Preparing your kids for emergencies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

keep_on_smiling

Growing up my sisters and I obviously watched too many scary movies. We were always paranoid that something bad was going to happen, such as being kidnapped. We always tried to prepare ourselves, even in what seemed like silly ways. For example my sisters and I taught ourselves sign language so that we could speak to one another in a quiet way if needed.

We were kids and being super paranoid, but with the way is today, IT IS GOOD to prepare your kids for emergency situations. Don't shelter them in a way where you hide the truth of what could happen. I know there is a limit as to what you say, but prepare them.

With the recent events that have taken place in school, we have been practicing lock downs. It is such an unnerving thing to practice, I can't imagine what it's like for real nor do I want to know. My point is, parents should talk with there kids about what to do in situations. My students have gained a lot from these drills and though they can be upsetting they teach the kids what to do.

If you have any of your own stories about how you prepare your children/students feel free to post.

J

Jenjoy

I think it's a good idea to prepare them. it might help save their lives. I read a story that Mr. Rogers wrote. When he was young his Mom told him to look for the helpers, there will always be people helping. I told my kids to do that as well as listen very carefully to what the teacher want you to do.

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
I don't have own kids (which im little sad about) nor I have students but Im leader in scouts where we regulary train first aid and survival skills. Once I have had to use those skills myself when I was withnessing a bike accident.
Me and my bro were driving downhill with bikes. my bro went ahead and signaled to me to drive carefully because road was slippery and instantly he lost balance and hit his head to road. Good thing he had helmet but he got still quite bad concussion and scratches all over himself.
It was to me to check his situation and call ambulance.

alienx7587

Jul 10, 2011
As Jenjoy was saying, I think it's important to do the drills with the kids. However, I feel like the drills that teachers go through don't take things far enough. Take the CT shooting for example, from what I understand the teachers had students huddled in corners of the classroom. While in some cases this is the best option, I feel like having all the kids in one spot is a set up for a terrible blood bath.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Sandy-Hook school is a single story (ground level) building. If I were a teacher I would definitely consider locking the classroom door and shoving kids out the window (even if I have to break said window) and telling them to run for the nearest house/wooded area and wait for me. I realize, of course, that this is all assuming I would be able to keep my cool during the crazy confusion of the situation and that the kids were old enough to comprehend instructions.

I'm interested to see what happens to the school in Ohio that approved mandatory conceal carry for their properly trained/licensed staff members. I'm guessing they're not going to have any gun problems there.

As for personal stories, let's just say I was always prepared to defend myself in high school/college with some sort of weapon (knife). If necessary, the best thing I had for a shield to block with was my backpack with textbooks 4 deep! I'm convinced that thing could definitely stop a bullet or a knife! :p

Thankfully I've never had to fire any of my guns at anyone, but I have had to use them to protect the meek. :)

K

keep_on_smiling

I agree with you alienx7587, I don't think the drills teachers are taught to do are enough. I do think that practicing something rather than nothing is better though. The best part of the drills is for the students to realize when they hear a certain alarm, there is something serious happening. The students I work with need practice getting out of the halls when hearing this alarm because if they didn't, they would freeze up and not know what to do.

Above anything else it doesn't matter how much practice we have for situations, we will never be ready to handle emergencies 100%. We just need to trust that the Lord's hand is on His people.

I started this thread after talking with a family that decided not to tell their 4 children about recent school shootings. I disagree with their decision because it isn't preparing children for the worst of situations. Kids need to be aware of what is going on around them. They don't need to know all the details, but they should know that bad things happen.