Scripture related advice please! Thank You

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 4, 2013
I apologize if this is not an appropriate thread room to post this I was unsure where it would fit in. But as I walk with Jesus (I am in my very first days) I have started to reevaluate all of my hobbies and interests. Such as likes and favorite genres in media, music, and books. I would like help understanding if my attraction to fantasy books such as the Game Of Thrones and many other such genres through my childhood that contain much violence and false Gods within them mean that I have the enjoyment of murder in my heart and should seek forgiveness for my pleasure in mentally "riding along" with those sins. I know just as others who are fans that there is no real death in on the T.V. or movie screen, but it represents a very real thing. So in order to be devote must I ask for God to help change my heart when it comes to what I find pleasurable in entertainment? I am more of a fan of wit and scenery in all honesty, and the attractions of imaging existing in different times and places. But the thrills of the conflict still appeal to me in the overall interaction. Any one that knows of any scripture that may make it more clear if my "being a fan" of these things is bringing my mind and heart to a place Jesus would not want me to go would be helpful. Thank you to all who offer advice.

A

Ariel82

I have found its not what you see or watch that matter as much as HOW YOU react to what you are seeing.

These are the verses that come to my mind when thinking and praying about your words:

1. 1 Corinthians 6:12
    [ Glorify God in Body and Spirit ] All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
  2. 1 Corinthians 10:23
    [ All to the Glory of God ] All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Michael, I recommend that you ask Jesus to fill you with the power of the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13), and then ask Him to show you what HE wants you to change, and even what He wants you to repent from having done :). Some of us need to stay farther away from certain things if we have a tendency toward them, and He can show you and give you peace in your heart about what He wants you to do. Welcome to the family of God, BTW :). -Jill

Jan 4, 2013
Thank you both. I know in my heart that the violence does not take any roots in my mind or heart, and the thought of actually living in situations where I would have to take a life or be killed is not pleasant to me. And from Ariel82's post I think then that I can take the good parts from it and leave the bad. (Because I hope I never go crazy and start walking around town with a sword or anything) But thank you both again. I wasn't looking for justification and that's not what I've found from your advice :) God Bless and thank you for the welcome Jill!

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
You're welcome, Michael :).

Oct 22, 2011
Would our Lord and Saviour be watching or partaking in the things you have described?
You have become a new man in Christ. Why are you putting on the old man?
Consider the following verses….
2Co 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, heis a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

In Christ, 1Christianwarrior316

A

Ariel82

Would our Lord and Saviour be watching or partaking in the things you have described?
Matthew 9:11-13

New King James Version (NKJV)

11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’[a] For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”[b]

He would if He used it as an opportunity to reflect God's love to those you watch the movies with. sometimes it helps to understand what appeals to others to realize how walking with the Holy Spirit truly changes your inward heart.

Oct 22, 2011
He would if He used it as an opportunity to reflect God's love to those you watch the movies with. sometimes it helps to understand what appeals to others to realize how walking with the Holy Spirit truly changes your inward heart.
Sister I disagree with you. For these things that are spoken of by the OP in my opinion are pure evil, created by ungodly men for an ungodly world.

Yes is true that Christ did eat with publicans and sinners, for He did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance, Matt 9:13, Mar 2:17, Luk 5:32. For if these things are pure evil as I believe, then you are saying that our Lord and Saviour would be a partaker of other men’s sins. Be careful what you say sister!

Now consider what scripture says…
1Ti 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

In Christ, 1Christianwarrior316

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
As far as reading goes...
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
(Rom 12:2)

Read God's Word. It is the best cleaning and renewal agent available. As you read it the light will overcome the darkness.

Jan 4, 2013
You all have given me a lot to think on. Until I realized I should pray on it and trust in the Lord. So I will.

P

pastel1

Yes these things seem t o give you time to relax the shows you like. But really the bible calls us to watchfullness and carefullness. To be on our guard at all time.
Comes down to our choices. ANd the victory over the flesh. he that sows to the flesh reaps the flesh. Our flesh is sensual the more time we give it the moreand we feed its wants and neediness. The more it robs us. He who sows to the spirit sows to the spirit. A able worker in the Lord meditates on God.
I believe God even wants our leisurely time. Amen... I'm not saying it's not a battle for those of us who watch tv. But we do have a choice in the things we watch and choose to relax or meditate upon. It's not easy, and we do need to love ourselves to love others. But truely loving ourselves is feeding on Gods words so we can be an able worker of his love. in body, mind and spirit.

Phillippians 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.