Rising sea levels push Torres Strait Islanders to take legal action against the Australian government

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
If ever we needed proof that the world is going insane, add this to the pile of evidence. According to the lawsuit, Australia alone is responsible for raising ocean levels around some islands. Australia contributes a minuscule amount of CO2 (assuming that human activity is the problem). If emissions went to zero tomorrow, the net effect would be the same. CO2 is a gas. It does not sit over the top of an island, warming the ocean just around it. Even if it did, the ocean does not rise in just one place.

I hope the case gets thrown out. The problem is world wide (if it is a CO2 problem). The solution does not lie in nations of 25 million people. It is is in the nations of hundreds of millions who generate far more greenhouse gases than minor players like Australia.

I believe that the climate is changing, and for the worse. But the problem is fundamentally the destruction of forests and mangrove swamps. These are God's CO2 control mechanisms, far more effective than man's methods of control. Australia could do much better in protecting forests. However, most of Australia is desert, which is not helpful for remedial action.

These people may as well sue God for all the good it will do. Many people would not know that Australia gives substantial aid to the region already. We could always do more, but we also have potential conflict with China on the horizon. Turning the South China Sea into a Chinese lake is not going to help our neighbours. So we are expanding our military dramatically. We have little choice. And our smaller neighbours will benefit, as they did when Australia contributed to the effort to drive out the Japanese.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
not sure the case presented is as actually as you describe it- regarding carbon dioxide.

But destruction of mangroves and forests is a real thing, and mangroves do protect estauries, provide habitat for wildlife and mitigate sea levels. Is australia responsible for that?

seems like some of those lawyers are ignoring the real issue. Is the coastline protected in Australia? That can only come about through legislation to make it so. Do they extend the same grace towards their neighbours?

in nz, we are dealing with delta virus, which came in via australia, but it appears it is actually nzs govt fault for not requiring testing upon entry for anyone coming back from australia. And it was nzs govt fault for opening up the trans tasman 'bubble' without those safeguards in place.

though here people not really suing the govt. Just peacefully protesting instead. People might claim other things though that the govt did that were destructive to peoples health and livelihoods eg warmongering, stealing land, not protecting natural resources etc.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
If ever we needed proof that the world is going insane, add this to the pile of evidence. According to the lawsuit, Australia alone is responsible for raising ocean levels around some islands. Australia contributes a minuscule amount of CO2 (assuming that human activity is the problem). If emissions went to zero tomorrow, the net effect would be the same. CO2 is a gas. It does not sit over the top of an island, warming the ocean just around it. Even if it did, the ocean does not rise in just one place.

I hope the case gets thrown out. The problem is world wide (if it is a CO2 problem). The solution does not lie in nations of 25 million people. It is is in the nations of hundreds of millions who generate far more greenhouse gases than minor players like Australia.

I believe that the climate is changing, and for the worse. But the problem is fundamentally the destruction of forests and mangrove swamps. These are God's CO2 control mechanisms, far more effective than man's methods of control. Australia could do much better in protecting forests. However, most of Australia is desert, which is not helpful for remedial action.

These people may as well sue God for all the good it will do. Many people would not know that Australia gives substantial aid to the region already. We could always do more, but we also have potential conflict with China on the horizon. Turning the South China Sea into a Chinese lake is not going to help our neighbours. So we are expanding our military dramatically. We have little choice. And our smaller neighbours will benefit, as they did when Australia contributed to the effort to drive out the Japanese.
Climate change is inevitable. We are coming out of the last ice age so of course, the world is getting hotter.

The alarmist say we are speeding it up and almost to a point of dangerous conditions.

Except what they fail to report is yes we see an increase bad weather but we have actually had years of good weather that came out of years of bad weather.

The heat will get hotter but the cold will also be more sustainable. Do a study on how many people die from the cold or cold related disasters. It is high, so in one way more heat will save lives.

Water levels are rising which we have seem them in the past rise and fall. I mean in my home state half of Georgia was once under water. We as humans adapt and move further inland. Or with our technology we build more land just like they did with all the dirt they removed from building the Twin Towers. Or even floating land like the Aztecs used for farming.

Nothing to alarm over. The only thing we should be doing is preparing our nations for the changes and not how to prevent it. Unfortunately, we are doing the opposite and trying to play God with nature. Some countries like China are trying to manipulate and weaponize the weather. Which manipulation has in some ways been successful in creating rain for drier climates.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I wonder if any considered the possibility that the islands are simply sinking.

I’ve heard many reports of sea levels rising, but the places along the sea coast that I have visited frequently haven’t changed.