Question for Dispensationalists: Is Ancient Israel Is a Type of the Church, the Individual Believer, and Jesus ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I have a question for dispensationalists.

Is Ancient Israel a type of the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus himself?

If so, why do you have an issue with fulfillment theology (which you slanderously call replacement theology)?

I have described on other threads how the believer is united with Jesus Christ through faith. The concept of union with Christ is super important, because, in reality, salvation is being united with Christ. The believer enjoys both legal and vital aspects of this union. Legally, he is accounted righteous because Jesus' righteousness becomes his righteousness. Vitally, he is joined with Jesus, who possesses eternal life, and therefore shares in his eternal life. He also shares in the holiness of Jesus, because Jesus' life permeates him and transforms him into the image of Christ over time.

Additionally, he is accounted a spiritual descendant of Abraham through Jesus. Jesus is a physical descendant of Abraham, therefore by being joined to Jesus, he is accounted as Abraham's physical offspring. Therefore, he receives the benefits of any promises made to Abraham. See Romans 4, Galatians 3.

And, part of these promises is inheriting the entire world, not just Israel. Again, see Romans 4.

My contention is that all the promises made to Abraham are fulfilled in Christ, and that it is irrelevant whether one is a physical descendant of Abraham. My understanding depends on union with Christ, a doctrine which is sorely neglected in the Church.

As an aside, that's why I use the phrase "separation theology" with regards to dispensationalists. They are creating barriers between Jews and Gentiles that I don't believe exist anymore, as they are one man in Jesus (Ephesians 2).

Anyways, here is what I'm wondering. I've never really been a dispensationalist, although some dispensational beliefs influenced the groups I was involved with as a younger person. So, I am not really sure what dispensationalists believe on this issue. My guess is that it will be a hodgepodge as I've found that it is very hard to identify what "dispensationalism" teaches because there are so many differences of opinions. It is like nailing jello to the wall.

Here's the question: do dispensationalists in general understand the typological relationship between ancient Israel and the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus Christ himself?

The Church
Israel initially was to be a kingdom of priests. The Church is a kingdom of priests.

Individual Believers
Israel was led out of Egypt and bondage to Pharaoh in a similar way that believers are led out of the kingdom of darkness and bondage to Satan.
Israel was called God's son. Christians are called God's sons.

Jesus
Israel fled to Egypt during the famine. Jesus and his family fled to Egypt to escape Herod.
Israel was tempted in the wilderness by Satan. Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness.

The comparisons could go on and on, and you can research these by doing google searches or reading a book that focuses on this topic. But my basic question is this: do dispensationalists understand that ancient Israel is typological of the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus?

If so, why is it such a big leap of logic to understand that the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus are fulfillments of the type of ancient Israel?

If so, why do you have issues with the Church (or Christ) being the fulfillment of the type of ancient Israel?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that dispensationalists in general don't recognize the typology of the Old Testament and how it pointed forward to Jesus and the Church. It could be due to their dispensationalist hermeneutic, which discourages understanding shadows and types of the Old Testament, instead claiming that others are allegorizing.

They would likely criticize Jesus on the road to Emmaus, when he scolded the disciples for not understanding that the entire Old Testament pointed to him.

Luke 23: 13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem, 14 and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation that you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a man who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things happened. 22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning, 23 and when they did not find his body, they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see.” 25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Anyways, I'm just looking for feedback from dispensationalists.

Do dispensationalists acknowledge that ancient Israel was a type of Jesus, the Church, and individual believers?

Do dispensationalists understand how union with Christ fits into this picture?

In order to understand the related shadows and types, you might read Edmund Clowney's book The Unfolding Mystery. It connects the Old Testament to the New Testament. That's right..I'm not like Andy Stanley (I believe he is a dispensationalist but not sure) who wants to disconnect the OT from the NT.

https://smile.amazon.com/Unfolding-...dmund+clowney&qid=1568465699&s=gateway&sr=8-1

By the way, if you need Scriptural references to prove any point I'm making above, let me know. I didn't refer to a lot of Scriptures because I think it can be distracting, and I am also assuming a certain level of knowledge amongst the participants of the conversation. I expect most of them have read the Bible as much as I have and know the allusions I'm making.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The original Israel is a shadow of the Israel of God……......That is sthe fidrst time I have used the word, shadow…………..

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
i have no problem with anything that you said about types. i have noticed these types myself too. many parallells. its amazing

Jan 12, 2019

Is Ancient Israel a type of the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus himself?

If so, why do you have an issue with fulfillment theology (which you slanderously call replacement theology)?

