Reading Atheist's Novels to Gain A Better Understanding of Your Own Faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UberTroxy

So I've recently gone through a bit of a faith struggle recently, and so far I'm persevering. Well, one of my close friends recently recommended I read a novel penned by an atheist, something he did when he was having a crises of faith. He claimed reading the atheist's words did nothing more than to strengthen his confidence and love for God, and as a result he was closer to God after reading the book than he was before. He even gave me a list of novels to try, penned by buys like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchins.

So my fear is that I'll start to question everything I've gained since my crises, opposite of what my friend experienced. I know guys like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchins are extremely intelligent, and probably write very articulately (probably with the hope that they'll sway individuals towards their belief system...or non belief). So should I read a book like that?

M

mori

I can't help but wonder what an atheist novel is. Little House on the Prairie: There is no God? If you're interested in the idea at all, just read an atheist's work of nonfiction.

In any case, I'd recommend against it. The exercise is really not all that useful if you're going in with the idea of rejecting what you find. This isn't the way to learn new things and it won't strengthen anything but prejudice and lazy thinking habits. You will perpetually be looking for the flaws in the argument and may find some that aren't even there; keep in mind that atheists are not wrong in every claim about Christianity.

Many dabble in apologetics (Christian or atheist) and it's terrible to confront, because they learned other beliefs only deeply enough to find what they thought was a fatal, conclusive flaw.

Read with curiosity or not at all.

J

jimmydiggs

I have a Quran, and a Book of Mormon.

I have a couple of books on philosophy of science.

When I went to the Islamic Community Center here in Cape Girardeau, I grabbed as many free materials as they would give.

I gather materials on opponents of The Cross, so that I may further contend for it. Even the classes I am taking here at college, are based on whether I can use it or not, except for my Education class.

You must be well-grounded in your faith, and your faith must be robustly biblical. I'd be happy to chat sometime if you so wish.

EDIT: I felt I should include that, I frequently discuss matters with Atheists, Muslims, Mormons, etc etc. The more you learn of Christianity, and others, the more confident you will become that there is simply no other way, but the Son of God, Christ Jesus.

Last edited:

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
So I've recently gone through a bit of a faith struggle recently, and so far I'm persevering. Well, one of my close friends recently recommended I read a novel penned by an atheist, something he did when he was having a crises of faith. He claimed reading the atheist's words did nothing more than to strengthen his confidence and love for God, and as a result he was closer to God after reading the book than he was before. He even gave me a list of novels to try, penned by buys like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchins.

So my fear is that I'll start to question everything I've gained since my crises, opposite of what my friend experienced. I know guys like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchins are extremely intelligent, and probably write very articulately (probably with the hope that they'll sway individuals towards their belief system...or non belief). So should I read a book like that?

Pick up and start reading your Bible....
Why waste your time with material that will not benefit you?
Strengthen yourself with Yahweh our Almighty Father's Book.

R

rainacorn

I read "Why I am Not A Christian" by Bertrand Russell when I was going through a bit of a faith crisis. It was easily picked apart and left me feeling blessed to understand these things that clearly a lot of people have great difficulty with.

It can be really interesting to read these sorts of books, but it will also highlight how important it is that you speak with nonbelievers. A lot of the people on this forum have decided to trap themselves in a little believer bubble where they just argue with other Christians about minor doctrinal points. They get excited when a nonbeliever wanders in, but they don't know how to effectively speak to them.

We have to get out there more. There are lots of people who don't know the Bible AT ALL who really need the gospel message of Jesus. The only people talking to them about religion are atheist leaders and comedians. I am often stunned by how little they know/understand when they are so confident in their assertions.

Talking with atheists will most definitely raise a lot of issues and force you to ask yourself serious questions. It will only make you stronger, though. It can be a mutually beneficial relationship.

T

Tethered

Pick up and start reading your Bible....
Strengthen yourself with Yahweh our Almighty Father's Book.
Dear Muslim
Dear Hindu
Dear Sikh
Dear Morman
Dear Catholic
Dear Jesuit
Dear Paganist

Pick up and start reading your [holy book]....
Strengthen yourself with our [own holy] Book
Knowledge of, and the ability to critique opposing claims is the power to which you can preach effectively for truth. I don't mean to say we need to read into all claims, just the ones which will have the biggest impact first.

J

jimmydiggs

@Tethered

Your post is a really good example of how presuppositions work within epistemology.

What is wrong about stating that one "holy book" is the standard upon which to judge all other truths?

T

The_Derf

I have benefitted from reading literature from other faiths. I really helps to know where other people are coming from and it helped me to strengthen my own faith. In the end though, the bible is where it's at! (its also quite humbling when someone from another faith nows the bible better than I do)

T

Tethered

Epistemologically, there should be a huge regress of logic to the basic, basic principles. It doesn't stop a holy book, which is substantially further up the chain of epistemological complexity (a tree of logic from a seed) from covering the entire spectrum of logic produced at that generation.

Feb 9, 2012
I have a Quran, and a Book of Mormon.

I have a couple of books on philosophy of science.

When I went to the Islamic Community Center here in Cape Girardeau, I grabbed as many free materials as they would give.

I gather materials on opponents of The Cross, so that I may further contend for it. Even the classes I am taking here at college, are based on whether I can use it or not, except for my Education class.

You must be well-grounded in your faith, and your faith must be robustly biblical. I'd be happy to chat sometime if you so wish.

EDIT: I felt I should include that, I frequently discuss matters with Atheists, Muslims, Mormons, etc etc. The more you learn of Christianity, and others, the more confident you will become that there is simply no other way, but the Son of God, Christ Jesus.
I agree - it is good to be informed.

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011

<Here> is a testimony by a man who was once an atheist.

This should help a lot

Feb 4, 2012
the fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ya know.

Feb 4, 2012
I wrote an atheist novel and published it and I think it Glofirys God. It was really my testimmony part of it.

Feb 9, 2012
I wrote an atheist novel and published it and I think it Glofirys God. It was really my testimmony part of it.
I have a hard time believing... particularly because most of your posts lack clear punctuation and grammar.

Feb 4, 2012
Is this better for you? I hope you feel better now. I am sorry things seem so irritating. I would fix it if I could, but all I can do is hope to rectify your hope in the purity of my english, my friend, with this letter.
Sorry, I am just so careless. You know? Everythings just great. I know we need to try try try try try my man. Trial and error. Jesus says trials make you stronger and this is tow. So since it's been suggested that I am taking suggestions I will be more carefuly.
Does the grammar thing really not go over well? I always enjoyed being able to read anything. I read some psycho stuff on the internet and some of it is written in broken english. I don't know if you find all this interesting or not but I do. Really, if the grammar thing is that bad I will try to post to you only with the skills imparted to me by my cum laude degree in english/writing. Love ya!