praying for an ended relationship??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hislostlamb

ok my ex & i were together for four years off & on (not married & hving sex :/). two years ago he dumped me & i prayed a very specific prayer. i prayed that if he was "the one" that im supposed to marry, be with the rest of my life or until the world ends, & have a family with to send him back to me. i asked for signs. i received the signs & he did come back four months later.
we were together for these last two years consecutively but the last day of june he said he wasnt in love with me any more because he couldnt handle my mood swings. i have mood swings but those were mainly from trying to tell him things he would do that upset me & he would get so mad so i resorted back to keeping it in so i didnt have to fight with him.
should i just pray to heal & move on, or continue to pray that same prayer? i feel like this is a learning experience for us both. we still talk via text daily. i thanked him last night for dumping me it's helped me get even closer to god and has helped my faith grow stronger & stronger. is it possible that he is the one & we need this to grow spiritually? ive been getting the same signs some are diff. my sister's due date has jumped a week & it just so happens that her baby will share his birthday. i googled scriptures for something & the one i read first was in the book that he shares a name with. i've heard/seen his name frequently also lol. im just confused because of the specific prayer & signs.
has anyone else said a prayer for the return of a relationship? is this wrong?

R

rauleetoe

Sometimes we can pray and pray..when what we need to do..is not have wishbone..but have backbone. My 'prayer' for you is that you seek after God, and not be anymore codependent on this guy..love yourself, Love God..and I think it is also possible that you are looking so earnestly for 'signs' and not seeking the one, Jesus..remember there were those who sought after signs from Jesus, he rebuked them and didn't always comply. You need faith in Jesus..not some sign or manifestation..
You're young..and sound like you need to work on things..some things will only be worked on when we are not in a relationship and can only focus on ourselves and take self inventory. It is scary as ever yes..but i have been there myself. Use this time to learn from this, work on getting more a spine and self love/worth that you will not need a man to validate you...then and only then will you be good for any guy(btw, is this guy a christian even)..
just had to share..the signs are 'there' because you want them to be..but it may just be mere coincidence.

M

meggerz

everything happens for a reason, God has his plans and he has your life laid out for you. He will settle everything and put pieces together that may or may not make sense at the time. However, in time the puzzle will begin to make sense and the murky water will become as clear as a mountain spring. Don't doubt God's plans for you. He will handle it all. Just follow his will faithfully and willingly.

In the bible there are a few verses which I think you may find helpful in this situation.

-Mark 12:24 "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer , believe that you have recieved it and it will be yours."

-Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

God bless you.

U

Ugly

I'd first scrap this 'the one' mindset. There is no biblical support for the idea only one person is created for another. I was not created for marriage to a specific person. I was created to worship and obey God. And hopefully, during my time here i can find someone to marry and be happy with.
The idea of 'the one' also somewhat subjects a person to not having a choice. If someone is created with the intent of being married to another specific person, then neither of those people get a choice. You are destined to and required now to marry, whether you like it or not. And you are thereby required to marry one person, like them or not. And by not being married to 'the one' you would be going against Gods will.
Paul even says, stay single if possible. 'If possible' indicates a choice in marriage or singleness. If you are predetermined to marry one specific one, that is not a choice.

J

Jullianna

If the guy came right out and told you that he doesn't love you, I think it's important to respect that and move on. That's not an easy thing to tell someone. You really have to mean it to say it.

A first love lost is a very difficult thing to get over and leave behind. You really can though. Four years is plenty of time to find out whether a thing is going to work or not.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the signs seem more like wishful thinking. Being real with yourself is always a huge step toward healing.

GOD_IS_LOVE

Mar 16, 2009
I'd first scrap this 'the one' mindset. There is no biblical support for the idea only one person is created for another. I was not created for marriage to a specific person. I was created to worship and obey God. And hopefully, during my time here i can find someone to marry and be happy with.
The idea of 'the one' also somewhat subjects a person to not having a choice. If someone is created with the intent of being married to another specific person, then neither of those people get a choice. You are destined to and required now to marry, whether you like it or not. And you are thereby required to marry one person, like them or not. And by not being married to 'the one' you would be going against Gods will.
Paul even says, stay single if possible. 'If possible' indicates a choice in marriage or singleness. If you are predetermined to marry one specific one, that is not a choice.
God says: " I know the plans I have for you." If these plans include marriage, I'm sure He's thought of the right person, too.

I

iraasuup

If the guy came right out and told you that he doesn't love you, I think it's important to respect that and move on. That's not an easy thing to tell someone. You really have to mean it to say it.

A first love lost is a very difficult thing to get over and leave behind. You really can though. Four years is plenty of time to find out whether a thing is going to work or not.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the signs seem more like wishful thinking. Being real with yourself is always a huge step toward healing.

Good advice here! It's true. At least he had the courage now to tell you his real feelings. It's better you endure this pain now, so you can move on. With time, you will heal.

I have experienced similar, except I was married for 7 years believing he loved me when he never did. He came right out and told me he never loved me and only married me for sex. Yeah.. guess how that made me feel. This was after years of trying to understand his behaviour, and why he did certain things (that just made me upset/mad). Now, I look back and realise, he didn't care about my feelings at all, he just did what pleased himself, so while I jumped high and low trying to hold the marriage together, he made no effort, because he never wanted to be married!

So, my advice to you is this. I know it hurts. No woman ever wants to be told she isn't loved. But take the time you need to heal. DO NOT jump right into another relationship... rebound relationships are the worst. Yes, it's lonely, yes it hurts. But trust in God. Look at the mistakes in this relationship, and take time to examine your own behaviour. Take note of the things you can change to make your next relaionship work better, and look at this as a learning curve. If you let Him, God will move mountains in your life...and this could all work out to shaping you into being the woman God has called you to be. There is sanctification in suffering. I truly believe we sometimes have to endure all the junk in life, and get past it, in order to get to that beautiful place.

God bless.

Jun 24, 2010
Good advice here! It's true. At least he had the courage now to tell you his real feelings. It's better you endure this pain now, so you can move on. With time, you will heal.

I have experienced similar, except I was married for 7 years believing he loved me when he never did. He came right out and told me he never loved me and only married me for sex. Yeah.. guess how that made me feel. This was after years of trying to understand his behaviour, and why he did certain things (that just made me upset/mad). Now, I look back and realise, he didn't care about my feelings at all, he just did what pleased himself, so while I jumped high and low trying to hold the marriage together, he made no effort, because he never wanted to be married!

So, my advice to you is this. I know it hurts. No woman ever wants to be told she isn't loved. But take the time you need to heal. DO NOT jump right into another relationship... rebound relationships are the worst. Yes, it's lonely, yes it hurts. But trust in God. Look at the mistakes in this relationship, and take time to examine your own behaviour. Take note of the things you can change to make your next relaionship work better, and look at this as a learning curve. If you let Him, God will move mountains in your life...and this could all work out to shaping you into being the woman God has called you to be. There is sanctification in suffering. I truly believe we sometimes have to endure all the junk in life, and get past it, in order to get to that beautiful place.

God bless.