Rich people out of touch

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SpoonJuly

Depends on what they do with the money. Use it to help the less fortunate - an angel. Horde it and use it to make even more money - sinful.
I can agree with that to a point.
If you "horde " it to make more so you can help even more, where is the evil.
If a person is blessed with the opportunity to more money and uses a portion to help the needy and does not take that opportunity, would that not also be sin?

1 Tim. 5:8 tells us that one who will not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.
Israel had to always put some back for 6 years because on the seventh year they were not to plant or harvest.
Joseph, while serving the evil ruler of Egypt, horded grain to prepare for a coming famine
So if God blesses me with some wealth, I also have an obligation to plan for the care of my family.
Just how Christian would it be if I gave all my wealth away and allowed my family to suffer and then reached the point of needing help from others?

Dec 12, 2013
If a person is blessed with the opportunity to more money and uses a portion to help the needy and does not take that opportunity, would that not also be sin?

1 Tim. 5:8 tells us that one who will not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.
Israel had to always put some back for 6 years because on the seventh year they were not to plant or harvest.
Joseph, while serving the evil ruler of Egypt, horded grain to prepare for a coming famine
So if God blesses me with some wealth, I also have an obligation to plan for the care of my family.
Just how Christian would it be if I gave all my wealth away and allowed my family to suffer and then reached the point of needing help from others?
AND then made the Pharaoh rich when he sold the grain.......

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
I think if you have money then to show you dont love it, you give it away. It ought to be like a hot potato to pass it along to someone else.

The dog might get crumbs ok but the there are also rich people who spoil and pamper their dogs. Althougn there are probably the odd few that mistreat and abuse them as well. The only thing is when the wealthy treat their dogs better than people...

I dont know about the waltons I dont live in US. But its kinda like the way upper management treat their workers. There will always be the 'we're at the top' and youre below, upstairs, downstairs mentality.

Class distinctions might be abolished elswhere but theres always subtle ways in which the rich and priveliged just live in a world apart, totally oblivious to anyone who might be suffering or having a hard time making ends meet outside their world of comfort and ease.

I remember someone telling me that one time they forgot to bring their lunch and was out working and their boss was with them and it was lunchtime. So they stopped for a break and the worker of course had no lunch and there was nowhere nearby they could buy any. . And the boss was eating their own lunch but the coworker was going without. And their stomach was growling. But of course they didnt want to say anything or to beg, but the boss continued to eat his lunch and just not notice the co worker was not eating anything and hungry and probably couldnt work as hard for the rest of the afternoon cos they had no lunch.
I think you make a lot of generalizations about people. Why do you do that? Do you really think all rich people are the very same? Have the same low standards? Let's follow your scenerio where all "class" distinctions are abolished. Let's say that all of us make the same ammount of money. The money is the same for a ditch digger and the president of a major company. If you're digging a ditch and can't hope for more money - what will you covet then? My guess is you'll covet the boss's job that's sitting in the shade at the top of the ditch. And what will he covet? He'll want an inside in the air conditioning type job. On and on the lust and the envy for the better goes. And what is the thing that's taken the place of the same money for everyone this time? It's power. It has never changed.

You can consider yourself a victim. You can a find a generalized rich person to blame for whatever hardships you encounter, whatever rude and inconsiderate behavior you might critisize. You can harshly judge your percieved behavior of a rich person. You can consider them hell bound and out of touch. You can say all kinds of horrible and hateful things about "them". Them - the entity that lives somewhere else. That high and mighty castle you could never attain.....

and do you know where that entity lives? It lives in the thing that feeds it. Your own heart.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012

But that falls to intent of the heart. You save money intending to care for your family. Awesome.

But how many others save money just so they can use it to get more? Or worse, take money from others so they can have more?

You can identify them real easily.

THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE OFFENDED (AND OFFENSIVE) ANY TIME THE SUBJECT IS BROUGHT UP.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
But that falls to intent of the heart. You save money intending to care for your family. Awesome.

But how many others save money just so they can use it to get more? Or worse, take money from others so they can have more?

THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE OFFENDED (AND OFFENSIVE) ANY TIME THE SUBJECT IS BROUGHT UP.
Yea it seems some people are offended I raised this. I think Jesus understood the difference between wealthy people who were incredibly stingy and wealthy people who gave everything they had and pitied to those less fortunate. Like the Pharisees, the young rich ruler, the certain man vs Joseph of arimethea, zaccheus the repentant tax collector and the Good samaritan .

Those last people were not out of touch, but he as well as James rallied against those who were. james letter is all about rich people who were out of touch with the poor, telling people in rags to sit in a corner while favouring those dressed in the latest fashions. He found that the burden was on THEM to change their ways, not for the poor people to suddenly win lotto.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
was thinking on this lately as all the rich people seem to be buying mountains of toilet paper. Probably to sell it again at a higher price when it runs out.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
was thinking on this lately as all the rich people seem to be buying mountains of toilet paper. Probably to sell it again at a higher price when it runs out.
Those that do -- at some point in time between now and Judgment Day - they will surely regret having done that...

Mar 5, 2020
Something I noticed, which is only slightly starting to annoy me...wealthy people that dont have a clue how normal people live.

A few examples. Your treat, like going out or seeing a movie, is their cheap night.
Or they invite you somewhere far away and just assume you can get there.
They've never used public transport.
They make derogatory comments about homeless people but own three or more homes which stand empty half the time.
Constant talk about travel, consumer items and and property prices. Sorry I look at a house as roof over my head, not an investment or another addition to my property portfolio.

Maybe its true as Jesus showd in his parable of Lazarus and the rich man, theres a huge divide that cant be crossed. Sometimes it kinda makes you feel like you are a dog at the table of their conversations! The only relief is when they throw you some rich peoples crumbs.
Not all rich people are the same. I've found the one that is born into money can be a bit of a snob. Especially if they haven't ever had to work for anything they have.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

Sorry, but, just BULL....
I don't see anyone "offended" at this topic. I do see some people disagreeing with the broad generalization of a "class" of people. I disagree with it, as well.
I know some pretty wealthy folks. One couple used to OWN a rather large mortgage company in the DFW area. They are two of the most caring, giving people I know.
Does God want them to give away ALL their money? Of course not. They use their God-given blessings to bless others.

I could generalize the other direction, and say that all "poor" people are just a bunch of thieves and drug addicts... which is stupid. There are bad examples at both ends of the spectrum.

The people who invested in WalMart stock early on, and became wealthy were allowed to do that by God, so their wealth WAS given to them by God. The wise virgins waiting for the bridegroom invested in oil for their lamps, and gained the prize. The foolish ones that did NOT pay attention and invest in lamp oil lost the prize. Which ones were guided by God, do you think?

If not for the "wealthy" folks that own businesses and employ thousands of people, how would anyone make any money at all? Oh, the government would take care of them?

You need to abandon the class envy, and learn to be content with your lot in life. Constant bitterness about the "unfairness" of life will get you nowhere...... fast.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Much of my childhood was in neglect and poverty. Although I was raised in an area that was supposed dto have the best public school sysstem at the time my family fell through the cracks for many years in spite of having a working father.
In my adolescence I was going to school, public school, with students rich and middle class. One girl I knew had to wait for her chuffered limo to pickk kher up after school. It embarrassed her terribly. One v ery good frined of mine had a brand new car which he showed to me. I asked him hdo he could afford such a jewel, and hetold me his parents bught it for him Then he saiddd,they bought one for my brother too. Actually we bought cars fro each member of the family, this year we decided on white cars.

Tha tbowled me over because my friend was quite kind and thoughtful of all. I learned that many people born into wealth were very burdened with many responsibilities I simply did not need concern myself, and I had sorrow for them. I even felt sorrow for "the royal family" of the UK due to the many apparent responsibilities they took on, things we normal folks would never nned face.

Do not be overly concerned with those who sin and get ahead, but do not jude by appearances either.. God bless ll in Jesus, Yeshua, amen. Oh, these days the newly wealthy do not seem to care about responsibilities, again, not all of them. Pray for all men.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the more you have, the more you are responsible for, it is true.