I have described on other threads how the believer is united with Jesus Christ through faith. The concept of union with Christ is super important, because, in reality, salvation is being united with Christ. The believer enjoys both legal and vital aspects of this union. Legally, he is accounted righteous because Jesus' righteousness becomes his righteousness. Vitally, he is joined with Jesus, who possesses eternal life, and therefore shares in his eternal life. He also shares in the holiness of Jesus, because Jesus' life permeates him and transforms him into the image of Christ over time.

Additionally, he is accounted a spiritual descendant of Abraham through Jesus. Jesus is a physical descendant of Abraham, therefore by being joined to Jesus, he is accounted as Abraham's physical offspring. Therefore, he receives the benefits of any promises made to Abraham. See Romans 4, Galatians 3.

And, part of these promises is inheriting the entire world, not just Israel. Again, see Romans 4.

My contention is that all the promises made to Abraham are fulfilled in Christ, and that it is irrelevant whether one is a physical descendant of Abraham. My understanding depends on union with Christ, a doctrine which is sorely neglected in the Church.

As an aside, that's why I use the phrase "separation theology" with regards to dispensationalists. They are creating barriers between Jews and Gentiles that I don't believe exist anymore, as they are one man in Jesus (Ephesians 2).

Anyways, here is what I'm wondering. I've never really been a dispensationalist, although some dispensational beliefs influenced the groups I was involved with as a younger person. So, I am not really sure what dispensationalists believe on this issue. My guess is that it will be a hodgepodge as I've found that it is very hard to identify what "dispensationalism" teaches because there are so many differences of opinions. It is like nailing jello to the wall.

Here's the question: do dispensationalists in general understand the typological relationship between ancient Israel and the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus Christ himself?

The Church
Israel initially was to be a kingdom of priests. The Church is a kingdom of priests.

Individual Believers
Israel was led out of Egypt and bondage to Pharaoh in a similar way that believers are led out of the kingdom of darkness and bondage to Satan.

Jesus
Israel fled to Egypt during the famine. Jesus and his family fled to Egypt to escape Herod.
Israel was tempted in the wilderness by Satan. Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness.

The comparisons could go on and on, and you can research these by doing google searches or reading a book that focuses on this topic. But my basic question is this: do dispensationalists understand that ancient Israel is typological of the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus?

If so, why is it such a big leap of logic to understand that the Church, the individual believer, and Jesus are fulfillments of the type of ancient Israel?

If so, why do you have issues with the Church (or Christ) being the fulfillment of the type of ancient Israel?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that dispensationalists in general don't recognize the typology of the Old Testament and how it pointed forward to Jesus and the Church. It could be due to their dispensationalist hermeneutic, which discourages understanding shadows and types of the Old Testament, instead claiming that others are allegorizing.

They would likely criticize Jesus on the road to Emmaus, when he scolded the disciples for not understanding that the entire Old Testament pointed to him.

Luke 23: 13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem, 14 and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation that you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a man who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things happened. 22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning, 23 and when they did not find his body, they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see.” 25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Do dispensationalists acknowledge that ancient Israel was a type of Jesus, the Church, and individual believers?

In order to understand the related shadows and types, you might read Edmund Clowney's book The Unfolding Mystery. It connects the Old Testament to the New Testament. That's right..I'm not like Andy Stanley (I believe he is a dispensationalist but not sure) who wants to disconnect the OT from the NT.

https://smile.amazon.com/Unfolding-...dmund+clowney&qid=1568465699&s=gateway&sr=8-1

By the way, if you need Scriptural references to prove any point I'm making above, let me know. I didn't refer to a lot of Scriptures because I think it can be distracting, and I am also assuming a certain level of knowledge amongst the participants of the conversation. I expect most of them have read the Bible as much as I have and know the allusions I'm making.
Originally, the Gentiles were to be reached only after all the Jews acknowledge Jesus as their promised Messiah. The Jews, as you have stated, was to be a kingdom of priests, who will spread the gospel to them.

But because the Jews made that final rejection by stoning Stephen, God decided in his Grace to save the Gentiles independent of what the Jews do.

The story of Joseph in Genesis illustrated this well. Because the Jewish brothers rejected Joseph, an example of Jesus, all the Egyptians benefited from having bread during the famine, compared to the Jews. Joseph even had an Egyptian wife, which represents the Gentile Church. We are therefore spared from wrath, the Tribulation.

But Joseph will reveal himself to his brothers in their second coming, so likewise, after the Tribulation, Jesus shall come back for the Jews, and they will all accept him. Romans 9 to 11 have all the details.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

The Church

Individual Believers

Jesus

Have you considered that God changed Jacob's name to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel? All Israel is not of Israel. Jesus instructed his Apostles to go and preach to the lost SHEEP (God's elect) of the house of Israel. Why would Jesus tell them to preach to those that are already eternally saved?

