question about the tribes of Israel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
As to Revelations 7:5-8, those verses have nothing to do with the listing of the 12 Tribes of Israel. Those verses are quite clear, and was referring to whom was going to be sealed in the last days. The Tribe of Dan is not listed because there are NONE in the tribe of Dan that will be sealed with the 144,000. How do we know this? Because they are not listed as one of the Tribes that will be sealed. Now as to the WHY they are not sealed, i know not, and will try to remember to ask God, if and when He chooses to speak with me again.

^i^ responding to OP
I understand that Dan was not listed because the tirbe of Dan was not to be sealed.. But my question was why?
I can't seem to find any verses in the bible explaining why. So that was why I asked those two questions.

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
Okay so I think I may have some understanding now..
I wanna post a little of what I found and get some input. Please keep in mind I'm not the best when it comes to biblical understanding. So if I've miss understood anything please let me know, just don't be to harsh with me. Lol

Anyway.. What I've found..

Okay, Genesis 49 explains that Dan is like a serpent, (Genesis 49:16-17 Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.)
Judges 17:10 and 18:20 speaks about how they set up their own priest just for their tribe and the LEVITES were supposed to be the priest tribe. There were no other tribe that had priests. (Right?)
1st Kings 12:30 tells about how Dan became center of pagan worship (?) for the ten tribes in the north.
Number 2:31 mentions the they shall sit out last by their own standards. ( I understood that as meaning they were on their own.)
Then there is Judges 1:16-1:20..
So pretty much..
Genesis laid the foundation warning that Dan was like a snake... so then later on scripture explains how the tribe cut its self off almost from the beginning.
They were worshipping false idols even while they were the judges. And They rejected their inheritance and God?
I'm guessing because of all this, this is why they weren't listed to be one of the sealed?

At least that's what I've come to understand.. :/

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Hey everyone!
I have two questions that I need help with and I'm hoping y'all can help.

Okay so I've been doing a study on the tribes of Israel for about a month.. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever really looked into the tribes of Israel. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing or understanding most of the tribes. So far during my study I have realized that there are really 13 tribes of Israel. My whole life I was only taught about the 12 tribes that are listed in the book of Revelations. It was kind of a shock to me when I realized that there are 13 tribes of Israel. Some of you may think I should have already known that and perhaps you're right but I'm a slow learner so give me time. Lol

Anyway..

During my study I found where the 13 tribes of Israel are listed.

The 13 tribes are listed in Numbers 1 starting in verse 20. They are,

Reuben
Simeon
Gad
Judah
Issachar
Zebulun
Ephraim
Manasseh
Benjamin
Dan
Asher
Naphtali

and then Levi (verse 47)

Now when I went and read Revelations 7:5-8 I realize that only 12 were listed. And I realized they left out the tribe of Dan.

Revelation 7:5-8 (KJV)

5*Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.

6*Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nephthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.

7*Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.

8*Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.

So my questions are..

*Is there any biblical explanation why the tribe of Dan was excluded from this list?

And if there isn't any biblical proof.. does anybody have any insight as to why the tribe of Dan was excluded from Revelations?
There were 12 tribes until Genesis 48:13 When Jacob (Israel) adopted Ephraim and Manasseh, the two sons of Joseph.

Dan is not mentioned in Revelation 7:5-8 because during the years before the Northern Kingdom was taken captive by Assyria, Dan had intermarried with idolatrous nations to the extent that his lineage could not be traced.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
There were 12 tribes until Genesis 48:13 When Jacob (Israel) adopted Ephraim and Manasseh, the two sons of Joseph.

Dan is not mentioned in Revelation 7:5-8 because during the years before the Northern Kingdom was taken captive by Assyria, Dan had intermarried with idolatrous nations to the extent that his lineage could not be traced.
That information regarding the tribe of Dan not being traceable makes no sense and that because John is not the author of the book of Revelation, God is. And God surely knows who belongs to what tribe even though Israel may not.

