten times stronger, until no power on earth or in hell could hold him away from Jesus Christ...We are indeed amateurs, coming in and actually preventing God's will and saying, 'this person should not have to experience this difficulty.'...Instead our sympathy gets in the way. One day that person will say to us, 'You are a thief; you stole my desire to follow Jesus, and because of you I have lost sight of Him."

Thoughts?

Good thread zoa,

First thought that comes to mind is "god wants the first of everything "
I found I had two areas I was not dealing with this properly after closer examination .. Those being pride and yielding ..,number one, thinking I can take care of anything Wich is a burden for someone else better than God can.. and second, lifting all up to God "who can bear the weight" of the burden better than I can.. since looking at that I am more ept to comfort more than fix , and listen more than talk.. This may sound funny , but I picture each of us with a basket in our hands. I am at a place now where I am beginning to automatically assume what I come to you with is going to "first be handed up to God, no matter what it is" this keeps me accountable to God and not to the person.. same goes for the person coming to me .. Everything they come to me with I "first" Lift up to God .. I find this keeps me accountable in my responses and actions to God before the individual I'm speaking with .. I hope that makes sense..

prayers are an opportunity to call on God..
an opportunity to converse with Him as well...

Often times we try to first hand our burdens and our requests to others before "first" handing them to God..
I think reminding how available God is and has been in our own burdens and requests is helpful to remind others to do the same ..
I certainly will pray .. thanking God for the opportunity of what He is bringing to get a good look at my own heart towards Him..

I dont remember where I read this .. But it has stuck with me ..
Lord , may my integrity never leave you ..

I find opportunity when such things come my way..

Z

zaoman32

Good thread zoa,

First thought that comes to mind is "god wants the first of everything "
I found I had two areas I was not dealing with this properly after closer examination .. Those being pride and yielding ..,number one, thinking I can take care of anything Wich is a burden for someone else better than God can.. and second, lifting all up to God "who can bear the weight" of the burden better than I can.. since looking at that I am more ept to comfort more than fix , and listen more than talk.. This may sound funny , but I picture each of us with a basket in our hands. I am at a place now where I am beginning to automatically assume what I come to you with is going to "first be handed up to God, no matter what it is" this keeps me accountable to God and not to the person.. same goes for the person coming to me .. Everything they come to me with I "first" Lift up to God .. I find this keeps me accountable in my responses and actions to God before the individual I'm speaking with .. I hope that makes sense..

prayers are an opportunity to call on God..
an opportunity to converse with Him as well...

Often times we try to first hand our burdens and our requests to others before "first" handing them to God..
I think reminding how available God is and has been in our own burdens and requests is helpful to remind others to do the same ..
I certainly will pray .. thanking God for the opportunity of what He is bringing to get a good look at my own heart towards Him..

I dont remember where I read this .. But it has stuck with me ..
Lord , may my integrity never leave you ..

I find opportunity when such things come my way..
GREAT thoughts Powemm. One thing I did fail to mention was that the title for this particular excerpt was "I must decrease so He can increase", I just thought of that as I read your first few lines. I also love the idea of giving things up to God before venting on others, and before taking action to help others. Very wise thoughts

P

Powemm

I really don't just " hand it to God zoa .. I gotta be honest here and tell it like it really is. It really depends on what's happening ..
If it's something frustrating I'm more like " dude" ya better get your glove on cause I'm putting some stank behind this throw to get it to you..
Or if it's something really awesome I'm more like an all star basketball player handing it to my home boy upstairs .. he deserves to have a good slam dunk!!!
it's all about the relationship.. i just prefer to make mine fun with him when i can.. God laughs too ya know!

P

Powemm

I'm a little different zoa, a little to far out of the box ? Maybe?
it sure is free though . I just can't help
Myself .. I'm guitly im guilty I'm guitly i tell ya .. so be it! Lol
There is freedom in Christ
Sincerely

in the twilight zone :)