Repent and be Baptized.....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Why is “repentenc” necessary prior to water baptism.

IF we understand that water baptism is a symbolic act giving "witness" to a spiritual rebirth, then we can understand the need for "repentance." Our spiritual rebirth into Jesus can not be seen/witnessed by the naked eye, thus Jesus commanded that we be water baptized, and, in this way, we profess to the Church and the World that we have become His disciples. The forgiveness of sin HAS ALREADY occurred.......Water baptism IS NOT unto salvation. It IS a "witness" OF our salvation to the Church, and to the World. So why would Jesus want us to do this? Let Him tell us Himself:

Matthew 10:32) Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 .) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 12:8) Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
9 .) But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.

Ok, what about repentance............

The first word Jesus preached in public was “repent”………..

Matthew 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Look at what is said in Acts 4:16) Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 .) For as much then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? 18 .) When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

And again in Acts 20:20) And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, 21 .) Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

So, in Acts 2:38, when Peter said: “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” He was well in line with the teaching of Jesus…….This is not a new concept/teaching…….consider:

Proverbs 28:13)He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso
confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

John taught this as well……consider:

1[SUP]st[/SUP] John 1:6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 .) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 .) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 .) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Again, consider what Luke wrote……….Luke 15:10) Likewise, I sa y unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. And in the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Chapter, Luke records this…..from verse 3) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

And Peter taught in Acts 3:19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

You can decide for yourselves IF we should "repent" of our sins..........as for me and my house we will with a sincere and contrite heart repent of our sins and pray that God will be faithful to forgive us of our sins.....

AND we will be water baptized because Jesus said we were to be.......and to PROCLAIM to the Church and the World that we are His disciples.

God bless you each and every one.

Feb 17, 2010
P your doctrine fails MYSRABLY... Terrible doctrine... just TERRIBLE...
Oh boy where do I start with you?

Every verse you quoted is NOT A WATER BAPTISM.... First let us establish how many baptisms does GOD CONSIDER AS A BAPTISM... Let me assure you the WATER BAPTISM however sincere and with good intentions does not score ANY POINTS with God.... God only consider ONE BAPTISM.... ONE!

The answer to how many BAPTISMS GOD CONSIDERS AS FAITHFUL ACTS..... ONE!

There is NO SECOND... NONE OTHER THAN ONE!!!!

PROOF:
Eph 4:5.... ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM....

To use ANY Scripture to show any OTHER Baptism, you are GRAVELY DECEIVING PEOPLE FROM TRUTH....

Truth... ONE BAPTISM... So what is the ONE BAPTISM.... Well JOHN THE BAPTIST... THE LAST WATER BAPTIST SEND BY GOD.... Said this....
I BAPTIZE WITH WATER, BUT HE THAT COMETH AFTER ME SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH FIRE AND SPIRIT....

So what ONE BAPTISM IS THERE?..... FIRE AND SPIRIT... Not FIRE Baptism and Spirit batism... FIRE AND SPIRIT... ONE BAPTISM...Eternally greatful wants to split the two, but they are ONE BAPTISM... The Fire is NOT HELL... It is PURENESS.. .Gods Word is LIKE A FIRE THAT JUST TURNS INTO A BLAZING FIRE, and THE SPIRIT THRIVES IN GODS FIRE... Look what God looks like.... HIS EYES WERE LIKE A FLAME OF FIRE... WOW!

And even the TWO PROPHETS/WITNESSES can let FIRE COME OUT THEIR MOUTHS... WOW!!!! Wonder if they Got it in the FIRE AND SPIRIT BAPTISM... Oh yes they did!

So there I started and finished... Sorry my mate, but Truth is Truth.... And it is in the Word of God... If waterbaptism was concidered by God Jesus would have baptized with water,,,,, HE NEVER DID... He went through one, with John the Baptist,,,, TO COMPLETE THE PROHECY ABOUT JOHN'S BAPTISM... John's baptism, water, was a command from God, untill Jesus started baptizing, then that water baptism had no more need! NONE WHATSOEVER...

