Proof of God? Is there any?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 10, 2011
Oh... Don't forget that if the Gospels were written anywhere near 100 years after the death of Christ, they would not be written in the "late first century". Unless Christ was crucified before 0 AD, saying they were written in the late first century and claiming that they were written 100 years after the event are mutually exclusive.

I think we can dismiss this "scholarly" assertion out of hand, since it refutes itself... Unless some sources are provided?

Late first century and "About a hundred years" are not mutably exclusive though. If you are gonna use word play against someone, you have to use all their words ;)

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
Late first century and "About a hundred years" are not mutably exclusive though. If you are gonna use word play against someone, you have to use all their words ;)

...No, since "about 100 years later" would be well into the next century, upwards of 130 AD. To say that they were written "about 100" years after the death of Christ, you'd have to say that 40 years is "about 100". This isn't using word play, it's questioning Dogma's claim that the Gospels were written about a century after Christ.

Quite frankly, I think that's a bogus claim.

Nov 10, 2011
...No, since "about 100 years later" would be well into the next century, upwards of 130 AD. To say that they were written "about 100" years after the death of Christ, you'd have to say that 40 years is "about 100". This isn't using word play, it's questioning Dogma's claim that the Gospels were written about a century after Christ.

Quite frankly, I think that's a bogus claim.

Well, I think he was shooting for more the 80-110 years range. So I wouldn't say the 40 is about 100. And facts are facts. The council of Nicea officially recognized the new testament as having been written by God in 325AD. And it was noted then that Christians have been reading the new testament for 2 centuries. That is about a hundred years after Jesus' death.

Acts ends with Paul having just completed his 2-year imprisonment in Rome but without mentioning his martyrdom. Acts also does not mention the start of the Roman persecution of Christians or the destruction of Jerusalem, both monumental milestones in Christian history. This indicates that Acts was written around 62 AD.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
Well, I think he was shooting for more the 80-110 years range. So I wouldn't say the 40 is about 100. And facts are facts. The council of Nicea officially recognized the new testament as having been written by God in 325AD. And it was noted then that Christians have been reading the new testament for 2 centuries. That is about a hundred years after Jesus' death.

Acts ends with Paul having just completed his 2-year imprisonment in Rome but without mentioning his martyrdom. Acts also does not mention the start of the Roman persecution of Christians or the destruction of Jerusalem, both monumental milestones in Christian history. This indicates that Acts was written around 62 AD.

Yes, facts are facts...

Since we're discussing modern Biblical scholarship, Mark was first written in 70 AD, which is approximately forty years after the death of Christ, as mentioned earlier (some scholars at the fringe might say Mark was written even earlier, or that Christ was crucified later than 30 AD).

Later Gospels use Mark as one of their sources for information about the life of Jesus. The Gospel of John, the last one, may have been written as late as 90 AD. I don't think any of the four Gospels meet the "about 100 years" criteria. Even if the later ones did, they were using Gospels written within 40 years of Christ's death as their source.

Why are you concerned with Acts?

Nov 10, 2011
Yes, facts are facts...

Since we're discussing modern Biblical scholarship, Mark was first written in 70 AD, which is approximately forty years after the death of Christ, as mentioned earlier (some scholars at the fringe might say Mark was written even earlier, or that Christ was crucified later than 30 AD).

Later Gospels use Mark as one of their sources for information about the life of Jesus. The Gospel of John, the last one, may have been written as late as 90 AD. I don't think any of the four Gospels meet the "about 100 years" criteria. Even if the later ones did, they were using Gospels written within 40 years of Christ's death as their source.

Why are you concerned with Acts?

There should have been another part of that sentence regarding acts. I meant to mention that certainly some of the books were written well before 100 years after Jesus' death. And was just using Acts as an example. I must have cut something on accident.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
There should have been another part of that sentence regarding acts. I meant to mention that certainly some of the books were written well before 100 years after Jesus' death. And was just using Acts as an example. I must have cut something on accident.
Oh, I just found it a little odd, since I don't think Acts is typically regarded as one of the Gospels...