Psalms in Relation to God and Man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 6, 2015
What does the book of Psalms say about man in relation to God?

Introduction​
The book of Psalms is a book of praise and extoling to God. It also says much about the identity of man and of God. It speaks clearly and paints wonderful imagery of both God and man as they naturally are. This essay will show three things that the Psalmist says about God in relation to man, and a result, how such things affect the way that God is to be seen and treated by man. Namely these, that God is holy, that man is sinful, and that God is a sovereign king over the universe.

God is Holy​
The Psalms teach us that God is holy in two distinct ways. In comparison to man God is upright in all his ways, he is morally pure and blameless in all that he does, and our worship to him therefore is the only appropriate response to his moral integrity (Ps 18:30: 77:13; 98:1). God is also holy in regard to his transcendent and majestic glory that rises above his creatures. (Ps 99:5, 9). Both God’s moral and transcendent holiness reveal that man in comparison to God is but a creature, a creature that is certainly not as upright nor as grand as his creator.
Man is sinful​
The Psalms also teach us that man is sinful. Man is sinful from the very beginning of his life (Ps 51:5), is thoroughly corrupt (Ps 38:3; 51:2), and is reliant only upon the mercy of God for cleansing (Ps 41:4; 51:9; 103:10). In the Psalms, man is unable to cease from his sin and is therefore in constant need of forgiveness. Such teaches us that man is stuck in a problematic situation, for he needs something he cannot possibly obtain himself, a pure conscience before God.

Our God is Sovereign​
Finally, the Psalms teach that God is a glorious king. He is mighty over his creation in battle as no one can resist his force (Ps 24:8; 46:6), glorious in his kingly reign from heaven (Ps 47:2, 6; 72:11; 95:3; 145:13) and one day from the earth as a gracious king (Ps 98:9). The Psalms reveal a God that no army can hide from or resist. He is to be feared and respected as the sovereign ruler of the universe to which all man is held accountable and to which all men will be judged by for their deeds.
In conclusion it is the testimony of the Psalms that God is both holy and sovereign in relation to man who is but a sinful creature who owes worship and obedience to his creator. The relevance of such ideas are just as fresh today as they were centuries ago when they were penned. There is indeed relevance in such today and therefore it must forever be taught in our churches in obedience to the scripture that man is still sinful and God is still holy, that man is still a creature and that God is still a transcendent king.

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Psalms is my favorite book in the bible because David and I seem to have a similar heart towards God and out of all the people in the bible David is who I seem to be most like. Here is what I see when I read psalms and how God is to David and how David is to God. First and foremost To David he is the king of kings he is the Lord of Lords he is his divine shield he is his teacher he is his rock of salvation his peace in the chaos and he never hesitates to praise God at every opportunity.

The relationship he shared with God is one that is not like a lot of old testament people, he was nether bound by law or did he have a distant relationship with God. In fact he loved God's law and he was so comfortable with God he spoke the deepest depths of his heart even in frustration. David sinned he did horrific things and yet he came to God and without fearing of being struck by lightning from his wrath he spilled the beans to God knowing that in doing so he can be forgiven and raised from his low sinful statues. God was pleased with David with all of this, David sought after a deep relationship with God he was a seeker of God's heart he deeply desires a close and personal love and bond with God and because of this God considered him a holy and righteous man and his grace was deep with his son David.

David out of all the people in the bible shined the heart of a true believer to me and shined what a true relationship with God is, notice how reliable God was to David notice how often he praised God not simply because he is God and worthy of praise but from his heart because he knew who God was and he adored him for it

Dec 6, 2015
Psalms is my favorite book in the bible because David and I seem to have a similar heart towards God and out of all the people in the bible David is who I seem to be most like. Here is what I see when I read psalms and how God is to David and how David is to God. First and foremost To David he is the king of kings he is the Lord of Lords he is his divine shield he is his teacher he is his rock of salvation his peace in the chaos and he never hesitates to praise God at every opportunity.

The relationship he shared with God is one that is not like a lot of old testament people, he was nether bound by law or did he have a distant relationship with God. In fact he loved God's law and he was so comfortable with God he spoke the deepest depths of his heart even in frustration. David sinned he did horrific things and yet he came to God and without fearing of being struck by lightning from his wrath he spilled the beans to God knowing that in doing so he can be forgiven and raised from his low sinful statues. God was pleased with David with all of this, David sought after a deep relationship with God he was a seeker of God's heart he deeply desires a close and personal love and bond with God and because of this God considered him a holy and righteous man and his grace was deep with his son David.

David out of all the people in the bible shined the heart of a true believer to me and shined what a true relationship with God is, notice how reliable God was to David notice how often he praised God not simply because he is God and worthy of praise but from his heart because he knew who God was and he adored him for it

Nice. Thanks for the input.