Purgatory?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SantoSubito

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndPWE4oNhbc[/video]
I went into that with high hopes and he started out well since he actually explained where in the Book of Maccabees Purgatory is drawn from, but then he just dismisses it with a dead pan "it's not part of the Bible..so....yeah"

Which if he's trying to convince Protestants is fine but if he's trying to convince Catholics he just lost it right there, since Maccabees is in our Bible.

Then he basically goes on to list off the other common Protestant objections for purgatory. Including the verse in Hebrews which has no bearing on Purgatory at all.

H

hislastwalk

For someone who's studied religion how did you not know that the man who started the reformation was Martin Luther who of course founded Lutheranism? Anyways the doctrine of purgatory has been around in some form since the beginning, the EO have a similar idea as well. Indulgences in the dark ages could be granted for alms giving (giving to the poor), but in the Renaissance this was abused and some would simply sell the indulgences.
because I couldn't remember his name.lol
and purgatory was started by the catholic church.
Jesus' disciples never talked of it, nor did Jesus.

S

SantoSubito

because I couldn't remember his name.lol
and purgatory was started by the catholic church.
Jesus' disciples never talked of it, nor did Jesus.
Then explain how the EO have a similar belief when they split from us in 1054 and purgatory wasn't officially defined until the Council of Florence in 1431? Or explain how the Oriental Orthodox have a similar belief when they split from the Catholic Church in 451?

Purgatory has been handed down in Sacred Tradition which is the teaching of the apostles.

M

Maddog

Then explain how the EO have a similar belief when they split from us in 1054 and purgatory wasn't officially defined until the Council of Florence in 1431? Or explain how the Oriental Orthodox have a similar belief when they split from the Catholic Church in 451?

Purgatory has been handed down in Sacred Tradition which is the teaching of the apostles.
Psst! Don't confuse him - the Proddies don't even know the Orthodox exist. And the Orthodox thank God every day for that, because it means you Papists get all the flak!

S

SantoSubito

Psst! Don't confuse him - the Proddies don't even know the Orthodox exist. And the Orthodox thank God every day for that, because it means you Papists get all the flak!
True, sad but true. Me and an Evangelical friend of mine went out with a few other people to eat, and at some point we got to talking about religion. At which point another one of my friends mentioned she was Orthodox, the lone Evangelical among us then said with a very confused look on his face "Orthodox? Is that just another name for Catholic?"

Also, am I safe in saying that you consider yourself Anglo-Catholic instead of Protestant?

H

hislastwalk

True, sad but true. Me and an Evangelical friend of mine went out with a few other people to eat, and at some point we got to talking about religion. At which point another one of my friends mentioned she was Orthodox, the lone Evangelical among us then said with a very confused look on his face "Orthodox? Is that just another name for Catholic?"

Also, am I safe in saying that you consider yourself Anglo-Catholic instead of Protestant?
I never said your going to Hell though, there will be Catholics, and baptist, and Pentecostals in Heaven.But Jesus nor his disciples never talked about purgatory. Jesus' blood was enough, he's the only man who can pay for your sins.

A

asd101

no, there's no purgatory... lol... there earth, heaven and hell, and God is above it all!!! :DD!!...