O

oldthennew

in the Book of HOS.4:17, Ephraim is joined to 'idols', and they have certainly had their share of
inter-marriage as some of the other Tribes.

it is possible that through marriage, that the 'gentile' could become an Israelite - God will judge...

all through the scripture God says, 'as He has scattered Israel, that is, all 12Tribes, so also
He will gather, and not only this, He says that 'not one grain' shall fall to the ground'...

usually in scripture when the Tribes are listed, they are listed in a particular order, such as BIRTH -
but in REV., Judah is rightly named first, because he was the chief Tribe with the scepter promise,
and then Reuben is second, which is according to the birth-right promises, but he 'dis-qualified'
for that right...

so, the question would be, 'is Reuben forgiven and re-instated the BirthRight? but then,
Joseph would have to 'forfeit that Right...so, if their is a specific purposeful order,
we confess, we have YET been able to find it.....BUT, we do know that our Father is no respecter of persons -

in another place, it says that the Great-Day-OF-The-Lord hastens...we do believe that the 're-gathering'
will be taking place in great tumult, according to all of the prophesies of troubles and tribulations...

much of Judah already occupies much of the Promise Land, they are right there to be put in their proper place..
in our OPINION, the ORDER is according to the Great Gathering and geographical location -

JER.3:16-17-18.
And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD,
they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind:
neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.

At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it,
to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more
after the imagination of their evil heart.

In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together
out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.

E

eternally-gratefull

If you don't know why the tribe of Dan was excluded you disqualify yourself from speaking on the matter. It is quite cdlear to normal people that God would not exclude a whole tribe for no obvious reason. It is thus quite clear that the list in Rev 7 cannot be taken literally. Indeed those who are sealed by GOD are ALL Christians, the whole of the true Israerl.
Thats the issue with prophesy.

1. Until it happens, all we can do is guess what will happen.
2. To say we know exactly how and why something will happen is to make ourself God
3. If it was all christian in all the world. he would have said so. God said it was 12000 from particular group of people. take him at his word. He is God and uses prophesy to prove wh he is. to symbolise ANY prophesy is to make prophesy of no effect, and make ANY possible interpretation valid. Which is how world prophets like Nostradamus work. Is that your god?
4. Yes, God used symbolic visions, but they explained literal events. IE beasts of Daniel and revelation represented world leaders, and gentile national kingdoms. But the literal still came true.

E

eternally-gratefull

I understand that Dan was not listed because the tirbe of Dan was not to be sealed.. But my question was why?
I can't seem to find any verses in the bible explaining why. So that was why I asked those two questions.
I think this is a great study, But we also need to understand God may not let us know why.. does not mean we can not look though, at least your trying.

E

eternally-gratefull

Okay so I think I may have some understanding now..
I wanna post a little of what I found and get some input. Please keep in mind I'm not the best when it comes to biblical understanding. So if I've miss understood anything please let me know, just don't be to harsh with me. Lol

Anyway.. What I've found..

Okay, Genesis 49 explains that Dan is like a serpent, (Genesis 49:16-17 Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.)
Judges 17:10 and 18:20 speaks about how they set up their own priest just for their tribe and the LEVITES were supposed to be the priest tribe. There were no other tribe that had priests. (Right?)
1st Kings 12:30 tells about how Dan became center of pagan worship (?) for the ten tribes in the north.
Number 2:31 mentions the they shall sit out last by their own standards. ( I understood that as meaning they were on their own.)
Then there is Judges 1:16-1:20..
So pretty much..
Genesis laid the foundation warning that Dan was like a snake... so then later on scripture explains how the tribe cut its self off almost from the beginning.
They were worshipping false idols even while they were the judges. And They rejected their inheritance and God?
I'm guessing because of all this, this is why they weren't listed to be one of the sealed?

