Saying the words that should not be said.. though people says them any ways...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2009
Been arguing about this with a lot of my friends.. When someone says the S word or the F word or the D word.. people at church or "godly" people gets a heart attack. While a I use those words often.. Does it make me worse person.. no... does it define me... no.. I argued with a few friends of mine who says using those words at any circumstance is bad and is a sin.. While I just explained my point that if suppose a very close friend did something amazing and I said THATS EFFING AWESOME.. it just means its awesomeeee.. its an expression.. So if the word didn't offend my friend then how can it be a sin? The word I use if it doesnt offend The creation y would it offend the creator?? So how can it be sin even to just say the word? That was my question and arguement.. Some people agreed with me.. some didn.. I kinda made up my mind now, on what to believe now.. but a few feed backs from u peeps would be nice and appreciated.. =D

J

jimmydiggs

Answer: It is definitely a sin to swear (curse, cuss, etc.). The Bible makes this abundantly clear. Ephesians 4:29 tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." First Peter 3:10 declares, "For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." James 3:9-12 summarizes the issue: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
Jesus explained that what comes out of our mouths is that which fills our hearts. Sooner or later, the evil in the heart comes out through the mouth in curses and swearing. But when our hearts are filled with the goodness of God, praise for Him and love for others will pour forth. Our speech will always indicate what is in our hearts. “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45).

Why is it a sin to cuss / swear / curse? Sin is a condition of the heart, the mind, and “the inner man” (Romans 7:22), which is manifested in our thoughts, actions and words. When we swear and curse, we are giving evidence of the polluting sin in our hearts that must be confessed and repented of. Thankfully, our great God is “faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). When this happens, we receive a new nature from God (2 Corinthians 5:17), our hearts are transformed, and our speech reflects the new nature God has created within us.
Quotations from below link.
Is it a sin to cuss / swear / curse? <-- click

Also, keep in mind. What do these words REALLY mean?

For example. When you reply to someone, "that's $@#!ing awesome!" what are you really sayin? "That's vulgar-sex-ing awesome!"

Also, take note of the definitions of Vulgar, which S and D fall under.

a : generally used, applied, or accepted b : understood in or having the ordinary sense <they reject the vulgar conception of miracle &#8212; W. R. Inge>
: vernacular <the vulgar name of a plant>

a : of or relating to the common people : plebeian b : generally current : public <the vulgar opinion of that time> c : of the usual, typical, or ordinary kind

a : lacking in cultivation, perception, or taste : coarse b : morally crude, undeveloped, or unregenerate : grossc : ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display : pretentious

a : offensive in language : earthyb : lewdly or profanely indecent

&#8212; vul·gar·ly adverb

Vulgar - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary <---- click

Also, if your mind is so made up. Why do you care for feedback anyway?

Mar 31, 2011
Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
You may be using the curse words to build others up, in your own eyes, but it's obviously not giving grace to those who hear you.Anyways, I say keep the peace. If it makes somebody angry, then you're not being very peaceful because you're encouraging someone to become angry. Though, not on purpose, I hope, you still ARE.

Romans 14:14-15

I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.
16So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
I do know what you mean, though, when you use that word but nevertheless, it IS curse word and IS disrespecting someone and God. Perhaps you should adapt some different words to express enthusiasm. I used to use those too and still find myself having the urge BUT now I say things like: "too cool," and "awesome" is and will always be my personal favorite because it denotes that it comes from God's amazing creation. Or instead of "f-ing", I say, "that is so amazingly awesome!!" get creative with it. your mind can do so much better than the usual, everyday, unoriginal: "f-ing."

Mar 31, 2011
I hope you change your mind to keep the peace, sir.

Oct 31, 2009
@jimmy dog : I made up my mind. But seeing what others think about it is a good way increasing knowledge. :)
@Dewba : Dont worry.. I Dont hurt people with my words. I rather make them smile.. =D

W

wolfywolfs

well you know when u replace a swear say like the f word you say duck instead of you know does that make it anybetter your still using a word to express angry just not the right one so saying duck in the context of being angry isnt that just as bad making that a curse word to me its just words nothing more

Oct 31, 2009
yeah... that was my point mate.. People actually knw what u tried to mean.. lol Out of the goodness of heart comes the words that u speak.. but people already knw that ur heart isnt that angelic.. lol.. I just see cuss words as an expression.. though I never use them hurt people..

Mar 31, 2011
Right. But if it bothers people, perhaps you should at least refrain from saying those words in front of them; as a courtesy.

Oct 31, 2009
yes... lol I dont swear infront of my mum or my dad.. or people I knw cant take it.. :) I use those word with my close friends.. Its outta luv.. hhahaha They enjoy it.

Mar 31, 2011
hey- i just read something that reminded me of those post.

Titus 1:15
To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure.

Oct 31, 2009
Amen. But read the next verse.. It explains more.. I may use cuss words and fool around among close friends.. But my behavior glorifies God.. So that verse doesnt imply my nature.. :) but thanks for sharing. It was a thought to ponder upon..

Mar 31, 2011
Amen. But read the next verse.. It explains more.. I may use cuss words and fool around among close friends.. But my behavior glorifies God.. So that verse doesnt imply my nature.. :) but thanks for sharing. It was a thought to ponder upon..
I was implying that you considered your curse words pure.
I mean, they didn't imply their actual, evil meaning.
God only knows whats in your heart, though.
It was just a verse that reminded me of this thread.