It is NOT unbiblical, but it is NO NECCESATY... NONE. It is only a SYMBOL... GOd is not a GOD OF SYMBOLS, but of POWER and ACTION.

Imagine God baptizing a person with HIS HOLY SPIRIT.... just IMAGINE God baptizing you with the HOLY GHOST.... And compare it with ANY water baptism... I mean not even the Baptism of Jesus can compare when God baptize a repented sinner with HIS HOLY GHOST... remember Jesus was BORN OF THE SPIRIT,.... not the sinner... So it is even BIGGER than the HOLY JESUS recieving the Spirit as a DOVE... God says the POWER that HE aised Jesus with, is the same POWER that God use to BAPTIZE WITH HOLY GHOST... the QUICKENING OF THE FLESH OF A ONCE SINNING MAN...WOW!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I wonder why it seemed necessary for the Ethiopian to be baptized after learning of the Torah which was explained by Philip up to the crucifixion. I first received the Holy Spirit, but later, in order to follow the example of Yeshua, I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. I did not feel I needed to be baptized with water, but my Lord was, so I followed His Example led by the Holy Spirit.

Feb 17, 2010
Why wonder about ANYTHING Jaume... It is written in the Word of God.... Ok just prior to the ETHIOPIAN Philip also baptized the WHOLE city in Samaria, and even Simon the sorcerer.... And now Jaume, how many of them did the Spirit of God fall on?

Also did the Ethiopian receive the Spirit when HE WAS BAPTIZED? If he did, what was different to Samaria? It was the SAME Philip that baptized with WATER.... Read it in Acts 8 for your answers and explain what happened, because it looks like the WATER BAPTISM DID NOTHING TO THEIR FAITH OR STATE OF HOLINESS...

Share with me how you received the Holy Spirit PLEASE...

What I do not understand is that you FIRST RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT, THEN you followed Jesus... If the HOLY SPIRIT IS JESUS AND YOU HAVE HIM IN YOU... HOW DO YOU FOLLOW HIM? That is just CRAZY....

I am on the train yet I follow the train... COme on man Gospel has to make more sence than that.

You will just confuse children and that is a MAJOR sin.... God said you will receive POWER when the Spirit is come upon you...

Now share with me how you received the Holy Spirit, please. It has to be biblical or I will tare it to peaces with scripture....

So go man do not be ashamed.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You always come up with your doctrine, however Philip was given to baptize with the Holy Spirt.............I am sorry, but I will continue to please Yeshua before I listen to tales woven by the mind of ambitious man. I am not looking for sin in a word, nor do I look for the easy way, though being baptized is hardly a difficult task. If you do not mind, I will continue in the Way given me by Jesus Christ. It took over four decades for me to understand that it is just fine to call Him by the name His family and friends called Him. There is no command for this, nor is there one to call Him Jesus, so you see I do wait for the Lord on my decisions. Thank you for telling me about MAJOR sin, perhaps you will be satisfied with your accusation. As for sharing with you, I have shared my experience more than one time here in the forum, now I do not think it would be mete considering the tone you have adopted.

Why wonder about ANYTHING Jaume... It is written in the Word of God.... Ok just prior to the ETHIOPIAN Philip also baptized the WHOLE city in Samaria, and even Simon the sorcerer.... And now Jaume, how many of them did the Spirit of God fall on?

Also did the Ethiopian receive the Spirit when HE WAS BAPTIZED? If he did, what was different to Samaria? It was the SAME Philip that baptized with WATER.... Read it in Acts 8 for your answers and explain what happened, because it looks like the WATER BAPTISM DID NOTHING TO THEIR FAITH OR STATE OF HOLINESS...

Share with me how you received the Holy Spirit PLEASE...

What I do not understand is that you FIRST RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT, THEN you followed Jesus... If the HOLY SPIRIT IS JESUS AND YOU HAVE HIM IN YOU... HOW DO YOU FOLLOW HIM? That is just CRAZY....

