Reinvesting my time with the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FJM

Hello all,

This is my first post and seek some guidance. It has been many years since I have sought consolation from the Good Book but as a gent of many years hence, I am trying to reconcile my thoughts with certain passages.

I am having difficulty with Genesis 22. Today we would find it an abomination to offer up our first born or any child, to me anyway, as a burnt offering to abide by God's word and his test of Abraham.

Can anyone offer me advice on how I can put this in to perspective in the 21st century.

As I say, I am reading the Good Book for the first time in many years and my ability to translate is currently poor.

Love to all.

Mar 4, 2013
Hello all,

This is my first post and seek some guidance. It has been many years since I have sought consolation from the Good Book but as a gent of many years hence, I am trying to reconcile my thoughts with certain passages.

I am having difficulty with Genesis 22. Today we would find it an abomination to offer up our first born or any child, to me anyway, as a burnt offering to abide by God's word and his test of Abraham.

Can anyone offer me advice on how I can put this in to perspective in the 21st century.

As I say, I am reading the Good Book for the first time in many years and my ability to translate is currently poor.

Love to all.
That can be a hard one for sure. One thing we should consider is that Abraham was promised that his seed would be blessed by the promised covenant. He fully trusted, and it was accounted to him as one who had total faith in what God promised.

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said , My father: and he said , Here am I, my son. And he said , Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

Genesis 17:21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.

I don't think Abraham knew how God would fulfill the promise written in chapter 17, but Abraham knew that God was good for His word. I think that is called "hope" in the New Testament. I think that even if Abraham would have sacrificed his own son as God did His, (Jesus Christ) somehow God would still have been able to fulfill the promise He made previously to Abraham. I really don't know if I would have had that kind of faith, but we know now, as Abraham might have known then, that killing Isaac wasn't God's will in the first place. Hard tellin'

Genesis 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

Last edited:
P

psychomom

Hello all,

Love to all.
welcome to the site! :)

just imo, God never intended for Isaac to be killed.
and Abraham trusted the promise to the point he knew if God had to, He would raise Issac from the dead.
but, 'take your son...your only son...the son you love...'
wow.

a beautiful prophetic picture of the Lord Jesus. ♥

Jul 22, 2014
Hello all,

Love to all.
God did not tell Abraham to permanently take the life his own son. Actually, the Scriptures tell us that Abraham believed that God was going to resurrect his son from the dead.

Hebrews 11:17-19

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

Jul 22, 2014
Hello all,

Love to all.
Also, I will be discussing Genesis chapter 22 in Abraham and Sarah's Story at some point in my Bible Study Commentary Thread. If you are interested, you can check that out here:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/100331-study-scriptures-all-stories-bible.html

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Due to my signature, I will recuse myself. :rolleyes:

O

oldthennew

FJM,

what a delight to hear of your re-connecting to our Father in Heaven
by being drawn-back to His Word.

may you find the joy and peace He so freely gives to those who
seek Him in Truth and Sincerity.

a key lesson in the 'Story of Abraham offering his son' is that
the scripture tells us that he who loves his father, mother, son, daughter,
or 'anything' more than Me, is not worthy of Me.

in the second verse, it appears that God is 'commanding' Abraham to take
his only son whom he loves and offer him up,
but in the Hebrew translation, it is a 'request', saying, 'Please take your son'.

Jul 22, 2014
Hello all,

Love to all.
Also, you said, "Today we would find it an abomination to offer up our first born or any child."

How do we explain that?

Well, you have to understand that our sin to God is repulsive and an abomination unto the Lord. Hence, why there is a "price to pay." This is why some of us might think it is an abomination to see innocent blood that is shed. In other words, the price (For our abomination of sin against God) is the shedding of blood because the "life is in the blood"; For without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins (Leviticus 17:11). See, when Adam sinned against God back in the garden, he passsed sin down upon every man, woman, and child from that point (Because we are a part of Adam and we would have made the same choice he did); For all who were born into this world are under Adam's rebellion and are spiritually dead and or cut off from having fellowship with God. For Man is born into trouble and even sins from his youth. Therefore, Man needs to be reunited back to God again (Thru a Savior) who will give him a new heart and a new life. This is why Jesus Christ died for you and me. However, if we forget and or minimize Adam's sin and or our own sin within our life; If we don't think our sin is ugly and disgusting as God does, then we really will never understand the exchange of the sacrifice (Jesus made for us) and why it is needed. In other words, if you feel your sin is repulsive to God, then you will see the need for an equal exchange of something to take away that ugliness that you might feel inside (That is hurting your right relationship with God).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
See, sometimes when certain people don't believe in parts of the Bible, or when they ignore them, and or they find it hard to accept the tough parts of it, they really don't stop and think about it from God's perspective and or ask God for the understanding from the Lord and wait upon Him for the answer (Jeremiah 33:3). They don't seek out every article from every believer they can get their hands on. They don't seek the Scriptures and compare Scripture with Scripture. They just throw their arms up and think the worse instead of thinking about how God sees it (According to His Word).

Last edited: