Remenissing About Days of Yore

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
First time I heard of and ate a roastin' ear was living in Pendleton, In.
When I was a youngster we would sneak away to the 'ol swimming hole. On the walk back home we would be hungry and would eat raw field corn. I was actually pretty good when it is young, but I learned the hard way not to eat more than one small ear!

P

persistent

When I was a youngster we would sneak away to the 'ol swimming hole. On the walk back home we would be hungry and would eat raw field corn. I was actually pretty good when it is young, but I learned the hard way not to eat more than one small ear!
You are right on. I wonder if the pickled little ears in grocers markets are field or sweet? I grew my own sweet corn and pigged out big time on first crop eating 36 ears at one sitting, No problem. Sweet corn can be eaten raw I find out only some 20 years ago. Delicious!!!

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
You are right on. I wonder if the pickled little ears in grocers markets are field or sweet? I grew my own sweet corn and pigged out big time on first crop eating 36 ears at one sitting, No problem. Sweet corn can be eaten raw I find out only some 20 years ago. Delicious!!!
36 ears would have turned me inside-out! :confused:

P

persistent

36 ears would have turned me inside-out! :confused:
And I not that big just average. Only did it that one time. Got carried away with home grown tasty corn. It was probably standard yellow but later on I found out that the white can be even better.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
And I not that big just average. Only did it that one time. Got carried away with home grown tasty corn. It was probably standard yellow but later on I found out that the white can be even better.
I was referring to "Processing Capabilities" :sick:

P

persistent

Lol. I have only seen a few plays, and am not an opera fan at all.
if you listen to the promotion the topic may surprise you and the evolution over time

P

persistent

That's quite a list! The last song title brings this same-titled song to mind :D

Pleasant Surprise....The lyrics are more relevant today than 1969. The music fitting too....somber.....first time I heard this. I see the group originated in London and there is a post of a promotion from around 2012 for a production of Weills' ..'City of Mahagonny',...which points to London as 'Mahagony'. It is posted this thread #40 and #41

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Lol. I have only seen a few plays, and am not an opera fan at all.
I am not a fan of opera, either :unsure: However, Paul Schwartz gives popular
operatic arias a once over and I find the results stunningly palatable :D
Schwartz was Andre Previn's assistant conductor with the Pittsburgh Symphony
and musical director for Andrew Lloyd Webber 's Phanton of the Opera. He has
three CDs that I know of (Aria, Aria 2, Aria 3) to his name done after this fashion.

Here is an example (Paul's version starts @ 00:48)

He also did a CD called State of Grace featuring Lisbeth Scott on vocals.

This has long been a fave of mine :D The original was written by Ambrose of Milan in the 4th century.

P

persistent

r Andrew Lloyd Webber 's Phanton of the Opera. He has
three CDs that I know of (Aria, Aria 2, Aria 3) to his name done after this fashion.
I have gone almost 4 years without listening to music. Phantom I used to really like the Schwartz piece is appealing. I still don't pay much attention to music now. Kurt Weill is a different animal. Years ago on the internet or tv I saw a production of 'mahagony' that didn't come across as opera at all. Actually I believe among the hoi polloi Weills' works are not 'opera'. Snobs!!!???stuffed shirts????Weill seems to be delivering a message. Gods' or the Devils'?????His 'seven deadly sins' is strange. I could also play along on guitar to his 'Alabama' song. It was kind of popular like the 'Mack the Knife' from his 'Three Penny Opera'. Well known people did both. Alabama song is strange.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I recall ...the first cellphones were heavy as bricks

I had a flip phone until it broke.

I even had a Garfield Phone once but it didnt work with our phone network.

Also I lost the remote to the TV at school so now I have to go to the wall and turn it on at the switch.

IMG_1528.JPG

I used to use a typewriter, by the time I was at school they had gone electronic.