Question About Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

shotgunner

I wrote
You are incorrect. Paul clearly speaks of tongues which no man understands but he is speaking mysteries to God. Paul says he will sing in the Spirit and in his understanding also. Cleary indicating that singing in the Spirit is not singing in his understanding. Just read the scriptures without any church doctrine glasses.

You know you're making this up right?

Read out of the scriptures what is there do not read into the scriptures what you want them to say.

What did Israel sing? We have the Psalms as evidence of what they sang at least in part.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Are we reading the same Bible or perhaps you missed that part.

1 Corinthians 14:2King James Version (KJV)
[SUP]2 [/SUP]For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15King James Version (KJV)
[SUP]14 [/SUP]For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
[SUP]15 [/SUP]What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
You know why I pick on you Rog? 'Cause you make yourself such an easy target... you don't even TRY to understand.

Here's a good one... how Roger interprets scripture:

Why, them must be cows!
Just follow Jesus.

Jehovah will separate the goats from the sheep. He know which is which.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

E

ember

I have been given the gift of tongues.
It is not what most of you are describing.

It is a ministry to the lost, not a personal worship experience.

Many of you are describing "the groanings of the Spirit".
The groanings of the Spirit are not a positive thing!!!

You have foolishly programmed yourself to feel conviction as if it is elation.

ok, well read on there fellah....tongues is a SIGN to the unbeliever and Corinthians deals with how it should be used in a congregation or fellowship...wherever

I truly doubt that you have a clue about what 'many' of us are doing

and by the way? maybe you should also read about what Jesus says regarding the use of the word fools, from which we get foolish, and saying that to other believers

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I wrote
You are incorrect. Paul clearly speaks of tongues which no man understands but he is speaking mysteries to God. Paul says he will sing in the Spirit and in his understanding also. Cleary indicating that singing in the Spirit is not singing in his understanding. Just read the scriptures without any church doctrine glasses.

1 Corinthians 14:2King James Version (KJV)[SUP]2 [/SUP]For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

[SUP]14 [/SUP]For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
[SUP]15 [/SUP]What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Just your preconceived interpretation of the passages. Paul is touting the superiority of understanding over doing anything without understanding. Paul is not encouraging anyone to pray or sing without understanding.

Pray with the leading of the Holy Spirit and pray with understanding. It is the height of lunacy to pray without knowledge. It's like having the cure for cancer but not the knowledge to apply it to the sick.

Praying and singing without knowledge is self delusion. Same goes for speaking in a tongue you cannot understand. If you ever do it and I get to interpret I'll tell them you said "I eat turnips and pass gas just like the pope".

For the cause of Christ
Roger

E

ember

Thanks but I will stick with what God says.

We dare not limit God in His working to what our narrow understanding permits. While I am glad that you said you have personally ministered in a prophetic tongue with interpretation, I am somewhat hesitant to believe it when you start by calling us foolish and then go on to call other tongues as described by Paul false tongues and even gibberish.

Do you have an online Bible? If so, put "unknown tongues" in the search and study what scriptures it yields. Then maybe come back and we can discuss where you misunderstood.

ok...scatting...sounds like something a cat does in a litterbox

I will stick with what God says also...bragging about yourself and then downing others and uplifting one gift over another is really not Christian...

the hilarious thing is that tongues is listed as one of the least or the least of the gifts

notuptome

May 17, 2013
ok, well read on there fellah....tongues is a SIGN to the unbeliever and Corinthians deals with how it should be used in a congregation or fellowship...wherever

I truly doubt that you have a clue about what 'many' of us are doing

and by the way? maybe you should also read about what Jesus says regarding the use of the word fools, from which we get foolish, and saying that to other believers
Sure is it's a sign to unsaved Jews.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

E

ember

Sure is it's a sign to unsaved Jews.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

well it must be working because I know saved Jewish folk who speak in tongues

you are just hysterical at this point...are all the other threads taken?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Just follow Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Oh, but I do. ALL the way, not just picking and choosing.

And yes He does and He will.

Tell me, what's a tin can taste like Rog?

S

shotgunner

I wrote

1 Corinthians 14:2King James Version (KJV)[SUP]2 [/SUP]For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Just your preconceived interpretation of the passages. Paul is touting the superiority of understanding over doing anything without understanding. Paul is not encouraging anyone to pray or sing without understanding.

Pray with the leading of the Holy Spirit and pray with understanding. It is the height of lunacy to pray without knowledge. It's like having the cure for cancer but not the knowledge to apply it to the sick.

Praying and singing without knowledge is self delusion. Same goes for speaking in a tongue you cannot understand. If you ever do it and I get to interpret I'll tell them you said "I eat turnips and pass gas just like the pope".

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Well, you have fulfilled the scripture. "By your tradition you make the Word of God to no effect."
I won't continue to try to bring light to someone who refuses it.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Well, you have fulfilled the scripture. "By your tradition you make the Word of God to no effect."
I won't continue to try to bring light to someone who refuses it.
Yeah, that's why these days I'm less bringing light and more shining it upon this little piece of darkness.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Ok Roger, God is telling me maybe I'm being a little too hard on you. So let me back up a little bit and answer seriously for a minute. But I hope that comes with you being willing to read and consider seriously as well.

Hopefully you will be encouraged to seek out that it means.

That I would not place much credibility in your personal experiences should be obvious especially when it contradicts scripture.

God is able to use the gospel preached out of contention as well as the gospel taught out of knowledge and love.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
What you propose Roger is that, as I'm praying in the Spirit, as I receive a bit of revelation and knowledge I would otherwise never have, as this revelation and knowledge has a profound effect upon the person and situation I was praying about -

That's all just coincidence Roger? Or the workings of my human mind? Or even a demonic influence? Why would demons give me something that's going to draw another human being towards God? That doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense that my mind would just construct this image that just happened to be right. Are you proposing that God honored my prayers even tho I was just blabbering gibberish? How would He know what my prayers were if they were just scat as another person put it. And why would He give me such knowledge and revelation if He stopped doing that sort of thing almost 2 millennia ago? If what you say is right, I just took a shot in the dark and happened to luck upon a fantasy that for no reason at all rang in the soul of another person and glorified God.

Well, I have always said that I'd rather be lucky than good...

But no, these are too many and scripted of happenings to just be dumb luck. Especially when these events can be and are regularly repeated. Isn't that the scientific method, to be able to repeat an experiment and get the same result? There has to be more to it than just blind dumb luck.

And that's the whole point Rog. You say these church circus acts are the works of fools and I'm with you there. But these private, personal acts that bring glory to God in the edification of ourselves and others are not just blind dumb luck. They are a planned and operational gift of God to enable us to intercede in things we know absolutely nothing about. God wants intercessors, but if we limit our intercession to only the things we are familiar with we're only going to be operational in a very small circle. It's better that we be open and willing to let God enable us to intercede in the things He's familiar with.

I sought God in prayer in a manner He instructed us to, and He honored that with a word of knowledge that brought another human being closer to Him. And if you honestly see something in that that is unscriptural, well, we're gonna have to go back to the blind man jokes ;)

G

Galahad

Only partially.

1 Cor 14

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

That takes care of the tongue gift that is given for use in the assembly, i.e. the church.

BUT

Paul is clearly speaking in tongues much more than just in the church setting, while in the church as he sayshe prefers to speak with understanding as above, for the benefit of the hearers.

Verse 4: He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves (edifying yourself) on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

So to keep ourselves in the love of God and built up in our most holy faith also when NOT in the church we pray in the Spirit, i.e.tongues, privately.

This is the other tongue gift that many of us have been discussing here. One is for public declaration with an interpreter; the other is for private edification.

Edification is building ourselves up in the Spirit. It is not puffing ourselves up. The Holy Spirit is God so that would be impossible.
Oh. I didn't try to answer all the responses. My focus was on the thread's leading question.

Jul 1, 2015
Just follow Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Jesus was speaking in the sheep and goats scripture, and the "Son of man" refers to Him. Your next comment then (Jehovah will separate the goats from the sheep. He know which is which.) is significant.

Are you a Jehovah's Witness Roger? It would explain a few things like how you keep arguing against the scriptures. Before you posted this I was thinking, what bible is he reading? How can he miss what is in front of him?

It would also explain a few things like why you don't seem to have a testimony of the working of the Spirit.

And how you are co confident in error, seemingly totally reassured that you have the "truth".

Jehovah's witnesses say they are "in the truth". I know because I have a sister who is one. A source of much worry.

Am I on the right track?