Proverbs 31

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
What? Soooo how would proverbs 31 be for men??
Many of the core characteristics and duties listed in Pr 31 are mutual, collective and congregational. In other words, many of the characteristics and duties listed in Pr 31 are for men too – not just women.

Mutual Traits/Duties Listed in Pr 31:

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies (v.10).
The word translated as noble, virtuous, excellent, capable, diligent, strong, valiant and worthy (depending on the Bible translation) means CHAYIL in Hebrew. CHAYIL (Strong’s 2428) means strength, the strength of a warrior. The word CHAYIL is also used to describe mighty men of valor in the Bible: Josh 1:14, 6:2; Judg 6:12. Therefore, the Hebrew word (CHAYIL) translated noble, virtuous, etc. in Pr 31:10 is not a distinctly feminine description. Men can be noble and virtuous (CHAYIL) too.

Do Good
She will do him good … (v.12). As believers, men and women are admonished to “do good” to our enemies (Lu 6:27, 35). Christian men and women are admonished to “do good” and to share with others (He 13:16).

Do No Harm
She brings him good, not harm … (v.12). Husbands are instructed to love their wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Eph 5:25). Romans 13:10 tells us that “love does no harm.” Therefore, if a husband loves his wife, he will not harm her.

Work With Your Hands
She … works with eager hands (v.13). Christian men and women are called to live a quiet lives, mind our business and “work with our hands” … (1 Th 4:11).

Don’t Be Idle
She … does not eat the bread of idleness (v.27). Paul proclaimed the value of hard work and sternly warned men and women not to be idle (2 Th 3:6-12). “And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone” (1 Th 5:14).

Speak With Wisdom
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue (v.26). “The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just” (Ps 37:30).

Care for the Poor

She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy (v.20). Christian men and women are admonished to care for the poor and needy (Ma 25:34-40).

Fear the Lord
… a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (v. 30). “Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!” (Ps 112:1)

Many of the core traits and duties listed in Pr 31 are mutual, collective and congregational rather than distinctly feminine: being virtuous and noble (CHAYIL), doing spouses good and not harm, working with one's hands, not being idle, speaking wisdom, caring for the poor and fearing the Lord.

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels (v. 10). ‬Excellent, noble, virtuous wives are hard to find and so are faithful, trustworthy men.

Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?(Pr 20:6)

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
What? Soooo how would proverbs 31 be for men??
Her husband is known in the gates, When he sits among the elders of the land. Pr 31:23

The husband described in Pr 31: 23 is a man like Job. Job was known in the gates and sat among the elders of the land (Jo 29:7). Job was respected and well know at the city gate BECAUSE of his own actions and efforts.

How did Job behave at the city gate?
He assisted the poor and orphans. He helped those without hope. Everything he did was honest. He served as eyes for the blind and feet for the lame. He was a father to the poor. He broke the jaws of godless oppressors. People listened to his advice (Job 29). Thanks to Job we know what it means for a man and husband to be respected and well known at the gates because Job lived that out and demonstrated it for us.

Unfortunately, Job's wife was not a virtuous woman, yet that had no bearing on Job's actions at the city gate. Job's being respected and well know at the gates was not contingent upon his wife's behavior or performance. Job was respected and well know at the gates because of how he behaved and performed at the gates.

Job 29:7 tells us that Job was respected and well known BECAUSE HE "rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them." In other words, Job earned respect at the gates through his own actions and efforts. Job's being respected and well know at the gates was not dependent or contingent upon anything that his wife did or didn't do. Job was a blameless, upright and God fearing man (Job 1:1).

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Her husband is known in the gates, When he sits among the elders of the land. Pr 31:23

The husband described in Pr 31: 23 is a man like Job. Job was known in the gates and sat among the elders of the land (Jo 29:7). Job was respected and well know at the city gate BECAUSE of his own actions and efforts.

How did Job behave at the city gate?
He assisted the poor and orphans. He helped those without hope. Everything he did was honest. He served as eyes for the blind and feet for the lame. He was a father to the poor. He broke the jaws of godless oppressors. People listened to his advice (Job 29). Thanks to Job we know what it means for a man and husband to be respected and well known at the gates because Job lived that out and demonstrated it for us.

Unfortunately, Job's wife was not a virtuous woman, yet that had no bearing on Job's actions at the city gate. Job's being respected and well know at the gates was not contingent upon his wife's behavior or performance. Job was respected and well know at the gates because of how he behaved and performed at the gates.

Job 29:7 tells us that Job was respected and well known BECAUSE HE "rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them." In other words, Job earned respect at the gates through his own actions and efforts. Job's being respected and well know at the gates was not dependent or contingent upon anything that his wife did or didn't do. Job was a blameless, upright and God fearing man (Job 1:1).
What does Job have to do with this? I get that he would sit at the gates but I'm still confused....

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Many of the core characteristics and duties listed in Pr 31 are mutual, collective and congregational. In other words, many of the characteristics and duties listed in Pr 31 are for men too – not just women.

Mutual Traits/Duties Listed in Pr 31:

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies (v.10).
The word translated as noble, virtuous, excellent, capable, diligent, strong, valiant and worthy (depending on the Bible translation) means CHAYIL in Hebrew. CHAYIL (Strong’s 2428) means strength, the strength of a warrior. The word CHAYIL is also used to describe mighty men of valor in the Bible: Josh 1:14, 6:2; Judg 6:12. Therefore, the Hebrew word (CHAYIL) translated noble, virtuous, etc. in Pr 31:10 is not a distinctly feminine description. Men can be noble and virtuous (CHAYIL) too.

