Rambling words of a confused mind

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014
Before I get to the issue, I just want to mention that I am new here. I tend to wring long articles, but I will try to keep this short.

I was born to God-fearing parents who were zealous about the faith. They wanted to bring me up in the ways of God. Things did not go according to their plan and my childhood went awry. My parents used to fight almost daily. They were completely opposite to each other that they could just never get along. I still remember how I used to beg my parents to stop fighting. Growing up in such an atmosphere was not going to be easy, but on top of this I had to deal with a lot of abuse and bullying (at school, at church, almost everywhere). There was hardly a day when I fell asleep without crying - all because I just wanted somebody to love me. In the end all this made me into a person who can be emotionless and cold.

While all these struggles should have drawn me closer to God, it did the opposite for me. I could not accept that God had permitted this to me when I was His child, born to Christian parents. When I was in my first year of college, I fell in love with a childhood friend from Church. We had known each other since our junior sunday-school days and even our parents were good friends. Around the same time, I was beginning to come back to God. Unfortunately, my relationship with her only crushed my faith even more.

I began to detest Christians because I felt everyone was a fake - claiming to be spiritual on the outside but nothing inside! I could find no love among the Christians I knew - their love was conditional and it was so fake. I know this is not right to say, but this is what I feel. I have learnt to survive by myself and I live life my way. I am fiercely independent and I usually am a loner. That does not mean I am anti-social - my circles are large and I have a number of them - school, church, college, etc. though I keep them at a distance. I have learnt the meaning of love, the meaning of acceptance, the meaning of joy - and it is not the meaning they teach in Church. I have become so disillusioned with Christianity that I don't even know if I am a Christian anymore. That does not mean I do not love Jesus. I love Him. I pray to Him. I worship Him as my Lord and Saviour. But I do not follow him the way the Church teaches everybody to - the holier-than-thou attitude with an outward show of love.

I really am at a cross-roads. I find no love in the Church nor in the people who go there. But I find myself worshipping the same God that they do. Sometimes I wonder if the problem is with me or with them; I wonder who is being deceived. I live life with no regrets - I live it by my choices and by my decisions. Today, if you ask me if I am a Christian, I would say 'I am not a Christian by the way the Church defines it. I choose to worship Christ as my Lord and Saviour.' I do not know if any of you can understand my thoughts or what I am trying to say. I am just typing whatever is running through my mind at this moment although it may not appear coherent to some of you. Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions with me on this matter.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if the problem is with me or with them; I wonder who is being deceived. I live life with no regrets - I live it by my choices and by my decisions. Today, if you ask me if I am a Christian, I would say 'I am not a Christian by the way the Church defines it. I choose to worship Christ as my Lord and Saviour.'
The problem may be with what is taught at your church, or the actions of the people who go there. Hypocrisy is everywhere, it seems, even where we least expect it, and those who call themselves Christian may not be following what Jesus taught at all. But sometimes we humans have an unrealistic view of love, one where everyone needs to be nice all the time and never let anyone's feelings get hurt. Sometimes people think that it's better to let others continue sinning, because if we point out their errors, they may get offended. And that is not what Jesus taught... we are to correct each other in love, the way iron sharpens iron, and our lives and theirs should be better because of it, not worse.

So the way to find out if the problem is with your particular church or not, is to read the bible and align your behaviors with what is taught there. Read the teachings of Jesus, and what is taught about love, and follow it to the letter no matter what the people at your church are doing.

You might also be able to find a different church, where the fruits of the Spirit are more evident. Remember, people will tell you anything, but sometimes their behavior does not match their words. Follow Jesus, the light, the truth, as He is portrayed in God's word, and reject anything people tell you that doesn't line up with what's in the bible.

C

cgirl

You are disillusioned from the church, but you should not let that feelings take you away from the Lord.

Try to find another church filled with the love for God and with people that try to live their lifes according to the bible.
And remember, God is perfect, but His church is not, cause the church is made of people, and we the people make mistakes.

R

Roughsoul

Hey Roh_Chris,

To me it does sound like you may need to find another church. Christians are not perfect and don't let that guide you away besides we all are sinners in search to be more Christ like. As you know this is why Jesus died for our sins. And to me you say your not a Christian by how the church defines it. But isn't that what Jesus was? He was a man honoring God even when the churches back then had nothing to do with him and hated him for his teachings. Im not saying the churches are wrong now days but your church may just not be for you. Try joining a small group or bible study it will help you meet new people. I know it will be hard if you struggle with social anxiety. But the only way to get over it is to face it. I am sorry your childhood was rough but your right dont live with regrets and don't live in the past. You are your own man and can be anybody. Its okay to open up to people as you can see from this page its okay random people do care about you. So does God. Your searching for the truth and pray really hard for guidance. Sometimes the older the church, corruption seeps in and what once was good is now just a show to cover up corruption. But I don't know because I don't go their but don't ever give up keep praying, keep asking questions and look for different church homes. Remember we are all sinners so of course you will see our degusting side of us because we are always fighting the devil within. We are not perfect but try to be best we can be. Jesus was the only perfect man so don't look at Christians for how to be look at Jesus.

Hope I could help,
RoughSoul

J

JustAnotherUser

I can understand what you're saying and the way some Christians act while preaching about love seems so flawed, at certain points it had me at tears. It makes me unsure if it's how they were raised by tradition (especially old fashioned types) or if it's really how the belief system is. Is it actually true, worth it or even real? I didn't grow up in a strictly religious household and in a way I'm thankful for that due to possibilities that may be obvious. Many who do often leave the church and think that the religion is based on such traditions where it can seem mentally abusive...