Premarital Sex

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 13, 2012
Please don't make the mistakes I did, wait until you are married, and please do some praying and learn to place God first, he wont steer you wrong.

J

jimmydiggs

Okay, my question then to you all is: What is marriage as defined by God and the bible? Obviously in biblical times they didn't have what we consider now as marriage, you didn't have to make vows or exchange rings or sign papers. As long as you knew you were husband and wife, you were considered married, correct?
Romans 13.

Sex before marriage is called fornication. It is a sin.

1DeeDee

In the Word, God has set up the structure of premarital sex being destructive toward yourself.

1 Corinth 6:18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

He does not set up this structure to hinder us but to protect us from harm.

Please reconsider and know that God is not a God of confusion. Perhaps moving in with a boyfriend was a little premature and that's what is bring on the confusion.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
The last two pages have been full of madness and diatribes. The question in the original post was answered within the first few responses. However, here's my opinion.

Premarital sex is a sin. End of story. There are several places in the bible which tell us so. What isn't biblical is bashing a fellow believer for their opinions. Should we correct one another? Yes, by all means, but we must do so in love. IN LOVE. So Barlygurl, Seth, cool your jets!

And Barleygurl, don't forget that Jesus was teaching in the temple at 12. Just because Seth is 17 doesn't mean he hasn't made a smart point or five.

S

Seth

The last two pages have been full of madness and diatribes. The question in the original post was answered within the first few responses. However, here's my opinion.

Premarital sex is a sin. End of story. There are several places in the bible which tell us so. What isn't biblical is bashing a fellow believer for their opinions. Should we correct one another? Yes, by all means, but we must do so in love. IN LOVE. So Barlygurl, Seth, cool your jets!

And Barleygurl, don't forget that Jesus was teaching in the temple at 12. Just because Seth is 17 doesn't mean he hasn't made a smart point or five.
Ehh, struck a pet peeve. Long story.

But, I agree with your post. Bible explicitly states that it's sin. But, I'm interesting in understanding the why's behind it. I've never known God to do anything without a reason.

I'm currently contemplating the idea that sex is an important medium of communication, which can be given as much or as little as meaning as possible. In the context of an ideal marriage formed out of true love (Comprised of both the feeling of being in love, and the action of loving.), I suspect that it gains far more meaning than it would if shared casually between ones' multiple "likes". In that sense, it allows a greater consummation to the covenant of marriage than it would if it weren't exclusive. Just a raw thought for now.

The other part, is that God foresaw problems that would arise if a woman conceived without a husband figure to help raise, and teach the child. It's difficult for one parent to make ends meet and bring up their child(ren) to be upstanding people. This would line up with the steady degradation of westernized society. Seems to be related to the acceptance of casual sex.

May 9, 2012
I understand this feeling quite well myself. I used to struggle with this a lot as a teenager and into my 20s. I still struggle with it. Like Paul, I know it's wrong but I continue to do it anyways. Eventually, it got to where I desensitized myself to it and God "handed me over" to it..so to speak. But eventually, I am with someone who helps in this aspect and we have both made it a principle never to have relations with each other until marriage. I made a promise to my dad a while back and I broke it. He still doesn't know about it but eventually the Holy Spirit convicted me, over time, that it needs to be saved for marriage. When a person has intercourse with someone, their bodies become one unit. They become one in the same. Suppose this relationship you are in now doesn't work out like you both plan on it due to whatever circumstances, imagine having to tell that person you aren't a virgin. Hope this helps :)

A

Ariel82

I guess I am in a catch 22 because I don't believe in having a 'courthouse wedding' and then having a traditional wedding, a marriage should only be performed once in my eyes and I do not want to get married until I can afford a traditional wedding where all of our families and friends can attend.
why don't you have a smaller wedding ceremony and a large wedding reception when you can afford it?

If you have a pastor you and your boyfriend trust and just a few witnesses, you could perform a small ceremony for just a few hundred dollars or if you want it larger, have a potluck reception and get family and friends to help with decorations.

You have to remember there is more to having sex then just joining two people together. there is the possibility of creating a third person and if you became pregnant would you still want to wait on the whole wedding?

have you considered Christian marriage counseling?

our pastor made us meet with him at least 3 times before agreeing to marry us.

Jan 11, 2013
Premarital sex creates an obligation to marry in scripture. It isn't a sin in and of itself so long as it's dealt with properly.

It can become a kind of fornication or even a type of adultery very easily if the couple where to break up. It's a type of betrothal, so the breakup would cause adultery.. But it doesn't in and of itself qualify as a sin anywhere in scripture.

Just do a shotgun wedding if you must.

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
it takes a hardcore Christian or a dedicated Christian to accept what am about to say
1) God wants to be involved even before the aspect of dating, HE wants to choose for us the dude we are going to spend till death do us apart with. Many people assume GOD has answered their prayers because they get something near to what they want in a man. But our thoughts are NOT HIS, to what we know is what HE knows. there are indeed many factors that GOD considers before HE gives us a spouse. So i would advice that you start here, its hard but you must. because basically even if people years and years in marriage even to their old age. It does not mean that GOD wanted them to be together, but it just reached a place they were satisfied with what they had, instead of what GOD wanted them to have you dig?
First thing is first,3 years of dating or a relationship does not justify GODS hand in it. but what i believe you need to do is start a fresh with HIM, and make sureand i mean very sure that HE is the one for you. and if HE is and are sure. then we move to number 2

2) Sex before marriage is fornication, and GOD commanded (there is no way out of this) that sex MUST BE AFTER MARRIAGE.THERE is only YES TO THIS. rebel at your own expense really. and you know marriage is not all about Sex my friend, it is far stretched, way far stretched than that. sex is a part that is truly not the foundation of marriage. since women grow to ages that they no longer desire it.

Marriage is about fulfilling what GOD has called you to do on earth TOGETHER in all aspects. EVE was Adams sidekick sort of speak(no offense). Marriage is making two people ONE,you know sharing that bond through which none can find a way to separate.Marriage should be kept HOLY always, and two that get married MUST BE BORNAGAIN, that is GOD loving people.
no offense but 22 is very early to get married,and if you worry that maybe he will be taken, then you just gotta make sure that doesnt happen through prayer.
but there are many aspects people have to get through before marriage. and each is vital.. so before you do this, i suggest read spiritual books that talk about it, read a lot of them. so you may see if you are ready. dont rush into it and always seek GODS face on it. and trust me on this, that you should be a hardcore christian. so spend more time with GOD, submit all that is yours and about you to HIM and trust HIM. whether some biblical translations you do not agree with it or not,what matters is the TRUTH, and the SPIRIT will teach you on what is true or not.
Fear not TRUST GOD, His hands are safe to submit to.

Dont submit, do it at your own expense.

GOD BLESS YOU.

A

Anonimous

Premarital sex creates an obligation to marry in scripture. It isn't a sin in and of itself so long as it's dealt with properly.

It can become a kind of fornication or even a type of adultery very easily if the couple where to break up. It's a type of betrothal, so the breakup would cause adultery.. But it doesn't in and of itself qualify as a sin anywhere in scripture.

Just do a shotgun wedding if you must.
romans 13. it is called fornication...a sin...not a down payment on a possible future marriage.

S

spacefreak

GOD created sex for marriage, if it feels wrong then it's your spirit or guilty consence telling you not to do it

Oct 31, 2011
I say do it if it feels right. We are human and should not be denied carnal pleasures. God will NOT send you to hell for this.
In the spiritual realm, sex is much, much more than carnal pleasure. We live in a material world, but there is a spiritual dimension to our world and in that dimension sex plays a big part. Frankly, I don't understand all of what sex represents, I only understand it is important.

There weren't both men and women until part of Adam was made into woman. It is through sex that the two become one again. The bible calls women harlots who have sex with many. There seems to be a spiritual meaning to the word harlot, too, having to do with rejecting the Lord as the one true God.

Sex without committment also has earthly results.. It involves denying ourselves the deep joy of bonding in marriage to just one person.

It is a powerful force both for joy when it is used within the way the spiritual realm works, and deep sorrow often resulting when it is not.

Jan 11, 2013
romans 13. it is called fornication...a sin...not a down payment on a possible future marriage.
Do you even know what Romans 13 says or did you just pick a verse at random and quote it? Romans 13 doesn't even talk about fornication...

Anyway I know what fornication means, and mentioned it in my post. It seems you don't...