At least that's what I've come to understand.. :/
It is a nice theory, And makes a lot of sense,

Of course we still have Ezekial calling them as part of the millennial time period. which would mean they are still a tribe after the lord returns which is after the Revelation account.

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
It is a nice theory, And makes a lot of sense,

Of course we still have Ezekial calling them as part of the millennial time period. which would mean they are still a tribe after the lord returns which is after the Revelation account.
I had honestly forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder :)

E

eternally-gratefull

I had honestly forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder :)
your welcome.

It could be as simple as God decided not to use them to help missionary the world at this time for whatever reason we may not know until it happens..

God usually does not just do things, he does them for a reason, The reason he seals these 144000 is not given, Many believe it is to seal them as missionaries, to go re-spread the gospel after the church is removed, or has fallen away (which ever believe system you use)

it could be just that Some from the tribe of Dan Got saved, so they enter the millennial kingdom when Christ returns, But he did not use them in this capacity for whatever reason.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Originally Posted by DiscipleDave

First off there are only Twelve Tribes of Israel. Ephraim and Manasseh both belonged to the Tribe of Joseph. They both received of the inheritance that which was to belong to Joseph. In other words Ephraim and Manasseh SPLIT the inheritance that belonged to Joseph. Now granted, both of them (Ephraim and Manasseh) was referred to as individual tribes.

As to Revelations 7:5-8, those verses have nothing to do with the listing of the 12 Tribes of Israel. Those verses are quite clear, and was referring to whom was going to be sealed in the last days. The Tribe of Dan is not listed because there are NONE in the tribe of Dan that will be sealed with the 144,000. How do we know this? Because they are not listed as one of the Tribes that will be sealed. Now as to the WHY they are not sealed, i know not, and will try to remember to ask God, if and when He chooses to speak with me again.

^i^ responding to OP

If you don't know why the tribe of Dan was excluded you disqualify yourself from speaking on the matter. It is quite cdlear to normal people that God would not exclude a whole tribe for no obvious reason. It is thus quite clear that the list in Rev 7 cannot be taken literally. Indeed those who are sealed by GOD are ALL Christians, the whole of the true Israerl.
Since you seem to think you are the expert on the tribe of Dan, then please show me ANY Scriptures that is contrary to what i have said above. if you can't show ANY Scriptures which proves that what i said is in error, then what i said can be just as correct as another person's.

And i have a question for you. Are you a hypocrite?

i only ask that because you said
If you don't know why the tribe of Dan was excluded you disqualify yourself from speaking on the matter.
You say that i should not speak on the matter because i do not know something. Are you saying you do not speak on any matter at all if you do not know something concerning that matter? Are you a Hypocrite? Telling me i should not speak on the matter, when you speak on other matters that you do not know as well?

Tell me, Consider the statement
If you don't know why the tribe of Dan was excluded you disqualify yourself from speaking on the matter.
Is this LOVE?

^i^ responding to post #20

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Originally Posted by DiscipleDave

^i^ responding to OP
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, if you seek the answer to that particular question, go to God in prayer, seek the Holy Spirit guidance, and be patient. If you ask, believing, you shall receive.

^i^ responding to post # 21

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Peter sank like a stone when he was walking on water to Jesus. Why? because he looked away from Jesus Christ. Keep your eyes and thoughts on Jesus Christ, all other things will only take your thoughts off of the narrow and difficult path that leads to everlasting life.

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
I think this is a great study, But we also need to understand God may not let us know why.. does not mean we can not look though, at least your trying.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. I know God doesn't always tell us things and He has His reason. But I had to look and try anyway.. :)

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, if you seek the answer to that particular question, go to God in prayer, seek the Holy Spirit guidance, and be patient. If you ask, believing, you shall receive.

^i^ responding to post # 21
I did. :)
He pointed me to alot of amazing brothers and sisters to help me get a good idea of why he wasn't mentioned. But He also showed me a lot of things about the tribes that I never noticed before. So a double win for me :)