Requesting thoughts on what a pastor said in church today...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
It was prophesied in Psalm 22:1 that Jesus would experience this second death on our behalf. He then released His spirit from the body because the second death could not be finalized until the first one was completed (separation from the body). Jesus could accurately say then, "It is finished" (John 19:30).
This is commentary on Psalms 22 below ---nothing in here about Jesus experiencing the second death that I see ------------it points to His Crucifixion but not a second death ------

So provide the scripture that Jesus actually experienced the second Death ----going to the Lake of Fire ----the Lake of Fire is the second death for unbelievers ------did Jesus go there ---I don't think so -------

What does Psalm chapter 22 mean?

Descriptions in this psalm indicate a painful execution—something David did not suffer. This implies that the terminology used here is symbolic of David's feelings.

At the same time, it serves as a prophetic explanation of what would happen to the Promised One.
These events would be fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus, who will reference this text from the cross (Matthew 27:46).

This passage opens with a statement of pain and suffering, commonly expressed by those who are suffering. In essence, this is the cry of someone asking, "Where are you, God?" That's a natural reaction to hardship, seen elsewhere in Scripture (Habakkuk 1:2–4). As in other places in Scripture, the eventual answer is always proven to be the same: God is there, and He is in control—there is hope (Psalm 22:1–2).

David immediately shifts to an expression of confidence in the Lord. The Bible defines faith as a trust based on experience. Hebrews chapter 11, for instance, notes that God's work in the lives of others is the basis of our trust in His promises (Hebrews 11:13–16). Even in what seems like a hopeless moment, David is confident that God is still in control (Psalm 22:3–5).

After expressing confidence, David then returns to describe the depths of his pain. This includes phrasing comparing the attacks of his enemies to those of dogs, lions, and wild oxen. The suffering one is depicted as emaciated, naked, humiliated, mocked, and battered. Despite skeptical claims, the most reliable manuscripts of these verses make it clear that this person is "pierced," further supporting this as a messianic prophecy (Psalm 22:6–21).

The last verses of the psalm shift to a hopeful tone. David anticipates that He will be delivered, one way or another, from this situation. He expects, at that time, to give God praise in a public setting. The imagery of these final verses is also prophetic. It looks ahead to the time when Christ will reign over the earth and all Israel will be reconciled to God (Psalm 22:22–31)

I say
There is a big controversy over whether Jesus went to hell or Not ------but I don't feel that Jesus went to the torment part of Hell to preach to people there -------I believe that Jesus went to the Upper region of hell called Abraham's to preach the Gospel to the Old Testament Saints who he then took to Heaven with him -------

So for me this says it and this make sense to me -----that Jesus world go and preach the Gospel of Grace to the dead believers in Paradise ---which is the upper region of hell -----so He could take them to their final resting place which was Heaven ---and remember ----He said to the Thief on the Cross --you will be with me in Paradise -------

and Again there is much controversy by Scholars over this issue ----so one has to make up their own mind as to what they want to believe -------

https://bible.org/question/where-did-christ-go-after-he-died-and-he-rose-dead
Where did Christ go after he died and before He rose from the
dead?

Some use Ephesians 4:7-10 to teach that Jesus went to hell or to Hades to release the prisoners held there and take them to heaven or into God’s presence. The idea is that before His death, all Old Testament believers were in Abraham’s bosom—the paradise part of Hades. Hades or Sheol was seen as the place of the dead with three areas or compartments: (1) the abyss or tartarus, the place of confinement for those demons who sinned in the days of Noah; (2) torments, the place of suffering for all unbelievers until the time of the resurrection of the unjust and the Great White Throne Judgment when they will be cast eternally into the lake of fire, and (3) a third place separated by a great gulf (see Luke 16), called Abraham’s Bosom, the place of blessing for believers. Because Christ had not yet died to pay the penalty for their sin, they were not yet able to go directly into the presence of God. After His death, however, the barrier was removed and He took them out of prison and into God’s presence.