Prophets? Nazarene?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Shwagga

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.”

Hi, what prophets said Messiah would be called a Nazarene?

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.”

Plain and simple it doesnt, but he is from Nazareth... a Nazarene.. I think people confuse this with Nazarite????

Matthew is probably using word play.. particulalry refering to Isaiah 11:1 as Nazareth means 'branch'. this would mean that Matthew had in mind all the prophecy concerning the ''''Branch Of David'''

In Love

Phil

S

Shwagga

Plain and simple it doesnt, but he is from Nazareth... a Nazarene.. I think people confuse this with Nazarite????

Matthew is probably using word play.. particulalry refering to Isaiah 11:1 as Nazareth means 'branch'. this would mean that Matthew had in mind all the prophecy concerning the ''''Branch Of David'''

In Love

Phil
Okay, I think you gave two definitions which are probably the most common, still looking for more specific verses out there, which I am sure it's there or Matthew wouldn't have said it.

Oct 1, 2009
He will be called a "Netzer" is the original translation. In other words, a root, a branch of the stem of Jesse.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Okay, I think you gave two definitions which are probably the most common, still looking for more specific verses out there, which I am sure it's there or Matthew wouldn't have said it.

If you are looking for specific verses, I have already told you, there is none. its the whole teaching of (all the prophets) and the play of words that Matthews uses and his mainly Jewish readers would have known what was being talked about.

From 2 Samuel 7:13-14 onwards, this was looked forward too by the nation of Israel.

When Matthew says 'Nazerine' he means a)one who is from Nazereth and b) A branch,David. To this, the all round Prophecy of the prophets testified. and Matthew is saying it is Jesus of Nazereth.

Phil

Oct 1, 2009
You're going to have to dig a little deeper, our translations do a very poor job there. It's a favorite trick anyone in Israel likes to use when someone speaks about Christ because they point to that verse and say nowhere in the Torah does it say he's going to be a Nazarene.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Its a pity they don't look and see what it means and what it meant to Matthews mainly Jewish readers.

Phil

May 21, 2009
Matthew 2:22-23 (New International Version)

22But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, 23and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."

S

Shwagga

If you are looking for specific verses, I have already told you, there is none. its the whole teaching of (all the prophets) and the play of words that Matthews uses and his mainly Jewish readers would have known what was being talked about.

From 2 Samuel 7:13-14 onwards, this was looked forward too by the nation of Israel.

When Matthew says 'Nazerine' he means a)one who is from Nazereth and b) A branch,David. To this, the all round Prophecy of the prophets testified. and Matthew is saying it is Jesus of Nazereth.

Phil
Well that is a bit ironic because all of the Jewish people I talk to bring up this verse and ask me where the prophets said this, which is actually why I posted this thread :p..

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Well that is a bit ironic because all of the Jewish people I talk to bring up this verse and ask me where the prophets said this, which is actually why I posted this thread :p..

Just point them to Isaiah 53. Why do they get hung up on one silly verse when they have such a weight of evidence for Christ in the scripture?

Matthew 23:24
Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Quest

Jan 8, 2009
It raises a good point though, if we can't prove this point to a Jew with their own scriptures what hope do we have of converting them?

They would have to take the word of a Christian. If these Jews are being noble like the Bereans and searching scripture to see if these things are so... should we have an issue with it?

If someone came to you from another religion claiming a fact but couldn't prove it to you, would you automatically believe them?

S

Shwagga

It raises a good point though, if we can't prove this point to a Jew with their own scriptures what hope do we have of converting them?

They would have to take the word of a Christian. If these Jews are being noble like the Bereans and searching scripture to see if these things are so... should we have an issue with it?

If someone came to you from another religion claiming a fact but couldn't prove it to you, would you automatically believe them?
Exactly, good points. I need to learn the messianic prophecies and show how Jesus fulfilled them. The Jewish people would much rather side with Jewish Rabbi's than a "Gentile religion" as they call Christianity.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
As I said it is all of the overall Prophecy of the Messiah, if you r Jewish friends ask again ask them why their ancesters did not believe the Messiah was born in Bethlehem.

Anyhow, as I have answered above, It is a word play, Nazerene. It is like me calling someone from Glasgow a Glaswegian! yet the nazerene has an underlining meaning '''Branch"", As Pete said in his post 'Netzer'.

And tell your Jewish friends that Matthew was inteneded for a Jewish audience and in all time for everyone, another hint for this is the use of 'Kingdom of Heaven' and no explanation of Hebrew/Aramaic terms as Luke.

Anyhow, that is the answer, and if you don't believe or your friends well thats up to you... you will not find in the prophets saying he will be a nazerine. but they all allude to it.

When Matthew wrote this he probably had 'Isaiah 11:1-2' in mind along with Samuel etc.

in love

Phil

May 21, 2009
We can't prove anything. Its the Holy Spirit that talks to us. The whole point is believing in what you don't see.

G

glenno

Hi dear brother
I have read a few explanations of this reference in Matthew, some claiming it is referring to oral tradition rather than what is written (hence why he writes 'spoken by the prophets'), others see an allusion to the branch etc. spoken of by Isaiah etc. They also refer to the prophecies which speak of the Messiah being despised and rejected, and use views of Christ's contemporaries as evidence that he was being alluded to (like when he was asked, what good thing can come from Nazareth?) I would like to add another dimension to this argument. If we look at Nazareth as purely a geographical location, we see it is situated just south west of the sea of Galilee, in the Old Testament district of Zebulun. Now, if you search the scriptures for references to Zebulun, you find also prophecies by Isaiah (ch.9) and Deborah the prophetess. In Isaiah, Zebulun and Galilee are mentioned with reference to a light coming out of the darkness, and Deborah prophesied that scribes would come from Zebulun, though if you read it in Hebre wrthe law or commander. Other translations say that Zebulun will bear the commanders staff (this may be found in Judges 5:14). Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but I suggest this adds weight to the argument and is just as feasible

Sep 8, 2012
Isaiah 11:1.
It means branch, or stem.
So the messiah was from the lineage of David. (He was from the root of...)
So this means the messiah wasn't some extraterrestrial.
Some whole God beamed down to save His people like some extra human divinity.
Jesus was all man.
Thus, he shall be called a branch. (From the root of David)
That Jesus had a human mother is recorded. That He had God as His Father is recorded also.
All man.
All God.