Romans 13

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

leonardronaldo

Romans 13
1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but from God; the powers that be are ordained by God.

D

DesiredHaven

Here are a few verses showing the powers that be were given the same by Him

Romans 9:17
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh,
Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

Daniel 2:37 Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory.

Luke 21:12
But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

Luke 21:13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

John 19:10
Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?

John 19:11
Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

1 Ti 6:13
I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession

G

Galahad

Does the Indonesian government protect, have laws, enforcement that protects Christians in Indonesia from Muslims?

A great percentage of the population in the US is turning against Christianity.

Let us follow the instruction of the apostle Paul,

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1 Timothy 2:1-3.

L

leonardronaldo

Does the Indonesian government protect, have laws, enforcement that protects Christians in Indonesia from Muslims?

A great percentage of the population in the US is turning against Christianity.

Let us follow the instruction of the apostle Paul,

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1 Timothy 2:1-3.
Thank you for asking, brother. As an Indonesian citizen, everybody is given the basic human rights. The freedom to worship are guaranteed under our constitution. The persecution of Indonesian Christians, sadly, still happens even until I am writing this message.

In relation to Romans 13, I think Christians are to subject unto the government and the law of the land, as long it does not hinder your continuous walk and relationship with God. Indonesian constitution does not apply sharia law as its basis. The constitution does not even mention the word 'islam', 'sharia', or 'muslim' in it. That's something I continue to praise God for. The big question in the application of Romans 13 would be, in a country where sharia law is applied (strictly) or other harsh countries like North Korea, how should a Christian obey and subject unto his/her government? I believe he/she should either flee the country (when opportunities arise) or continue to pray and ask to God on the issue.

WebersHome

Dec 9, 2014
-
Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is
no power but from God; the powers that be are ordained by God.
There's more.

†. Titus 3:1 . . Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities

†. 1Pet 2:13-16 . . Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human
institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent
by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance
of foolish men.

Seeing as how we're talking about the law of the land-- viz: civil ordinances
--what might be some examples? Well; I should think that things like J
walking, illegal U-turns, feeding parking meters, drifting through stop signs
without coming to a complete halt, exceeding the speed limit, impeding
traffic by driving too slow and refusing to pull over, double parking, failure to
yield the right of way, unsafe lane changes, parking in a red zone, road
rage, horn blowing, littering, trespassing, fishing without a license, keeping
illegal size fish, keeping too many fish, feeding city-park ducks where it's
prohibited, setting off fireworks where they're prohibited, dumping radiator
coolant into a storm drain, ignoring California water restrictions, removing
a swallow's nest that has eggs in it, killing an endangered species, etc.

If there is one kind of person that God has always despised all the way
through the Bible it's a scofflaw. In point of fact, according to the covenant
that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God; scofflaws merit neither
forgiveness nor atonement; that's how serious it is.

†. Num 15:30-31 . .The person, be he citizen or stranger, who acts defiantly
reviles the Lord; that person shall be cut off from among his people.
Because he has spurned the word of the Lord and violated His
commandment, that person shall be cut off-- he bears his guilt.

==========================================

V

Viligant_Warrior

Thank you for asking, brother. As an Indonesian citizen, everybody is given the basic human rights. The freedom to worship are guaranteed under our constitution. The persecution of Indonesian Christians, sadly, still happens even until I am writing this message.
Is not the Aceh Province now under sharia law for all people, not just Mulsims? How quickly before it spreads to the rest of the nation?

L

leonardronaldo

Is not the Aceh Province now under sharia law for all people, not just Mulsims? How quickly before it spreads to the rest of the nation?
True, since 2009, Aceh Province has been governed by Sharia Law for all its citizen. But praise God, until now no other provinces has applied sharia law, at least not legally. Thank you for asking and please keep the Christians in Aceh in prayers.

C

Chrysolite

This is a tricky situation. But, we should render unto Caesar (higher powers) what is Caesar's and render to God what is God's.

In the end time, the beast will rule the world and will subject Christians to worship him. In this situation, we cannot and will not render worship to the beast because worship only belongs to God.

Also, we cannot serve two masters. Either we will hate the one and love the other. I think we should only submit to higher powers if it does not involve faith.

"Daniel 3:1-30: King Nebuchadnezzar orders a gold statue to be built and commands everyone in his kingdom to worship the statue. Daniel’s friends refuse to obey the king’s order and are thrown into a blazing furnace. They emerge from the furnace unharmed, and the king promotes them to higher positions in the province of Babylon."

Luke 12:4 “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

L

leonardronaldo

This is a tricky situation. But, we should render unto Caesar (higher powers) what is Caesar's and render to God what is God's.

