Scotland Referendum

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jennymae

If you are referring to the American Civil War that parable would be:

There once was an ungodly and adulterous woman that cheated on her righteous husband. The righteous husband went forth and slew her filthy adulterous lover and dashed the heads of the children of her whoredom against the wall. The man valiantly took back his wife, forgave her, and restored her to her rightful position. And the happy man sang with joy "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, God's truth goes marching on."
Well, while we're at it...

There once was a Godly and caring lady living her life peacefully and disturbed by nobody. Her husband took care of the family and was an excellent bread winner. He said Grace before every meal. Their life was good.

One night a man came to the house. He went up to the house and told the husband that he wanted his wife. Her husband declined and gave the stranger a black eye. The man got so angry that his top hat fell off. The next day he came back with his no good brothers, and when singing Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, they forced their way into the Godly home and they got what they came for. Never no more was Grace heard again in that house.

M

MadParrotWoman

The Scots are not subsidized by the English, we subsidize 'each other' with 'everyone's' tax money, the Scots, English, Welsh, Irish, all pay our taxes towards the same British government, which means we subsidize each other, we are not exclusively subsidized by the English, you don't own us, we're all part of the uk. Why are you getting angry? How do you think this whole thread makes me feel as a Scottish person? I am hit with negative comment after negative comment, despite already feeling awful about not getting a win in the referendum.. it's all about yourselves venting your anger at ME? Why? What have I done? Apart from wanting Independance for MY country? Which frankly is no one else's business? How about showing some support for what was supposed to be a happy event in a Scottish person's life?
As you get perks we don't and Scotland is only (estimate) 1/3 the size of England then I call that a subsidy. I really don't care if you want your independence or not - although it was foolishness to think you could go it alone for reasons I've already listed(even the majority of Scots could see it) but I'm sick of hearing hard-luck stories about Scotland. We are all dictated to by Westminster.

I've said my last word on this matter, it's all done and dusted.

Petals

Nov 29, 2012
I really don't care if you want your independence or not - although it was foolishness to think you could go it alone for reasons I've already listed(even the majority of Scots could see it)
Wow, if you don't care about us wanting our independence, it seems you just want to use this thread to vent your anger at what is supposed to be a joyous occasion for us. Whatever happened to love thy neighbour? If you guys were going for independence, I wouldn't come on a thread & completely slag you, make you lose all hope & make you feel awful, I thought this was supposed to be a Christian site? Nobody that voted Yes thinks it'll be a utopia, we know we have lots of work to do & it's a risk we're willing to take to try & change things & with negative comments like yours, you wonder why we want to get away from the uk?

Petals

Nov 29, 2012
As you get perks we don't and Scotland is only (estimate) 1/3 the size of England then I call that a subsidy. I really don't care if you want your independence or not - although it was foolishness to think you could go it alone for reasons I've already listed(even the majority of Scots could see it) but I'm sick of hearing hard-luck stories about Scotland. We are all dictated to by Westminster.

I've said my last word on this matter, it's all done and dusted.
If you wanna go on about subsidizing, we subsidize you with our oil revenue.. why do you think Westminster didn't want us to leave the union? Cos we have so much oil up here. Before the referendum, to stop us from voting to leave the union, they were telling us that our oil wouldn't last us.. but straight after the referendum.. we are suddenly being told we have 120 years of oil left.. plus the tons of oil that Clair oil field produces too.

blondensmart

Room Moderator
Staff member
Jan 19, 2014
I have to be honest. This is getting on my last nerve!

From my understanding, people in England pay around 8 pound for prescriptions. And you're upset about that? Are you kidding me?!?!

I have terrible asthma and need a medication called Advair. So why don't I take it? Because it is $170 a MONTH even though I have top notch insurance. Without insurance? It's $371.69.

I've had my say. Sorry - you're not the only one frustrated by the comments on this thread.

M

MadParrotWoman

As I've already stated quite plainly, I have no wish to further this conversation, tbh I'm sick of arguing about it. END OF!

Petals

Nov 29, 2012
No one is arguing, just stating a fact that Scottish North Sea oil generates far more tax revenue than what Scotland receives back in public spending.. so these supposed "perks" we get is nothing compared to how much the oil is worth... I am stating this Scots are always accused of being subsidized by the English.. well I don't agree, our oil generates far more money than what we get back from it.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
I have to be honest. This is getting on my last nerve!

From my understanding, people in England pay around 8 pound for prescriptions. And you're upset about that? Are you kidding me?!?!

I have terrible asthma and need a medication called Advair. So why don't I take it? Because it is $170 a MONTH even though I have top notch insurance. Without insurance? It's $371.69.

I've had my say. Sorry - you're not the only one frustrated by the comments on this thread.

You also have to take into account that the British pay National Insurance Tax on wages earned which starts at 12%, so most people in full time work will be paying at least £1000 a year to help pay for the National Health Service.

blondensmart

Room Moderator
Staff member
Jan 19, 2014
I pay, out of my pocket, $450 a month for insurance which DOES NOT pay for the prescription I need (see earlier post). That means I pay $5,000 a year for insurance that doesn't allow me to get $8 prescriptions. Trying to put this into perspective for you.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
You also have to take into account that the British pay National Insurance Tax on wages earned which starts at 12%, so most people in full time work will be paying at least £1000 a year to help pay for the National Health Service.
I had occasion to use the National Health when I was in Manchester for over 2 years. As I recall: The doctor's office was like an old Victorian house, & the exam table some sofa, I think a bit dilapidated. They were still making home visits for children when I was there, to my amazement.

I believe that the doctors were paid a salary & not paid by procedure. And the psychology of that is that if a doctor is not paid by procedure, then he is reluctant to do procedures. If paid by procedure, then they are eager to do them.

I had a sore throat (I made the mistake of sending my 4 year old to public school). The national health gave me a spray for my throat that surely relieved the soreness. I don't know the like in the USA.