Rightly Dividing The Word of Truth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 21, 2012
"rightly divide" = orthotomounta - from orthos meaning "perfectly right" or "perfectly straight" and Temno meaning "to cut" = literally "a perfectly right cutting"

ex: Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures. Some say this means Paul reasoned with them "outside of the scriptures", i.e. outside sources - but that is not what it say . . that would be wrongly dividing the scripture.

ex: Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God . . . I have heard some use this to say "There is no God" but that is not what it says . . . that would be wrongly dividing the scripture.

A person can prove anything from the Bible by isolating text or by changing it around.

L

Least

"rightly divide" = orthotomounta - from orthos meaning "perfectly right" or "perfectly straight" and Temno meaning "to cut" = literally "a perfectly right cutting"

ex: Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures. Some say this means Paul reasoned with them "outside of the scriptures", i.e. outside sources - but that is not what it say . . that would be wrongly dividing the scripture.

ex: Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God . . . I have heard some use this to say "There is no God" but that is not what it says . . . that would be wrongly dividing the scripture.

A person can prove anything from the Bible by isolating text or by changing it around.
peacefulbeliever;1248862Thank [/COLOR said:

That reminded me of a word study I began a while back, and am continuing to study about the foundational teachings and building upon the foundation. I'll share a few parts of what I have, and encourage anyone and everyone to study it out further as well.

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

I wanted to understand how that corner stone in the construction of a building works so I looked into it.
What I learned is that the chief corner stone has to be placed perfectly or all of the other stones built upon it will be skewed. The building will not be straight.

(That goes alone with the definition that you shared.) Very nice!

Jesus is that perfect Corner stone set in place before the foundation of the world. We have to line up with HIS TRUTH, HE doesn't have to line up with our take on HIS WORD.

Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

We also should consider what Jesus said about building on the rock or building on the sand and examine the instructions so that the stones, that are cut without hands will be established on the sure ROCK of our salvation. We need to take seriously what the scriptures say about being established and taking the whole counsel of God, because that is foundational..."built upon the prophets, the apostles, Christ Jesus being that chief corner stone."

1 Kings 6:7 And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.

Psalms 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
Psalms 18:31 For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?

Thank you for sharing peacefulbeliever

Mar 4, 2013
Be like the Bereans. Check everything you hear with the word of God. Ask the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you into the truth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Good thought. They didn't have the gospels, or the Epistles as we do, but they understood perfectly by searching the scriptures that they did have, and by them the truth was made manifest.

Oct 31, 2011
And we should never confuse the shadows, types, and anti-types of the OT with the substance that fulfilled these things, namely Jesus Christ. All books of the bible were written to a particular people in their epic of time, but we can gleam all the instructions, insights, truths and make applications for our own journey. Thus the bible was written to them, but for us.
I like this, you point out that the bible was written to them, but for us. They were to show us God. Before God created the Jewish race through Abraham, no group of people understood about God. However, I think we are to look at the shadows and types. Just as shadows in our world outlines objects without the details, so these shadows outline what Christ filled in the details of. A study of all the sacrifices required, then correlating them with the NT explanation with what Christ has done gives a deeper understanding of what Christ has done for us.

This is also true of studying the rituals God gave, and the feasts. The dietary laws was brought forward with instructions about such as what we should thing about. Don't eat animals who eat refuse became instructions about what to think about. The first four feasts predicted Christ and the Holy Spirit. The last three tell of the return of Christ.

Jan 19, 2013
I like this, you point out that the bible was written to them, but for us. They were to show us God. Before God created the Jewish race through Abraham, no group of people understood about God.
Noah received the transmission from Adam about God, which was then transmitted through Shem, 300 years before Abram, who understood what God had revealed to that point.

Knowledge of God was not extinct at the time of Abram.

Sep 4, 2012
Noah received the transmission from Adam about God, which was then transmitted through Shem, 300 years before Abram, who understood what God had revealed to that point.

Knowledge of God was not extinct at the time of Abram.
Both Shem and Noah were alive when Abram was alive. Shem lived quite a while after Abram was born. I personally believe that Shem taught Abram about the knowledge of GOD (if not Noah himself) when Abram moved to Haran, which wasn't that far from Ararat.