I had a church lady who envied that I lived in a simple house cos she lived in a mansion and constantly worried about it. She couldnt go anywhere cos she had to always look after it and run it. If people didnt book to stay in it she wouldnt have any income. also her children didnt want to inherit it because it was just too massive.

when you have to clean 100s of square feet mopping and vacuuming a huge mansion just gets real old fast.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I am blessed to be retired having worked hard and having saved for it. Howecer even though I should be firm in my situation as per my savings, I am well aaware that all could be gone in a whisper, so I am not boasting of anything other than the Lord having blessed the work of my hands and I pray always He will.

I live in a modest bungalow in a rather large retirement area. When I see the more luxurious homes, even nearby, I think, I would not like to live in that place, it is just too big. Or maybe I would like living in that place but who wangts a swimming pool??

I see many people retiring biting off much more than they can ches. The upkeep and taxes are greater on luxury homes and as Lanolin has indicate, who wants to clean all of thast square footage o meterage?? I ssure do not.

The responsibilities of wealth require wealth to maintain them, and that is sooooo very unecessary in the lives of the children of God here in this age…. Mother Theresa knew this well. God rest her soul, amen...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Every time I read this thread title I wonder how many poor people are out of touch. Then I start wondering how many prefer to stay out of touch. If they learned about the rich people they are complaining about, it might ruin their complaining. Can't have that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I once got chatting to someone who turned out to be a trust fund kid, I only found out when he let slip that at age 16 his parents bought him an apartment.

Cos nobody I know was ever wealthy enough to afford their own apartment at that age. But what happened was, because he was so wealthy, he lived like the prodigal son, which meant he was far from God. He had a string of girlfriends who liked him cos he was rich which made him very popular but when he was broke they all left him.

the good news is after he spent everything on riotious living and actually came to his senses about his responsibilities and settled down he did come back to God.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Something I noticed, which is only slightly starting to annoy me...wealthy people that dont have a clue how normal people live.

A few examples. Your treat, like going out or seeing a movie, is their cheap night.
Or they invite you somewhere far away and just assume you can get there.
They've never used public transport.
They make derogatory comments about homeless people but own three or more homes which stand empty half the time.
Constant talk about travel, consumer items and and property prices. Sorry I look at a house as roof over my head, not an investment or another addition to my property portfolio.

Maybe its true as Jesus showd in his parable of Lazarus and the rich man, theres a huge divide that cant be crossed. Sometimes it kinda makes you feel like you are a dog at the table of their conversations! The only relief is when they throw you some rich peoples crumbs.

Of course they are, and it's always been that way. The world makes them think they're special. God is no respecter of persons.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
God has blessed us beyond our imagination. Our pantry is full. We have two empty bedrooms. We can eat out, or we can prepare our own meal. We can plant a garden, or go to the grocery store. We have three children, ten grandchildren, and eight great grandchildren. I can go on and on.

Our future is secure here on earth, but more importantly it is secure in heaven.

Our greatest blessing is the salvation provided us through Jesus. We look forward to the day that we will be together with Him.

I decided early in my life that I hated being poor. It took a hard work, many sacrifices along the way, and a lot of prayer along the way. We had a lot of setbacks. At our lowest point, we committed our future to God. We began to tithe 10% to our church. We got involved with the church education, children's ministry, and community ministry. Where there was a need we made sure it was met. Today we aren't physically able to do the work of our ministries, but we are financially able to do so, and we do.

I challenge all of you who are poor (or think that they are poor) to commit your future to God. Find a local church that has a working community ministry. Become a part of the church and it's ministry. Commit what you can financially (every single dollar helps) to the church. More importantly commit your time to the ministry. Before we committed our future to God, we looked for excuses not to contribute to the church. Today we look for ways to contribute.

One final thought. Don't be surprised when God tells you that you don't need that 2,500 square foot home. He knows that one day in your not so far away future, you'll only be able to care for a one bedroom house.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My challenge is more to the rich people to commit their future to God, a lot of them wont.
Its easier for poor people to do. so the Bible is true on that point Jesus saying rich men hardly enter heaven...harder than a camel going through the eye of a needle. Can be done if the camel squashes down but folks you cant take all your earthly treasures with you.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I think that it is time for every Christian who believes that he is poor, to take a long hard look at just what wealth that he has in Christ.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
we are all rich in Christ and our treasures are in Heaven which nobody can steal or destroy

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
no amount of anything can pay for my salvation. Thank you Jesus