I am on the train yet I follow the train... COme on man Gospel has to make more sence than that.

You will just confuse children and that is a MAJOR sin.... God said you will receive POWER when the Spirit is come upon you...

Now share with me how you received the Holy Spirit, please. It has to be biblical or I will tare it to peaces with scripture....

So go man do not be ashamed.

Feb 17, 2010
Ok JaumeJ let us leave the personal stuff out of this... Can you show me where in the Bible God says Philip was given to baptize with Holy Spirit. Please this will change the doctrine I have. but If it is not in Scripture then you should change yours...

I TEST everything I appoint as doctrine to the Word of God... the Bible says expressly... They were all baptized , only in the Name of Jesus, and the Spirit fell on none of them... Please show me the cotrary, so I can adapt my doctrine.
Act 8:16 (For as yet he (Holy Ghost) was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
This is straight from the Word... KJV...I added the Blue becasue the Spirit was mentioned in the preceeding verse...

Sorry JaumeJ it is NOT against you as person. I am NOT an accepter of the person, but I would appose false teacing with REBUKE from the word of God.... Do not take it personally, I only reproof with God's Word, and rebuke false teaching with the SAME WORD...
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Last edited:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Continue concluding by your tests. As for Philip, the apostles received power when the Holy Spirit came down and entered into them. As far as I know, they all were given this gift, and they all baptized. It does not bother me if each of the Twelve are not mentioned specifically having this gift because they were all sent out. Perhaps you do not believe Yahweh equipped them all, but I believe He did.
I never taught, nor would I, that water baptism is an absolute for salvation, but I would never teach against it, nor would I even approach saying it is wrong.
Now, I cringe when I see your posts because usually they include intimations, notions alluding to others not being right, and a general superior attitude. Anyone may make a pasta of words and confuse those who are not ready to be assaulted by a barrage of haphazardly collected verses that have an appearance of being informed, but the love is absent, and in the absence I am afraid is undeniable alienation. Do not be so quick to attack, leaving the personal stuff aside, and do not attempt to out fox old foxes with feigned dialogue. The veiled accusations are already there, and the veil is transparent.

Feb 17, 2010
Philip was not an Apostle, that is why he could not baptize with the Spirit. He was a deacon/evangelist. The Bible says by the laying on of the hands of the Apostles the Spirit was given.... Then Simon wanted to BUY that gift.... And again he was rebuked by the Apostles...
JaumeJ let us walk with the Truth, Please my friend.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Philip the Apostle (Greek: Φίλιππος, Philippos) was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. Later Christian traditions describe Philip as the apostle who preached in Greece, Syria, and Phrygia.
In the Roman Catholic Church, the feast day of Philip, along with that of James the Just, was traditionally observed on 1 May, the anniversary of the dedication of the church dedicated to them in Rome (now called the Church of the Twelve Apostles). The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates Philip's feast day on 14 November. One of the Gnostic texts found in the Nag Hammadi library in 1945 has been given the modern title "Gospel of Philip", though this text makes no claim to have been written by Philip. It gets the name simply because Philip is the only apostle ever mentioned in the text (73:8).

Frankly, I am not gloating because I am correct. I do not like the vein in which you continue trying to lead others. Why do you not just drop it now? Thank you.

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Cobus.......quick thought.........this thread is about "repentance" and the NEED thereof.......not water baptism.......just saying, now I'll read the rest of your comments, and those of the others......

Try to focus on "repentance."

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
P your doctrine fails MYSRABLY... Terrible doctrine... just TERRIBLE...
Oh boy where do I start with you?

Every verse you quoted is NOT A WATER BAPTISM.... First let us establish how many baptisms does GOD CONSIDER AS A BAPTISM... Let me assure you the WATER BAPTISM however sincere and with good intentions does not score ANY POINTS with God.... God only consider ONE BAPTISM.... ONE!

