Psalm 119 - Love for God's Law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Jesus did not separate himself and what he spoke and taught from the scriptures we have as the Bible. And he never spoke about any of the law that is from God in the Bible coming to any end, as long as heaven and earth last. I do not know how real repentant believers who have Jesus as their Lord would think the commandments from God are even not for them. It is certain truth that Paul is being misunderstood by a good number of those reading the epistles from him. I believe what I read from his epistles, but those who say Paul states something that would have us go contrary to what we see Jesus said I must disagree with, and say they are among the ones who misunderstand what Paul wrote. The law from God is good, in Christ we are not condemned for any failing, but God's grace through Christ's atonement for us at great cost should have our repentance bringing us to greater obedience, none of that does away with commandments. The Psalms do uphold faithfulness to God's commandments.

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jesus did not separate himself and what he spoke and taught from the scriptures we have as the Bible. And he never spoke about any of the law that is from God in the Bible coming to any end, as long as heaven and earth last. I do not know how real repentant believers who have Jesus as their Lord would think the commandments from God are even not for them. It is certain truth that Paul is being misunderstood by a good number of those reading the epistles from him. I believe what I read from his epistles, but those who say Paul states something that would have us go contrary to what we see Jesus said I must disagree with, and say they are among the ones who misunderstand what Paul wrote. The law from God is good, in Christ we are not condemned for any failing, but God's grace through Christ's atonement for us at great cost should have our repentance bringing us to greater obedience, none of that does away with commandments. The Psalms do uphold faithfulness to God's commandments.
Thank you for your thoughts on this subject, Frank, and there's a lively discussion related to your observations at the forum listed below.

The gospel of ….. - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

I think a lot of the confusion and debate centers around which "laws" from the Old Covenant are still applicable for us today under the New Covenant. We certainly are not required to make animal sacrifices anymore (Christ is our Passover Lamb), and the Holy Days (e.g. Passover & Feast of Tabernacles) are not obligatory either because they foreshadowed New Testament events.

When I look at the 10 commandments, those are still valid and in effect today from my point of view. They are not only spiritual laws, many of them like "you shall not murder" are civil laws as well. The first four commandments center around love towards God, and the last six focus on our love towards our fellow man. The only variation I see is the Sabbath--Jesus is our sabbath rest as Christians, so we do not need to observe the "Sabbath" from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Those Christians who still feel a need for this is fine with me.

The key from my point of view is obeying Christ and the "law" or better yet "Word" from His teachings. The Old Testament needs to be put in the proper perspective from the New Testament.

Dec 24, 2023
I am intrigued at the moment to consider what is the spirit of the Sabbath, God's character and will displayed in it, which finds its fulfillment in Jesus and us. My starting ideas is that there are a range of things, such as delight, trust, equality, quietness, liberation. I would welcome the Spirit's wisdom to understand more, please don't hold back.

I am also loving the deep swim in Psalm 119 and do not want to discourage the OP from going on and on with that. In fact I'm wondering if that's the very intention of the psalm - to feel we're swimming (in this love for God's word) and can't see either shore - why else make it so long?

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I am intrigued at the moment to consider what is the spirit of the Sabbath, God's character and will displayed in it, which finds its fulfillment in Jesus and us. My starting ideas is that there are a range of things, such as delight, trust, equality, quietness, liberation. I would welcome the Spirit's wisdom to understand more, please don't hold back.

I am also loving the deep swim in Psalm 119 and do not want to discourage the OP from going on and on with that. In fact I'm wondering if that's the very intention of the psalm - to feel we're swimming (in this love for God's word) and can't see either shore - why else make it so long?
Yes, Psalm 119 is completely beautiful and a wonderful part of God's inspiring Word. I have more work to do on this psalm but am in no rush. I want to drink it in and allow for meditation and reflection in the weeks and perhaps months ahead.

I observed the Sabbath as a Christian for several years back in my 20's (a long time ago...:)). It was a time to put aside worldly concerns like my normal tasks and work and spend some in-depth time studying the Bible, meditating, praying, fasting occasionally, and attending worship services with some great fired-up like-minded Christians.

Today, I look at the Sabbath as an everyday occurrence basking in the rest my Lord and Savior provides in His grace and love.

Dec 24, 2023
Yes, Psalm 119 is completely beautiful and a wonderful part of God's inspiring Word. I have more work to do on this psalm but am in no rush. I want to drink it in and allow for meditation and reflection in the weeks and perhaps months ahead.

I observed the Sabbath as a Christian for several years back in my 20's (a long time ago...:)). It was a time to put aside worldly concerns like my normal tasks and work and spend some in-depth time studying the Bible, meditating, praying, fasting occasionally, and attending worship services with some great fired-up like-minded Christians.

Today, I look at the Sabbath as an everyday occurrence basking in the rest my Lord and Savior provides in His grace and love.
This took me to Matthew 11.28, a well-known verse. Looking at it in context I found that immediately after that prayer is one of the stories of Jesus and the Sabbath. Have you ever meditated on this in Matthew 11-12? I would be glad to hear what you have to say, dear.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Thank you for your thoughts on this subject, Frank, and there's a lively discussion related to your observations at the forum listed below.

The gospel of ….. - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

I think a lot of the confusion and debate centers around which "laws" from the Old Covenant are still applicable for us today under the New Covenant. We certainly are not required to make animal sacrifices anymore (Christ is our Passover Lamb), and the Holy Days (e.g. Passover & Feast of Tabernacles) are not obligatory either because they foreshadowed New Testament events.

When I look at the 10 commandments, those are still valid and in effect today from my point of view. They are not only spiritual laws, many of them like "you shall not murder" are civil laws as well. The first four commandments center around love towards God, and the last six focus on our love towards our fellow man. The only variation I see is the Sabbath--Jesus is our sabbath rest as Christians, so we do not need to observe the "Sabbath" from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Those Christians who still feel a need for this is fine with me.

The key from my point of view is obeying Christ and the "law" or better yet "Word" from His teachings. The Old Testament needs to be put in the proper perspective from the New Testament.
Christ us everything for the sacrificial system for us, the sacrifices, the priesthood, and the ways to be made clean to be acceptable before God, these things in the old covenant were types for what Christ makes available. Animals do not need to still be killed for us, believers understood this at the beginning. Commandments still are not types but show how we are obedient to God, if we would be. Obeying Christ includes this. It is meaningful to know Christ is Lord. Sabbath is not bad to observe, the way to observe it actually needs us to include Christ in it with us, with actual rest in Christ, that others missed. Christ is needed for this.

This is not me telling others what to do about it. I see good in doing this still.