Do Good
She will do him good … (v.12). As believers, men and women are admonished to “do good” to our enemies (Lu 6:27, 35). Christian men and women are admonished to “do good” and to share with others (He 13:16).

Do No Harm
She brings him good, not harm … (v.12). Husbands are instructed to love their wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Eph 5:25). Romans 13:10 tells us that “love does no harm.” Therefore, if a husband loves his wife, he will not harm her.

Work With Your Hands
She … works with eager hands (v.13). Christian men and women are called to live a quiet lives, mind our business and “work with our hands” … (1 Th 4:11).

Don’t Be Idle
She … does not eat the bread of idleness (v.27). Paul proclaimed the value of hard work and sternly warned men and women not to be idle (2 Th 3:6-12). “And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone” (1 Th 5:14).

Speak With Wisdom
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue (v.26). “The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just” (Ps 37:30).

Care for the Poor

She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy (v.20). Christian men and women are admonished to care for the poor and needy (Ma 25:34-40).

Fear the Lord
… a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (v. 30). “Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!” (Ps 112:1)

Many of the core traits and duties listed in Pr 31 are mutual, collective and congregational rather than distinctly feminine: being virtuous and noble (CHAYIL), doing spouses good and not harm, working with one's hands, not being idle, speaking wisdom, caring for the poor and fearing the Lord.

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels (v. 10). ‬Excellent, noble, virtuous wives are hard to find and so are faithful, trustworthy men.

Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?(Pr 20:6)
Yeah I can see that...sorta...I dunno I guess because so much of the Bible is geared towards men it's nice to have a little section that's just for women ya know? I can see how this is for men but the hard thing is that when you read the Bible and you read certain verses *cough Ephesians cough* sometimes it just makes it seem like men can have a deeper relationship with God because they get to be the leaders and also because so much of the Bible is centered around men.

Think about this for a minute:

"Men are the ones who are the leaders."

"Men submit to God and women submit to their husbands."

"A woman is not allowed to teach."

I look at those and it's like "well why can't women have that?" Then I look at proverbs 31 and it's like "Oh well maybe women can have some control over their own lives. Maybe God does value women."

I think about the bond a pastor must have to have with God to be a good pastor or the kind of spiritual connection a husband has to have with God in order to be a good leader. Women? Women don't lead so there's no need for such a deep connection (there is a need for a deep connection in the sense of what's good spiritually but beyond that...) and I wonder if God withholds some of his intimacy from women because we aren't the leaders.

Reading Proverbs 31 really helped cuz it gives women dignity and stuff. It shows that women can have authority. I think about Lydia and how she took on a role of leadership in her community and that's awesome! I think about Esther and how she (sorta) took control and saved her people. So what I don't understand is why people think that women are...less...

Btw what I'm doing is I'm trying to get everything straight in my head. So if this post is all over the place that's why. Please be patient. There's a lot of "muck, guck, and yuck" still in my heart and in my head and I'm trying to clean that out.

C

CRC

(Proverbs 12:4) A capable wife is a crown to her husband, But the wife who acts shamefully is like rottenness in his bones.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah I can see that...sorta...I dunno I guess because so much of the Bible is geared towards men it's nice to have a little section that's just for women ya know? I can see how this is for men but the hard thing is that when you read the Bible and you read certain verses *cough Ephesians cough* sometimes it just makes it seem like men can have a deeper relationship with God because they get to be the leaders and also because so much of the Bible is centered around men.

Think about this for a minute:

"Men are the ones who are the leaders."

"Men submit to God and women submit to their husbands."

"A woman is not allowed to teach."

I look at those and it's like "well why can't women have that?" Then I look at proverbs 31 and it's like "Oh well maybe women can have some control over their own lives. Maybe God does value women."

I think about the bond a pastor must have to have with God to be a good pastor or the kind of spiritual connection a husband has to have with God in order to be a good leader. Women? Women don't lead so there's no need for such a deep connection (there is a need for a deep connection in the sense of what's good spiritually but beyond that...) and I wonder if God withholds some of his intimacy from women because we aren't the leaders.

Reading Proverbs 31 really helped cuz it gives women dignity and stuff. It shows that women can have authority. I think about Lydia and how she took on a role of leadership in her community and that's awesome! I think about Esther and how she (sorta) took control and saved her people. So what I don't understand is why people think that women are...less...

Btw what I'm doing is I'm trying to get everything straight in my head. So if this post is all over the place that's why. Please be patient. There's a lot of "muck, guck, and yuck" still in my heart and in my head and I'm trying to clean that out.

Pr 31:1
The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
KJV

There is NO scriptural record of an actual king named Lemuel.

The name means 'belonging to God' Some people of good scholarship have tried to symbolically connect the name with Solomon; but I don't see how this works.

As shown by the Scripture below, the name may well apply to every NT believer.

Rv 1:5-8
5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
KJV

1 Co 4:5-8
5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.
7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?
8 Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you
KJV

Pr 31:10
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
KJV

Verse 10 clearly indicates that verses 10-31 are God's criteria for helping a man find a virtuous wife;

OR

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A POTENTIAL WIFE!

Some of the same qualities are indeed virtuous in a man; but that is not the intent of this passage.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
What does Job have to do with this? I get that he would sit at the gates but I'm still confused....
I hope this article helps further elaborate. This article and author actually inspired me to further investigate and study the connection between the Pr 31 husband (v.23) and Job 29. This young man's article really blessed me. I hope it does the same for you. markmuldez: Date a guy who aims to be a Job 29...

job29.jpg job29.jpg job29.jpg job29.jpg