The answer to how many BAPTISMS GOD CONSIDERS AS FAITHFUL ACTS..... ONE!

There is NO SECOND... NONE OTHER THAN ONE!!!!

PROOF:
Eph 4:5.... ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM....

To use ANY Scripture to show any OTHER Baptism, you are GRAVELY DECEIVING PEOPLE FROM TRUTH....

Truth... ONE BAPTISM... So what is the ONE BAPTISM.... Well JOHN THE BAPTIST... THE LAST WATER BAPTIST SEND BY GOD.... Said this....
I BAPTIZE WITH WATER, BUT HE THAT COMETH AFTER ME SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH FIRE AND SPIRIT....

So what ONE BAPTISM IS THERE?..... FIRE AND SPIRIT... Not FIRE Baptism and Spirit batism... FIRE AND SPIRIT... ONE BAPTISM...Eternally greatful wants to split the two, but they are ONE BAPTISM... The Fire is NOT HELL... It is PURENESS.. .Gods Word is LIKE A FIRE THAT JUST TURNS INTO A BLAZING FIRE, and THE SPIRIT THRIVES IN GODS FIRE... Look what God looks like.... HIS EYES WERE LIKE A FLAME OF FIRE... WOW!

And even the TWO PROPHETS/WITNESSES can let FIRE COME OUT THEIR MOUTHS... WOW!!!! Wonder if they Got it in the FIRE AND SPIRIT BAPTISM... Oh yes they did!

So there I started and finished... Sorry my mate, but Truth is Truth.... And it is in the Word of God... If waterbaptism was concidered by God Jesus would have baptized with water,,,,, HE NEVER DID... He went through one, with John the Baptist,,,, TO COMPLETE THE PROHECY ABOUT JOHN'S BAPTISM... John's baptism, water, was a command from God, untill Jesus started baptizing, then that water baptism had no more need! NONE WHATSOEVER...

It is NOT unbiblical, but it is NO NECCESATY... NONE. It is only a SYMBOL... GOd is not a GOD OF SYMBOLS, but of POWER and ACTION.

Imagine God baptizing a person with HIS HOLY SPIRIT.... just IMAGINE God baptizing you with the HOLY GHOST.... And compare it with ANY water baptism... I mean not even the Baptism of Jesus can compare when God baptize a repented sinner with HIS HOLY GHOST... remember Jesus was BORN OF THE SPIRIT,.... not the sinner... So it is even BIGGER than the HOLY JESUS recieving the Spirit as a DOVE... God says the POWER that HE aised Jesus with, is the same POWER that God use to BAPTIZE WITH HOLY GHOST... the QUICKENING OF THE FLESH OF A ONCE SINNING MAN...WOW!
WOW! :) laughing out loud.......very loudly......YOU COMPLETELY misunderstood everything I said.........so, there is really no reason for me to go through all of your commentary and correct you............maybe you should read the other thread on baptism on this Forum, and read my comments there............then get back to me......... :)

God bless

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Seriously guys............do not hijack my thread.........THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSING THE NEED FOR REPENTANCE.....NOT WATER BAPTISM.....

READ THE OP......If y'all can't understand the OP, how will we ever come to an understanding of Scripture?

I have no problem with debating baptism........BUT ON ANOTHER THREAD PLEASE.........

thank you for your consideration.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Cobus, had to read your original comment again, and I remain COMPLETELY SHOCKED at how you could SO DISTORT what I stated in the OP.

Please explain how you did this, for it is surely a mystery.

Feb 17, 2010
P_rehbein, I said this not to you. Some people think that when they are baptized with WATER, that is the moment the NEW you enters... The the OLD man dies there.... So sorry if you think that was aimed at you. I know both of us ARE VERY alike in our doctrine. Shocked you may be but not nearly as the ones that think AFTER the water baptism God does not see you sin ans sin any longer, like He is looking at the Blood of Jesus because you declared yourself dead with the WATER...

