Respect for others Bible based beliefs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

progressivenerdgirl

We should respect people and treat them well, but that is no reason to respect beliefs. Especially when the entire QUESTION is whether those beliefs are Biblical at all.

Yes, it is possible to be one of the saved while in error or ignorance on numerous points of theology and history. Likely, most of God's people from the start of the world until the millenium will be so. But incorrect theology leads toward poor choices and sin.

I know this may seem confusing to people who are charismatically or pietistically oriented, but I for one thank God that the Reformed tradition heavily emphasizes theology and philosophy of hermeneutics. It is just as important, and quite possibly more important, than whether one has or hasn't healed snakebites through prayer.

I'm not trying to caricature anyone, but I think it's right to say that Reformed traditions are heavily oriented toward theology and you just can't expect us not to take it rather more seriously than some Christians might be comfortable with. Likewise, Catholics are heavily ecclesiastical. These are objective features of their faith, whether or not you agree with them, and if you want to dialogue with us you just have to accept that.

All the above being said, if you run around telling people they're going to Hell your mother needs to slap you in the mouth.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
We should respect people and treat them well, but that is no reason to respect beliefs. Especially when the entire QUESTION is whether those beliefs are Biblical at all.

Yes, it is possible to be one of the saved while in error or ignorance on numerous points of theology and history. Likely, most of God's people from the start of the world until the millenium will be so. But incorrect theology leads toward poor choices and sin.

I know this may seem confusing to people who are charismatically or pietistically oriented, but I for one thank God that the Reformed tradition heavily emphasizes theology and philosophy of hermeneutics. It is just as important, and quite possibly more important, than whether one has or hasn't healed snakebites through prayer.

I'm not trying to caricature anyone, but I think it's right to say that Reformed traditions are heavily oriented toward theology and you just can't expect us not to take it rather more seriously than some Christians might be comfortable with. Likewise, Catholics are heavily ecclesiastical. These are objective features of their faith, whether or not you agree with them, and if you want to dialogue with us you just have to accept that.

All the above being said, if you run around telling people they're going to Hell your mother needs to slap you in the mouth.
careful progressivenerdgirl....
there's the "head knowledge" bludgeon waiting in the wings:D

intellect = antinomianism and stuff.
or summink.

A

Ariel82

that made me laugh :)

however how about the peps who say there is no Hell or only your sins get tossed in it?

A

Abiding

dem womn be yakin agin

Dec 5, 2012
To respect others beliefs is a double edge sword.

This may lead to believe that religion is a man made custom. This can make God a "Myth"

In the other hand not to respect is not to Love, so it goes against what Jesus teaches us.

God has shown us time and time again that it is all about a personal relationship with two or more. Typing is just not the same as being with you.