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
i have no problem with anything that you said about types. i have noticed these types myself too. many parallells. its amazing
Me too.

I don't personally know any dispensationalists who do this (the following quote from your post), when it comes to "types" etc (though some acknowledge more of them than others):

That's right..I'm not like Andy Stanley (I believe he is a dispensationalist but not sure) who wants to disconnect the OT from the NT.
Example: I received a book from one of my pastors years ago, called "Victorious Christian Living: Studies in the Book of Joshua" by Alan Redpath... (and if I recall) the author shows many kinds of types and applications to "the Church which is His body" ['in this present age [singular]' (US)], while maintaining the ultimate [most direct] application being when Israel (futurely) will enter their promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom.

I've heard that Andy Stanley has kind of stepped away, or distanced himself from [well, for lack of a better way of saying it] "good/sound teaching"... so I'm not sure he'd be the best example, if you're wanting to convince someone of something :D (is he the one that's getting caught up with "dominion theology/reconstructionism/theonomy/kingdom-now/etc" kind of thing?? I forget... Something like that, I thought I'd heard...)

I'm always pointing out the connection between "the Day of the Lord" ARRIVING "as a thief IN THE NIGHT" (the "DARK/DARKNESS" tribulation period) with Daniel 7:7's "IN THE NIGHT" (re: vision of "the beast") and Genesis 46:2's "And God spake unto Israel IN the visions OF THE NIGHT, and said, 'Jacob, Jacob.' And he said, 'Here am I.' " So yeah... a great many types, parallels and connections... etc.

I disagree that a dispensationalist is one who "wants to disconnect the OT from the NT."

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Unfolding Mystery. It connects the Old Testament to the New Testament.

On page 58 so far, wanted to pop over and say thank you. A great book thus far.

Someone recently told me that If I believe the passages are to be taken literally, that say in some way God is going to return the nation of Isreal back to Himself than I am a dispensationalist. I am not yet convinced. I do not see division between the "jew and gentile" but unity through Christ. We stand with Isreal, all now His chosen. All glory and praise to our King, our Lord and Saviour, Christ Jesus.

I do not have a clear handle on the labels we give one another so I am limited in adding to this discussion. As you can see, I am not where you and many are as of yet, if ever (in other words, I am not as savy). I just wanted to express that I am finding this book edifying.

Thank you and God Bless. 🙏😀

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that dispensationalists in general don't recognize the typology of the Old Testament and how it pointed forward to Jesus and the Church.
Looks like you can't let go of this matter. I would call it an obsession.

1. "Perhaps I am wrong" is right on the money.

2. Dispensationalists were probably the leading proponents of Typology in the OT.

3. Israel was always Israel, and even though they were meant to be a Royal Priesthood, they forfeited that privilege because of unbelief.

4. The Church is a NEW ENTITY as revealed by Paul. It was a mystery -- a hidden truth in the OT -- now revealed in the NT. And the Church consists of Jews AND Gentiles in one Body (something which even Peter found it hard to accept).

5. The Church came into existence on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was poured out and poured down from Heaven to become a gift to every believer.

6. The promises with the Abrahamic Covenant include BOTH the Church and Israel. To try and blend the two is to violate Scripture. So here is the future of Israel as revealed by Paul after the Church has been completed and raptured.

ROMANS 11
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. [INTO THE CHURCH]

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: [ISRAEL A SEPARATE ENTITY] as it is written, There shall come out of Sion [JERUSALEM] the Deliverer [CHRIST], and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: [AFTER HIS SECOND COMING, "JACOB" (ISRAEL) SHALL BE SAVED]

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. [A REFERENCE TO THE ABRAHAMIC COVENANT]

28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes [WHILE THE CHURCH IS BEING FORMED]: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. [BELOVED BECAUSE OF THE PROMISES TO THE PATRIARCHS ("FATHERS") ABRAHAM, ISAAC, AND JACOB]

29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. [APPLICABLE TO THE UNCHANGING ABRAHAMIC COVENANT]

30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: [THE UNBELIEF OF JEWS LED TO THE CONVERSION OF GENTILES]

31 Even so have these [JEWS] also now not believed, that through your [GENTILES HAVING RECEIVED] mercy they also may obtain mercy. [IN THE FUTURE]

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.[UNBELIEVING JEWS]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
EDIT to my post: I just noticed something I should clarify from my post...

Where I was first quoting Melach and responding to what he'd said (agreeing with him), I then went on to speak of the OP but accidentally forgot to shift that clearly, so it looks like I'm still speaking to Melach (which I wasn't) when I said:

I don't personally know any dispensationalists who do this (the following quote from your post), when it comes to "types" etc (though some acknowledge more of them than others):
...I meant, from the OP's post, of course (not Melach's).

Just wanting to clarify here. :D