Sorry if you think I was aiming at you and I do agree... AS LONG AS THE HOLY SPIRIT REPROOF YOU OF SIN.... REPENT... TURN FROM THAT SIN AND LET GOD SEPERATE THAT SIN FROM YOU///

I know I started off with P your doctrine is terrible.... but I wanted all who read this to see that the WATER BAPTISM is nothing but a symbol... It is NOT the great command of BAPTIZE IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT... That BAPTISM is with the WORD OF GOD... And as long as we go against the WORD OF GOD the HOLY SPIRIT WILL REPROOF and we need to REPENT...

Sorry if I used you as the whip, but hopefully the WATER TRUSTERS would see that as long as you sin YOU HAVE TO REPENT, before and AFTER the WATER BAPTISM... that is NOT oyur salvation... I used my dear fereind P_rehbein as a whip to say WATERBAPTISM does not count any points in the DOCTRINE of the BIBLE... It is not a sin to baptize in water, just as it is not a sin to drink alchahol... but the mistreatment of BOTH is a SIN...

P_rehbein, I once stood in fromt of a false prophet and he said... Cobus, let me prophecy to you, you will never have peace until you are baptized.... in water.... Now those are the ones I was adressing... Not you my dear friend...

I SEE what you say that repentance need to be made first PRIOR to water baptism, and that was what I was adressing... Water baptism is not a requirement for salvation... Many would rum with that and say.... P_rehbein also says waterbaptism is a neccesity for salvation, and it is not.

Sorry if you think it was straight at you. You know I will gladly walk with you the two miles....

Love you man. Remember MANY people read this... And I am with you... REPENTANCE IS A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION.

Feb 17, 2010
JaumeJ you do realize the Philip you think was an Aposlte is not the Philip that went to Samaria... He was the DEACON/EVANGELIST... the Philip that was BAPTIZED by the APOSTLES with Stephen as DEACONS...

I believe ALL Apostles could baptize with the Holy Ghost. So there would be no need to send the Apostles John and Peter if the Philip in Samaria was Philip the APOSTLE....

Jesus said that the Apostles laid hands on the people and they were given the Holy Spirit,,,, why is that Philip the Apostle cannot do this? So it had to be the DEACON PHILIP.

I do agree though, there was also a apostle Philip. But i think the fact that Philip the DEACON baptized with water, he was not the APOSTLE Philip.

Feb 17, 2010
JaumeJ you too my friend, if I come over a bit hard on you,,, it is not you, but this people that think they get the Holy Spirit when the WATER BAPTISM is done... I cannot find proof in the Bible that the waterbaptism is a gaurentee for the giving of the Holy Ghost...

My friend I use the strong ones as whips, and the Word as a sword. So many people say they have the Holy Ghost in them and they are baptized with the Holy Spirit, but yet they sin... Well that is just so unbiblical... When the Holy Spirit REPROOF us of sin, is HE the indwelling spirit that moves and thinks and talks what we DO and THINK and SAY? NEVER... He cannot sin.

He does not NEED to repent... he convicts us of the sin in our lives so that WE CAN REPENT. And he will not stop until we COMPLETELY REPENTED... He know ALL SIN.. even the ones we did not know was sin.. He will also SHOW those for us and we need to REPENT... but even though the Spirit does this, does not mean we were BAPTIZED with the HOLY Spirit...

So many people think when the Spirit starts the REPROOFING of sin in a person that that is the moment they RECIEVE the HOLY SPIRIT, or that is the BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT,.... but it is NOT.

So sorry again if you two dear friends think this is aimed at you... It is aimed at those false doctrines... JaumeJ how is the Spirit of God GIVEN to SEAL the DEAL today? And maybe we will see that this happens at the END OF THE ENDURING IN TRUTH.... NOt when you start the repentance road, when you finish the repentance road....

P_Rehbein the BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS AT THE END OF REPENTING ALL SIN THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTS OR REPROOF YOU OF! Again I use your Name but I say it to ALL who read this....Sorry for using your name my dear friend.