Prayer in the U.S. Workplace

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 1, 2014
This is a long story so I'll share it in bullet points:

1. I work for a company owned by an Hasidic Jew who has total contempt for Jesus.
2. He is only in the office one day a month.
3. He has mezuzahs on every door frame and no one is allowed to eat in the office during Passover.
4. Christians are not at liberty to display their faith like having a picture of Jesus on their desk.
5. We have meetings every Wednesday (which he does not attend) and begin with a prayer.
6. We are not allowed to invoke Jesus' name in those prayers.
7. Yesterday before the meeting a few of us said a prayer in my office and invoked Jesus' name.
8. The director who is not Christian informed us we are not permitted to do this.
9. The CEO was informed. He's a good guy but does not want any waves.
10. Many of us are upset. Especially because his faith is shoved down our throats.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I know, I know, maybe its time to leave.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The things is that he is the one who cuts the checks so he gets to make the rules. The best thing that you can do in this situation is to remain calm, do your job, and to silently set a good Christian example. The only time to leave is when we get our ticket punched.

Dec 1, 2014
The things is that he is the one who cuts the checks so he gets to make the rules. The best thing that you can do in this situation is to remain calm, do your job, and to silently set a good Christian example. The only time to leave is when we get our ticket punched.
Thank you, Brother. This may come as a surprise to you, but I actually am very calm. Maybe its because I feel a bit empty right now. Please keep us in prayer.

K

kennethcadwell

I like what tourist said already, and I just wanted to add that we can still pray within our hearts.
The prayer does not have to been done out loud, or with your head lowered or raised. You can sit there and carry a conversation with the Lord and pray to God in your mind and heart without moving your lips. He knows where you stand, and this man may try to control your outer actions but he can not control your inner actions of the heart.....

God bless

A

AgeofKnowledge

I honestly think you should get an expert legal opinion. Contact the Pacific Justice Institute and talk with them. It's free and you'll learn a lot that will help you make wise decisions.

Contact Us - Pacific Justice Institute

1. I work for a company owned by an Hasidic Jew who has total contempt for Jesus.
3. He has mezuzahs on every door frame and no one is allowed to eat in the office during Passover.
4. Christians are not at liberty to display their faith like having a picture of Jesus on their desk.
5. We have meetings every Wednesday (which he does not attend) and begin with a prayer.
7. Yesterday before the meeting a few of us said a prayer in my office and invoked Jesus' name.
8. The director who is not Christian informed us we are not permitted to do this.
10. Many of us are upset. Especially because his faith is shoved down our throats.

Dec 1, 2014
Thank you, Brother Ken. What you just shared is very moving and immediately inspired me.

Thank you and God bless you!

Dec 26, 2014

why leave? why is anyone upset ?

Dec 26, 2014
(and no, if you're a servant of christ jesus, do not take anyone to court. that's contradictory i think.)

G

Galahad

Thank you, Brother. This may come as a surprise to you, but I actually am very calm. Maybe its because I feel a bit empty right now. Please keep us in prayer.
Faith is powerful. A person would feel 'a bit empty' in being directly told by a supervisor, boss, manager, CEO that praying in Jesus' name is forbidden. So on and so forth.

Such times and incidents draw me to Jesus and His submission to the Father. You know what I am talking about. "As a lamb dumb before his shearer, so He opened not His mouth." And too, "Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously." 1 Peter 2.23.

The things written aforetime were written to edify and strengthen us. In your case, the test is not what you do, but what you can't do. You can't practice your faith with others, not even in YOUR OFFICE. (That is important. Won't discuss it now.)

Continue to be an example in keeping a quiet and gentle spirit with this issue at your work.

And know of a surety, you are serving the Lord. In this rejoice. For, no matter how wide their phylacteries, nor how long the border of their garments, nor how great a number of amulets they be hanging, the truth is: Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Him you serve.

C

cmarieh

First off I am so sorry that you are going through something like this. It seems that this is actually becoming more and more common and it is totally wrong. I mean our country was founded on the gospel of Jesus Christ and people just can't seem to comprehend that. I agree with everyone on here that you need to abide by the rules of the company, but that doesn't mean that you can't be praying for them in silence. All you can do is be the light that shines at this workplace, lead by example. My dad works for a company that is somewhat similar to what you described and he always feels so drained when he comes home. I have told him that the reason why his boss has such a problem with him is because who he has in his heart and every time he sees him, his boss is convicted and doesn't like it. I believe that is the same with your boss. I will be praying for strength, courage, your light to shine brighter, and because of you leading by example you would planting seeds in this man.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Actually, he does not get to make ALL the rules. There are Federal Regulations which preempt many "rules" business owners like to put in place.

One of them is "creating a hostile work environment." And if I were you, I would also do some research on his promoting his religion/beliefs on his employees. Separation of Church and State usually is based on Government properties, but in some instances, it can be extended to the work place. No employee can be forced to "practice" a religion they are not a part of, even as a "term of employment."

Personally, this guy is dangerously close to violating one or more Federal Regulations. As for bring suit, yes you should, if you do the research and discover that he is in fact in violation of Federal Regulations. And, yes, it is perfectly acceptable for a Christian to do so.

The only time Paul spoke of this was when he was speaking of one believer of a congregation suing another believer of that same congregation............that is far different than this.

I would take action if it were me. But, that decision is yours, and any other employee who may be disturbed by the work environment this person has created.