Raising kids: the dating question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

What are your thoughts on allowing your kids to date?

How old should they be?

what do you say to them?

Chaperon or not?

I don't even know where to begin. lucky my kids are young so I have a few years to pray about it, but any advice would be wonderful. thanks.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
my kids are 6 and 7, I think 25 is a good age, lol. Seriously I'm thinking 16 or 17? This is a tough one.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
um
be responsible, im not fixing any mistakes you make
and no

M

MissCris

NEVAH!!!

Really, I think group dates will be fine around the age of 15, with a strict (and early) curfew. I wish my own mom had been more firm about me dating- if I hadn't been allowed to date until I was 17, a lot of stuff could have been avoided.

I think I'll probably try to drill into their teenage brains how important it is that they realize the purpose of dating.

...and I'll let their dad handle all the embarrassing talks that need to take place before either kid sets foot anywhere NEAR the dating scene...

I wish I were kidding about that last part.

A

Ariel82

My husband said I'd have to give the kids the "talk" since I didn't start dating until 16 and he was my third boyfriend.

Except I have no clue how to go about it. I didn't really see the point in dating.

it was better to hang out and be friends before you got serious because you learn things about the other person that tells you that you are incompatible and it saves heartache later.

'sides I'd rather have a man smart enough to save his money instead of wasting it on a bunch of "dates" that may or may not last, most likely not because most people don't stay with their high school sweethearts.

save it for college or a car or a down payment on a house.

The best things in life are FREE. God's LOVE is Free. God's forgiveness and Grace are Free. Air is free.

looking at the midnight sky is free. swimming in the ocean is free. building sandcastles is free. walking in the forest is free.

F

Fighting4Him

What are your thoughts on allowing your kids to date?

How old should they be?

what do you say to them?

Chaperon or not?

I don't even know where to begin. lucky my kids are young so I have a few years to pray about it, but any advice would be wonderful. thanks.
You can have the opinion from someone who is at the "dating age."

Age wise? They need to have maturity to make the right choices. They need to be firmly grounded in faith and family.

Chaperon? Yes! Even if your child is trustworthy, things happen. Sometimes you can't control things. Especially if you are romantically involved.

Personally:
My family and I are doing courtship. I highly recommend it. Dating is just a preparation for divorce. I mean, think about it. You go out with someone, get attached, decide you don't like them, and break up. Sounds a lot like divorce, right? You marry someone, decide you don't like them, and divorce. Courtship is when you believe that you'll get married, but you have to make sure that your personalities and beliefs line up. There is no kissing, hugging, or becoming physically. It is purely communication. You get to know the person before courtship by becoming friends. When you are friends, your personality isn't hidden. When you're dating, you want to look the best you can. For a man to court me, he must go through my father first.

I know this is a jumble, but I've got to hurry and finish lunch. If you want to know more about my view on courtship, private message me.

F

FAITHFULGILLIAN

My parents don't want any dating until my I complete the exams which will decide if I make it to our local University. After that, it will have to be with a Christian boy of whom they approve, not over-frequently and with tight curfews in place.