QUestion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crimeny

Does anyone do the 'right things' for the wrong reasons? I remember reading this somewhere that God weighs the heart, but in any case, like the one example i got right now is that I wanna study math and i really do because it seems pretty cool, but after thinking about it i began to realize that maybe it was not because i was actually interested in it but because generally when you study stuff like that you get called smart by people and i was really after the pride and vanity and attention, not so much the math, and i also figured that if i can't use it for Jesus then its pretty pointless.

Other things that kind of turn it off is that its worldly wisdom and generally i dunno about you but when i learn stuff like that i usually get puffed up and i kind get pride and sort of boastful about what i learned, like 'HEY i know this and blah blah blah' so generally its not very good.

SO how is your day been?

Last edited:
L

Livi94

Does anyone do the 'right things' for the wrong reasons? I remember reading this somewhere that God weighs the heart, but in any case, like the one example i got right now is that I wanna study math and i really do because it seems pretty cool, but after thinking about it i began to realize that maybe it was not because i was actually interested in it but because generally when you study stuff like that you get called smart by people and i was really after the pride and vanity and attention, not so much the math, and i also figured that if i can't use it for Jesus then its pretty pointless.

Other things that kind of turn it off is that its worldly wisdom and generally i dunno about you but when i learn stuff like that i usually get puffed up and i kind get pride and sort of boastful about what i learned, like 'HEY i know this and blah blah blah' so generally its not very good.

SO how is your day been?
I fine nothing wrong in taking a little pride in whatever you do because most people who enjoy their work do and God wants His children to be happy in whatever they do. He wants us to put joy into EVERYTHING in our lives (which can be difficult at times.) It becomes wrong when you think you are better than others because of it and that can be driven by pride.

My day as well as my weekend has been a blessed and glorious one, thanks for asking ^_^ And yourself?

U

Ugly

You know, the bible doesn't call us all to be paid evangelists. If your work is not geared towards Jesus that doesn't mean its not worth doing. When it comes to the jobs we choose, its not so much if its spiritual enough that matters, but how we approach the work. Do we have a good attitude, do we work hard, do we find reasons to complain, cut corners etc .. God is simply honoring Him through your work is important. And to honor Him means Whatever job you have, whether its math based, cleaning toilets, a CEO or a pastor, all he wants is you to work 'for Him'.

Its good you're aware of possible wrong motivations, but don't decide anything yet. Work on those issues that you feel are wrong, and see if this is still where you want to head. Its still possible its the right direction for you, just have to guard yourself.

A

AnotherJesusPerson

Ask yourself this... "Does God want me doing this?"
If you don't know that answer I suggest you pray long and hard about it.
Sometimes you think its what God wants because you want it so much. I'm not saying its not what He wants. I'm just saying that you need to ask him. And make sure it agrees with the bible. If you're worried about it too much it could be a conviction. In which case you definitaly don't want to do it.

C

Crimeny

thanks for the advice guys, its funny because anotherjesusperson i had that problem except it was regarding something else and it was actually really bad and i didn't know it, so yeah.

and to liv94 i have had a funny week but i figured out my folly/sin which was very good!

someone who actually helped me on this was a chaplain, who told me to get over myself because i didn't accept compliments too well, and i figured out along with a lot of wisdom and guidance from the Lord that was just me being kind of prideful and self righteous and it was a terrible mess and it almost got me killed, but hopefully my heart can become less hard now

L

Livi94

very good ^_^ God Bless! <3