In the end time, the beast will rule the world and will subject Christians to worship him. In this situation, we cannot and will not render worship to the beast because worship only belongs to God.

Also, we cannot serve two masters. Either we will hate the one and love the other. I think we should only submit to higher powers if it does not involve faith.

"Daniel 3:1-30: King Nebuchadnezzar orders a gold statue to be built and commands everyone in his kingdom to worship the statue. Daniel’s friends refuse to obey the king’s order and are thrown into a blazing furnace. They emerge from the furnace unharmed, and the king promotes them to higher positions in the province of Babylon."

Luke 12:4 “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
May the Holy Spirit gives discernment and knowledge to us.

Amen

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Romans 13
1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but from God; the powers that be are ordained by God.

Let every soul be subject unto the

higher powers = ἐξουσίαις ὑπερεχούσαις = superior authority (or jurisdiction).

This is NOT just about being subject to government (laws and regulations); but also speaks of parent/child and employer/employee relationships; and may speak against opposing a pastor in church business.

D

DesiredHaven

We also know orders were shown as obeyed and disobeyed as well.

Like In Mat 2:16 where Herod sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

That was fulfilling other scripture, and people had to be obtained to carry out that order to kill children, seems like they were in large supply.

Even though God's plans cannot be thwarted (and they missed it) Joseph having escaped with Mary and Jesus.

Similarly with the King of Egypt here where the midwives disobeyed the King

Exodus 1:15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives,
of which the name of the one
was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah:

Exodus 1:16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women,
and see
them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him:
but if it be
a daughter, then she shall live.

Exodus 1:17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them,
but saved the men children alive.

And God rewarded the midwives for that.

So there were times when brought before kings where they did not do that which was commanded them of them either.

Such as king Nebuchadnezzar for example in Dan 3:10 who made a decree that every man that shall hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, shall fall down and worship the golden image: and whoso falleth not down and worshippeth, that he should be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.

Well,
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego disobeyed that decree and did not do as the king ordered either.

Dan 3:13...
be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

Dan 3:14 Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the form of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: therefore he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.

Which turned out to make a believer out of him

Dan 3:28 Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed bethe God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.

Brought before kings and councils.

As they disregarded what was commanded them of the established religious order of Jerusalem if it was contrary to the Lords orders.

For example, (among those who might have commanded them not to preach)

These...

Acts 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name?

and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine,
and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other
apostles answered and said,

We ought to obey God rather than men.

There are definately different jurisdictions, it seemed like even Paul could find refuge in one providence against another being a Roman citizen which struck fear in the one providences soldiers when not knowing what citizen they had mistreated, like there were cities of refuge (in different ways) where it seems they could be used to the Lords advantage through how they are set up or something. IfI put that right? I dont know, not good with this stuff, but I just found it kind of fascinating how Paul was just brought through each place as he was.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
We also know orders were shown as obeyed and disobeyed as well.

Like In Mat 2:16 where Herod sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

That was fulfilling other scripture, and people had to be obtained to carry out that order to kill children, seems like they were in large supply.

Even though God's plans cannot be thwarted (and they missed it) Joseph having escaped with Mary and Jesus.

Similarly with the King of Egypt here where the midwives disobeyed the King

Exodus 1:15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives,
of which the name of the one
was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah:

Exodus 1:16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women,
and see
them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him:
but if it be
a daughter, then she shall live.

Exodus 1:17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them,
but saved the men children alive.

And God rewarded the midwives for that.

So there were times when brought before kings where they did not do that which was commanded them of them either.

Such as king Nebuchadnezzar for example in Dan 3:10 who made a decree that every man that shall hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, shall fall down and worship the golden image: and whoso falleth not down and worshippeth, that he should be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.

Well,
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego disobeyed that decree and did not do as the king ordered either.

Dan 3:13...
be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

Dan 3:14 Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the form of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: therefore he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.

Which turned out to make a believer out of him

Dan 3:28 Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed bethe God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.

Brought before kings and councils.

As they disregarded what was commanded them of the established religious order of Jerusalem if it was contrary to the Lords orders.

For example, (among those who might have commanded them not to preach)

These...

Acts 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name?

and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine,
and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other
apostles answered and said,

We ought to obey God rather than men.

There are definately different jurisdictions, it seemed like even Paul could find refuge in one providence against another being a Roman citizen which struck fear in the one providences soldiers when not knowing what citizen they had mistreated, like there were cities of refuge (in different ways) where it seems they could be used to the Lords advantage through how they are set up or something. IfI put that right? I dont know, not good with this stuff, but I just found it kind of fascinating how Paul was just brought through each place as he was.

Excellent point! We are to obey civil authorities unless or until they conflict with God's commandments or instructions.