reincarnation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 3, 2012
i don't believe in it but i just have one question. is John the baptist the reincarnation of Elisha? just wondering...

A

Agravesx

No, it was the Spirit of Elijah that fell upon John the Baptist, but John himself was not Elijah.
Luke 1:17 said:
And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Dec 25, 2012
John came in the spirit of Elijah continuing the ministry. Whether we are to understand that John was filled with the literal spirit or merely in the manner, demeanor, and authority of Elijah is a matter of who you ask but as far as the reincarnation the text nowhere leaves room for such malarkey.

K

kenisyes

You mean is John the reincarnation of Elijah, right? Elisha was never mentioned in regard to John. Recall, Elijah showed up on the mountain with Moses, when Jesus was transfigured (Matt. 17:3 and other places). Even if you believe in reincarnation, which I do not, you have to realize: If he had reincarnated with John, his karma would have become John's and he would not have been able to be Elijah anymore.

The Bible actually teaches against reincarnation: "It is appointed to every man to die once, and after that the judgment." (Heb. 9:27) The judgment is described by Jesus, and there is no room for a second try on earth in the story He tells. (Matt. 25:31 ff.)

Luke 1:17 says, John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. Both of these come from God, and He can give them as He chooses.

Dec 19, 2009
i don't believe in it but i just have one question. is John the baptist the reincarnation of Elisha? just wondering...
I think we’re talking about Elijah, not Elisha. Anyway, I think that they are not the same person, but they are playing the same role.

J

jimmydiggs

[snip]

The Bible actually teaches against reincarnation: "It is appointed to every man to die once, and after that the judgment." (Heb. 9:27) The judgment is described by Jesus, and there is no room for a second try on earth in the story He tells. (Matt. 25:31 ff.)

Luke 1:17 says, John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. Both of these come from God, and He can give them as He chooses.
Excellent and to the point. :)

Nov 3, 2012
sorry.

yes, it is elijah and not elisha

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
If you don't believe in reincarnation, why ask such a question?

Feb 17, 2010
Annjho, What makes up a person. The flesh is just a vessel. The soul is in the blood, and the spirit gives both the soul and the body life. The personality of the person is in the spirit. The person is three parts but only the spirit is the LIFE of that person.

When Elijah, or Elias was born he recieved a spirit to be a LIVING SOUL. And he became a prohet. God says that all His prophets were holy men of God, and He says they were MOVED by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:21. Since it is the Holy Ghost, and ONLY the Holy Ghost that can make a person holy, Elias/Elijah was filled with the Holy Ghost as a prophet. So when God said that He would send the prohet Elijah to prepare the way for Jesus, God will send Elijah, the HOLY GHOST FILLED SPIRIT OF ELIJAH. That spirit that MOVED Elijah will be the same Spirit that would move John, FROM HIS MOTHER'S WOMB....

Look what Spirit John recieved when he took his first breath....
Luk_1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

When God makes a person HOLY, like He did with all His prohets, God makes their Spirits ONE WITH HIM. He makes their SPIRITS ONE WITH THE HOLY GHOST. Though they were individuals, they were of ONE SPIRIT! Eph 4. And look how God made 5000 men of one heart, one soul and one spirit... (Holy Spirit)
Act_4:32
And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: ...

Is this re-incarnate? Maybe it is! It is defenately God using the same spirit of Elijah in two bodies. John was never a new person, like all other babies, that recieves a NEW spirit. John was Elijah in a second body. That is why John was HOLY from his birth. Because Elijah was STILL HOLY, and Elijah is STILL Elijah the Holy prophet, today. John the baptist does not exist today. Only Elijah is with Jesus. That is why Elijah returned to the mountain. The flesh of John was only a vessel for a purpose.... To prepare the way for Jesus, and to be the greatest born from a woman. That holy prophet spirit was what made him the greatest.

Last edited: