Presumptions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tobby17

Can we really tell how people are?, or do we just make presumptions?.. I was thinking today, and i had this very funny thought in my mind (Maybe not funny to you :D). But i just thought it was worth posting and ask if it's possible to really KNOW people!.. Like can we discern people's characters or we just make presumptions from what we see or hear?.. Which might not be the Person's real CHARACTER..

So the story goes like this...

Benny and Katherine go on a date, and Katherine blabs through out about how she loves her Parents and how she loves Basketball, and bla bla bla. And she tells the story about how men Piss her off, and how he was lucky to have her etc.. And goes on talk about how big her family is and continues to tell him stories that had happened to her since she was 5.. Benny on the other hand, says almost nothing, just quiet all through, actually he didn't care about almost anything she had been blabbing about..lol.

Now the both go to their separate homes and are asked what they thought about each other.. So Benny replies *She talks too much, simply annoying!. We couldn't even have a decent meal, she just spent the whole time talking about irrelevant things.*.. Katherine on the other hand replies *He's got to be the dumbest guy i've ever met, he said almost nothing. I'm not sure i want to spend the rest of my life with someone who finds it diff to make 10 sentences*.

Ok, so here is the Twist, both are right. Benny is probably right, Katherine is garrulous or he (Benny) probably thought so just because he finds it difficult to open his own mouth, or Katherine could be actually right, Benny is taciturn..lol. or she probably thought so because she(Katherine) finds it difficult to close her mouth and thinks anybody who isn't like her is TOO QUIET..

Although i feel both have a point and have done well in expressing themselves, and both think they're expressions are RIGHT, do you think they got it right or they just made CRAZY ASSUMPTIONS of each other?.. Don't we all do these when we see post things on CC and call them Wolves, Dangerous People..etc..??

K

kayem77

Hmm, interesting question. I think actions define people, if you kill someone you are a murderer, that doesn't mean that you can't be a kind person in private, but you are indeed, a murderer. If you lie, you're a liar; if you steal you are a thief, and it goes on and on. What we see or hear are not presumptions, those are facts. Maybe we can't get to know EVERYTHING about someone,maybe even I don't know everything about me, but we can see/hear their actions and words, and that's what define them. By their fruits you will know them, remember? :)
A crazy assumption would be to say that Hitler was a kind,loving, and peaceful man since he never proved to be like that. Not that he didn't have ANYTHING good in him, but we never really saw it ,thus we really don't know.

In your story I would agree with Benny that Katherine is annoying because there are social rules ,and also, as christians, there are morals; for example, in that escenario, Katherine seemed selfish since she only talked about her and her life and that was only the first date I assume. And also, talking and babbling about your life with a stranger is simply weird and inappropiate....I wouldve felt the same about her if i was in Benny's shoes haha.

If you are asking if people really show their real face when they are with us, that's different...people can pretend to be something they are not, but I think that you discover their real self over time, just pay attention to the details. Then again, by their fruits you will know them :). I think thats the key to see if someone is real.

PS. Why is it that when we need an example of a bad person , we often use Hitler? haha I remembered your other thread about him :).

T

Tobby17

Hmm, interesting question. I think actions define people, if you kill someone you are a murderer, that doesn't mean that you can't be a kind person in private, but you are indeed, a murderer. If you lie, you're a liar; if you steal you are a thief, and it goes on and on. What we see or hear are not presumptions, those are facts. Maybe we can't get to know EVERYTHING about someone,maybe even I don't know everything about me, but we can see/hear their actions and words, and that's what define them. By their fruits you will know them, remember? :)
A crazy assumption would be to say that Hitler was a kind,loving, and peaceful man since he never proved to be like that. Not that he didn't have ANYTHING good in him, but we never really saw it ,thus we really don't know.

In your story I would agree with Benny that Katherine is annoying because there are social rules ,and also, as christians, there are morals; for example, in that escenario, Katherine seemed selfish since she only talked about her and her life and that was only the first date I assume. And also, talking and babbling about your life with a stranger is simply weird and inappropiate....I wouldve felt the same about her if i was in Benny's shoes haha.

If you are asking if people really show their real face when they are with us, that's different...people can pretend to be something they are not, but I think that you discover their real self over time, just pay attention to the details. Then again, by their fruits you will know them :). I think thats the key to see if someone is real.

PS. Why is it that when we need an example of a bad person , we often use Hitler? haha I remembered your other thread about him :).
Wow, i think what you wrote made a lot of sense, and the Adolf Hitler example was really a good one..

PS: We use Adolf Hitler as an example cause he was really a bad person..lol :p

K

kayem77

Yeah I know...theres no better example, he will always be the best example hahaha (sadly, maybe)

Sep 21, 2011
Humans always makes presumptions. Every thought you have is based on a presumption.