Proverbs 31 Man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kayem77

I have to admit, Proverbs 31 makes me feel unqualified most of the times. It's a picture of a woman who knows how to work hard, wakes up before dawn, who knows how to do business, and is good to her husband ''all the days of his life''. She is wise, she is strong, she is compassionate, she is loving and she is praised by her family.

When I compare that picture with my picture ,my capabilities, at least the ones that I know, I fall short of the standard. I know I shouldn't feel that way, I know that we as women should strive to be everything that proverb says but know that we're gonna fail in some way at some point. I'm not saying that it's not a good passage, I do appreciate it, but I always find a failure within myself when I read it haha. I wonder if men feel that way with Ephesians 5.

J

Jullianna

I understand, Karla :)

For me, she is a role model. The older woman we are to learn from. I see so much of her in many godly women I know. None of us gets it right all of the time, but day by day He is conforming us into the image that pleases Him.

I think that's what a lot of women (and men) wrestle with. We want what we want, so we wrestle with what He wants for us, never realizing that His ways are always higher and for our good. I've done it. Still do. But the more I surrender to Him, the more richest of life and peace I find.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
@ Kayem77

There are so many myths and misgivings surrounding the Pro 31 woman. Instead of it being used to edify women, it's often taught in a way that prompts drudgery, pressure and condemnation. The Pr 31 woman is a composite of several virtuous women listed throughout the Bible and not so much the checklist that people try to make it.

Pr 31:10
Everyone in her community knew that Ruth was a virtuous woman (Ru 3:11).
These women were called blessed:
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” (Pr 31:29)
Most blessed among women is Jael, the wife of Heber the Kenite. May she be blessed above all women who live in tents. (Ju 5:24)
Mary - Thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. (Lu 1:28)

These women spoke wisdom and faithful instruction. (Pr 31:26).
Unnamed wise woman of Abel's wise instruction saved her city. (2 Sa 20:19-22)
Esther was woman of strength and dignity who feared God. Her wisdom helped saved the Jews from annihilation. (Book of Es)
Pilate's wife spoke with wisdom and faithful instruction. (Mt 27:19)
Others in her community had "full confidence" in the prophet Huldah's ability to authenticate a very important book for the king. (2 Ki 22:14-20).
Rahab "watched over the affairs of her household." She wisely and faithfully "instructed" the spies about how to hide and escape. She negotiated a plan that would save her life and the lives of those in her household. (He 11:31)
Priscilla worked with her hands too. She was a tent maker. She assisted her husband in giving Apollos wise and faithful instruction. (Ac 18:26)
Prophetess Anna's lamp didn't go out at night because she worshiped God day and night by fasting and praying. She wasn't idle, and wisdom and faithful instruction were on her tongue. (Lu 2:36-38)
Judge & Prophet Deborah wisely instructed the people of Israel. (Ju chapter 4 & 5)

She has been like a merchant's ship that brings its merchandise from far away. (Pr 31:14)
The Queen of Sheba literally brought Solomon gifts of gold, large quantities of spices, and precious stones from away. (1 Ki 10:6-10). Also like Pro 31 woman, Queen of Sheba'a earned a reward, and her quest for wisdom brought her praise. Queen of Sheba is one of the few women Jesus celebrates from the OT. She came from afar to hear the wisdom of a mere man. She was amazed at what she saw and heard. However, when Jesus who was greater than Solomon came, many despised, rejected, slighted and slandered Him. (Mt 12:42)

Watched over affairs of household (Pr 31:27)
Zipporah knew what she needed to do to save her husband's life. She brought him goodness and not harm. (Ex 4:14-20)
Moses' mom hid him. Moses may or may not have called her blessed, but Paul felt she was blessed and listed her in the Hebrew Hall of faith. (He 11:23).
Deacon Phoebe helped watch over the affairs of the household of faith. (Ro 16:1-2)

Brings goodness rather than harm. (Pr 31:12)
Midwives did what was "good" for newborns and refused to harm them like the king commanded. (Ex 1:15-21)

Helps poor (Pr 31:20)
Dorcas helped the poor. (Ac 9:36)

Doesn't let her lamp go out... (Pr 31:18)
Wise virgin didn't allow her lamp to go out. She was prepared when Bridegroom came. (Ma 25:1-12)

Like the Pr 31 woman, Lydia was a woman of noble character. The name "Lydia" means noble.
The Pr 31 woman wore purple, and Lydia sold it. Pro 31 woman was a merchant and so was Lydia. (Ac 16:14, 40)

None of these women were superwoman, but each was super and virtuous in her own way. Instead of looking at all the ways we might not measure up to the Pro 31 woman, may we consider the traits that we have in common with her like the Bible women mentioned above.