Romans 2:4 The goodne$$ of God leads to repentance?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I too thought once "prosperity gospel" was an error, but closer Bible study shows it is not. One of many passages: "The blessing of the LORD makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it." (Prov 10:22)
BIG difference between ungodly riches (mammon) & spiritual riches.

Tell me, do you believe you're going to live in a mansion like Scrooge McDuck when you die?

Nov 26, 2021
India
And in Job 31, it explains why God was so pleased with Job in his former life. See what He says about him in Job 1. 31 first.

Job 31: Job, when rich, was generous:

"16 “Have I refused to help the poor,
or crushed the hopes of widows?
17 Have I been stingy with my food
and refused to share it with orphans?
18 No, from childhood I have cared for orphans like a father,
and all my life I have cared for widows.
19 Whenever I saw the homeless without clothes
and the needy with nothing to wear,
20 did they not praise me
for providing wool clothing to keep them warm?
21 “If I raised my hand against an orphan,
knowing the judges would take my side,
22 then let my shoulder be wrenched out of place!

Now, see what the Almighty Himself says about him in Job 1:

"Job and His Family
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God, and turned away from evil. 2 There were born to him seven sons and three daughters. 3 He had seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she-asses, and very many servants; so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east. 4 His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each on his day; and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually.

Attack on Job’s Character
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “Whence have you come?” Satan answered the Lord, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” 8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord, “Does Job fear God for nought? 10 Hast thou not put a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

And recall that even in the Gospel, the Lord Jesus Himself says: 29“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for My sake and for the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundredfold in the present age— houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, along with persecutions— and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.” (Mark 10:29-31)

See again, how the Lord clearly says, anyone who has renounced everything for Him, as for e.g. Missionaries are called to do, will receive even many earthly blessings, along with some persecutions, and then in the age to come, Eternal Life.

Nov 26, 2021
India
BIG difference between ungodly riches (mammon) & spiritual riches.

Tell me, do you believe you're going to live in a mansion like Scrooge McDuck when you die?
In another thread, someone posted this: did you read it? https://davidjeremiah.blog/what-kind-of-rewards-will-believers-receive-in-heaven/ It speaks of the 5 Crowns or Eternal Rewards Believers will have in Heaven.

As for Mansions, the Lord Himself said: “In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also” (John 14:1-3). Heaven will be wonderful, but its our duty to spread Gods Love on Earth too.

One Saint said: "Riches have eternal value when you use them to bless others". When we appreciate temporal riches are, in themselves - not speaking of their abuse or misuse here - a blessing, then we are impelled to want to bless others with them also, keeping only what we need for our selves. This is how the Early Christians lived and why they Evangelized successfully.

An Early Christian Bishop and Church Father Saint Basil wrote:

"Man should be like the earth and bear fruit; he should not let inanimate matter appear to surpass him. The earth bears crops for your benefit, not for its own, but when you give to the poor, you are bearing fruit which you will gather in for yourself, since the reward for good deeds goes to those who perform them. Give to a hungry man, and what you give becomes yours, and indeed it returns to you with interest. As the sower profits from wheat that falls onto the ground, so will you profit greatly in the world to come from the bread that you place before a hungry man.

Your husbandry must be the sowing of heavenly seed: Sow integrity for yourselves, says Scripture. You are going to leave your money behind you here whether you wish to or not. On the other hand, you will take with you to the Lord the honor that you have won through good works. In the presence of the universal judge, all the people will surround you, acclaim you as a public benefactor, and tell of your generosity and kindness." https://stmaryrockledge.org/from-a-sermon-on-charity-by-saint-basil-the-great-bishop/

God Bless.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
When Creflo Dollar says "profit" I know exactly what he means. He once said he wished he could line up non-tithers and "shoot them dead." He'd take them outside and bury them in a big hole then come back inside and have church and have the anointing.

Yeah, I mean... that's pretty damning, isn't it? I guess now I know why I've only heard bad stuff! "the tithe is the covenant" lol, you've got to be kidding me.

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022
When Creflo Dollar says "profit" I know exactly what he means. He once said he wished he could line up non-tithers and "shoot them dead." He'd take them outside and bury them in a big hole then come back inside and have church and have the anointing.

Creflo years ago stated God was gonna make him a millionare , I see nothing has changed and hes well on his way , wrong god i would say ,more the god of mammon .

P

persistent

Hey RA, the man who is critiquing Creflo seems to be correct about the verse, Romans 2:4 not talking about money and then he goes on to say that the opposite of what Creflo says on the video is what 'Jesus' 'taught'. Maybe so. Then, some teach that Pauls teaching is what the 'Gentiles' are to follow. This seems to 'confuse' the way 'wealth' is to be treated as Pauls teaching may 'possibly' seem to 'differ' from the teachings that Jesus presented to the Jews. And some people put great emphasis on this 'difference'.

My feeling is most people attending church don't pay close enough attention to what is 'written' in the Scriptures and the 'understanding' of the verses is easily confounded either intentionally or unintentionally by the way the person, Creflo, is understanding and presenting the material.

Early on in the video, the man critiquing Creflo's 'presentation', puts forth Creflo's position. i.e. Creflo claims, "God told me He is going to begin the stirrings of a manifestation of great wealth worldwide". This is not an exact quote but the gist of Creflo's presentation. And indeed, it seems that the only Scripture offered as support is Romans 2;4. Since the video is likely only a portion of the entire presentation we can't know if Creflo offered any other Scriptural support for his claims. I will assume not.

Hey RA, you then posted on this thread a video of Creflo presenting statements which reflect on his great disappointment with the people not tithing. Creflo does have a unique presentation. To many he possibly sounds more like a character from some movie.

So now in support of some of Creflo's statement on the video in post #1 regarding, "...........manifestation of great wealth........" I post again my previous post at #3 as this is a new development with potential for great wealth worldwide if realized. If this source of energy does come to fruition it is possible we will hear Creflo feting himself. Biblical or not.

If fusion is a reality the implications are immense. I have a book published in 1937, and the author was enthusiastic regarding the potentials for fission sourced energy. We fairly well understand the science of potential energy sources today and have hopefully, are not being misled again as the 1995 fusion fiasco.I don't think this is the case now as the news today is from the National Ignition Facility.

The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is a laser-based inertial confinement fusion (ICF) research device. It is located at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California. NIF's mission is to achieve fusion ignition with high energy gain.

Seems the world has prospered greatly during the last 100 years primarily due to reliance on fossil fuels. The link I post here indicates the possible reality of fusion providing a source of energy which, if realized may displace a great amount of fossil fuel sourced energy and increase the potential wealth of the world. History shows that harnessing energy sources and wealth growth go hand in hand. How this relates to Creflo Dollar and the critic on the video and the Bible is beyond me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=87436120dde345f2ae7b1ede4d65a06c