Prophecy or promise ? Promises of God are many, so are prophecies. But............

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

Is there a difference in the two ? Prophecy. Promises. Prophecy. Promises. Is there a thesaurus in the house :D

We STAND on the promises of God.

Do we also STAND on the prophecies of God?

Of course, we do, just like folks did in the biblical B.C. days, waiting for the Saviour, promised them by prophecy, Isaiah the prophet , Joel the prophet and all the other major and minor prophets were doing PROPHECY. Right :)

A prophet does ONE thing more than anything else - prophesy ! :)

There are NO more prophets, in the sense of Jonah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Nahum Obadiah, Joel, etc., all those guys in the OT.
But, there are apostles today, those who are STILL called by God to do His work. Now, of course, this work is not writing the bible, that's been done, it's completed, but, they can still be chosen by Him to GO (be sent) to a far-off land. What? Did Paul have a corner on the market of being an 'apostle,' peeps ? And, Matthias and Barnabus, all after The Twelve ? Something like 21 of them total, my good bro, dansnochance told me in our convo yesterday night :) Thx bro, God bless you for your study of Him , for you , for others :)

Are these prophecies (predictions of things to come by some one) just, in nowadays times, done by people of God's annointed (appointed?) hand who are called by Him to speak in 'this' prophetic way?

Does God, through His Son on EArth, give us a promise that prophecy will continue AFTER He dies on the cross ?

:) :)

Whaddya think, peeepsles :)

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I think we misuse the word prophecy now a days... We use the word as something that might happen and a prediction about a dark future...

Jesus was prophesied about... It doesn't mean God was considering about letting His son die on the cross... He promised it...

I think that is where the world prophecy looses its weight... Is because a prophecy is a promise from God, and men claim many things, and one of the best things to claim is being so trusted by God that He has allowed you to tell the world His word, His promise...

I think prophecy is a promise for sure, but a promise is not a prophecy, : A truck is a vehicle but a vehicle is not always a truck...

I also think that many who claim prophecy's are not in fact prophecies but a way to gain something for themselves, whether it be power, a following, wealth, love, or just a man who wants to watch the world burn...

I also think that phophicies are still in affect I read I believe Romans 11 or 12 and in it it explained that men still do prophecy about certain things I will try to dig for that scripture now, but my 5 minutes to edit is almost up :p

Last edited:

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Romans 12
Humble Service in the Body of Christ

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[ do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

So according to Romans which is a book written to people after Christ's death, the gift of prophecy is given by the Holy Spirit... And is still in use after Christ's death... But I think many fail to judge "human prophecy's" against God's word... And that is why we are loosing the weight of the word...

Like people say 2012 was prophecied about... Its like really? Come on people a prophecy will be undeniable to those who judge it against the word of God...

May 15, 2013
prom·ise (pr
m
s)
n.1.a. A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow.
b. Something promised.

2. Indication of something favorable to come; expectation: a promise of spring in the air.
3. Indication of future excellence or success: a player of great promise.

v. prom·ised, prom·is·ing, prom·is·es
v.tr.1. To commit oneself by a promise to do or give; pledge: left but promised to return.
2. To afford a basis for expecting: thunderclouds that promise rain.

v.intr.1. To make a declaration assuring that something will or will not be done.
2. To afford a basis for expectation: an enterprise that promises well.

Matthew 6:10your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

God is assuring us that whatever He speak is the truth, and which the devil is trying to make a liar out of Him.

Genesis 3:4
“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.

Psalm 15:3
whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others;

Psalm 35:15
But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee; assailants gathered against me without my knowledge. They slandered me without ceasing.

Proverbs 10:18
Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool.

John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

G

GreenNnice

I think we misuse the word prophecy now a days... We use the word as something that might happen and a prediction about a dark future...

Jesus was prophesied about... It doesn't mean God was considering about letting His son die on the cross... He promised it...

I think that is where the world prophecy looses its weight... Is because a prophecy is a promise from God, and men claim many things, and one of the best things to claim is being so trusted by God that He has allowed you to tell the world His word, His promise...

I think prophecy is a promise for sure, but a promise is not a prophecy, : A truck is a vehicle but a vehicle is not always a truck...

I also think that many who claim prophecy's are not in fact prophecies but a way to gain something for themselves, whether it be power, a following, wealth, love, or just a man who wants to watch the world burn...

I also think that phophicies are still in affect I read I believe Romans 11 or 12 and in it it explained that men still do prophecy about certain things I will try to dig for that scripture now, but my 5 minutes to edit is almost up :p
As long as we are human, we humans will err, it's a given, LOL, many like to think that when someone prophesies it's the holy grail. Not necessarily. THAT is where the Holy Spirit comes in, He teaches us all Truth. It's not complicated, as ATT says, it's just how we make sense of Scripture, how we make sense of this life, by listening to Him reveal to us His Truth.
Yes, Romans 12 is good passage, trexlaurich, for a young guy, you're a rather erudite fella, bro. Well said ! :)
------------------

Ahhhhh, enlightenedbyHim, i was hoping you would enlighten us all with the same kind of defining of 'prophecy' in your last post. If you dont' do it, I promise I will soon :D

Jul 27, 2011
isn't prophesy like a warning? have you ever had to tell some one told ya so, was that prophesy when you tried warning that person? Since people that know me know my back ground, when the Holy Spirit tries warning a person they say i'm putting a curse on them, or some bad mojo. That is not the case at all, if we see a person that is doing something that may harm them, and don't say any thing, then when some thing happens we would feel guilty for not warning. i believe God still uses people to warn others today.

G

GreenNnice

isn't prophesy like a warning? have you ever had to tell some one told ya so, was that prophesy when you tried warning that person? Since people that know me know my back ground, when the Holy Spirit tries warning a person they say i'm putting a curse on them, or some bad mojo. That is not the case at all, if we see a person that is doing something that may harm them, and don't say any thing, then when some thing happens we would feel guilty for not warning. i believe God still uses people to warn others today.
Yes, and, understand that they are being 'prophetic,' as God wills, and, don't think you're some special alien or something that God communes with about a gift of telling someone things to come, just think that God is at work and boasting about ANYTHING but Christ and Christ alone, and NOT the gifts He's given you--if you even know--is the WRONG thing to do.

And, same goes for apostles, an apostle is very loosely based word, it means 'sent by God,' and, so, just like you telling someone something that then comes true, an apostle is just simply sent somewhere from God, like a missionary=apostle.
That simple :)