Reading my Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MooseAura

In church, I am constantly told by my Sunday School teachers, Youth Leaders, preachers, and others that I should dig myself into the Word habitually.
I do struggle with this one might I say!
I try, but I usually tend to fall behind and lose track of my readings.

How do others such as you guys plant yourself in His Word and stay in it??

I am trying to improve myself everday as a Christian, but it makes it difficult when I can't seem to get myself to stay in His Word!

Apr 14, 2011
Reading the Bible takes time. There are lots of Christian sites that have looking go through the Bible in one year and other readings. But it also depends where you want to start in the Bible yourself. Also, you might need to read to just read the Bible and/or listen it. But again it is up to you. Also, can you do it in the morning, the night, or the afternoon? God bless.

N

Noah-Grace

Before each time, I was reading I felt asleep but now I pray before reading it and ask the lord to enlight me while reading my bible often I read the same verses several times and each times the lord show me different things.

M

MooseAura

Reading the Bible takes time. There are lots of Christian sites that have looking go through the Bible in one year and other readings. But it also depends where you want to start in the Bible yourself. Also, you might need to read to just read the Bible and/or listen it. But again it is up to you. Also, can you do it in the morning, the night, or the afternoon? God bless.
Well by reading the Bible, I don't exactly mean reading it cover to cover.

That is one of many reading plans with the Word, but I mean more along the lines of getting in it period and studying it.

Is there any books of the Bible that you'd recommend to encourage a teenager that fights off the currrent day temptations that we have today.

Apr 14, 2011
I would recommend Psalms in that case and maybe some Proverbs. There you go!

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
A desire for reading the Bible shows a love for God. The way I see it, reading the Bible is one-half of our communication with Him. The other half is prayer; we pray to speak to God, and He speaks to us through the Bible. That's why it's called God's Word; because He is speaking through it.

P

Powemm

In church, I am constantly told by my Sunday School teachers, Youth Leaders, preachers, and others that I should dig myself into the Word habitually.

How do others such as you guys plant yourself in His Word and stay in it?

I am trying to improve myself everday as a Christian, but it makes it difficult when I can't seem to get myself to stay in His Word!

How do others such as you guys plant yourself in His Word and stay in it??

Great question!
I allow God to "lead me" to His word ..
If something comes to mind , I go to the index or now to the computer and type in the words coming or words matching a picture or image in my heart .. This is actually how the bible began making sense.. Before I had a very difficult time .. Talk to God ask Him to lead and Guide you ask the holy spirit to be your teacher.. When the "student " is ready? This is when the teacher , the Holy Spirit will cone and guide you into All Gods truth .. Pray and ask for interpretation and understanding as well.. It Takes time .. Just continue prayin in it and conversing with God ..
His word tells us "knock and I shall answer , seek and ye shall find" seek by conversing with god like I'm sure you already do..
I pray the journey He leads you on through it reveals it really is a "living"
Word ...

M

MooseAura

Thanks for the replies!

Psalms and Proverbs both have PLENTY that can speak to one's soul (as well as the rest of the Bible!) I know from past experience!

I also know that Matthew 5, 6, and 7 have plenty a verses to impact character traits and how a person should act to problems that can be learned from ALOT, and I also know 1 John is good because the context of the book is a letter to a new upcoming preacher (the name of which escapes me) and it's purpose was to encourage him and strengthen him to stay in the fight.

I was looking for more specifics such as these if anyone had them.

I will heed the previous replies' suggestions and both pray (before and after) when reading/studying, and I will re-dig into Psalms and Proverbs.

Thanks guys. :)

But I'm still listening if there is any more suggestions out there. :D

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hey MooseAura,
without knowing you it's really hard to recommend particular books of the bible, and particular studies.
Your pastor, or a mature christian who knows you well, can probably make much better recommendations.

BTW, I think most people have a hard time sticking to their bible reading consistently.

Anyway, here are a couple of things I'm thinking.
1. It is AWESOME that your desire is to stay in the scripture. Just desiring that is a wonderful thing.
2. There is a principle that God will give us the desires of our heart... WHEN... the desires of our heart are the same as the desires of God's heart... like bible study etc.
3. The spiritual things that help us to grow and mature...God want's those things for us even more than we want them.
4. If you really desire to learn the scripture, and stay in them more consistently... God will undoubtedly help you.

N

Nancyer

One thing that might help is a devotional. You can find Teen daily devotionals, ones for men, women, married, single, etc. I have a couple I like. (the first one I had was a gift and it is very dog eared, marked up, highlighted, very used and loved). Some have each page dated "Thursday, April 25" Others just have the day of the month, which I prefer, because you can keep it year after year and if you get off track you can just start up again. I read the day's devotion, go to that part of the Bible and then the concordance in the back and look up other scriptures on the same topic.

While I don't get to this every day without fail, when I do I usually go through 3 or 4 days worth of pages. I have notebooks all over the house and in my car of notes on these.

I hope this helps, prayers for you in your walk. You appear to be quite the young man and I have no doubt you will forge ahead with God. Bless you.