Secure Searching and Email

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AgeofKnowledge

Two best I've found are startpage.com for browing and startmail.com for email. Started by Christians who wanted to make secure anonymous browsing and secure email available. I'm using them now instead of Google which scans every email and compiles profiles on searching for each individual ip.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Two best I've found are startpage.com for browing and startmail.com for email. Started by Christians who wanted to make secure anonymous browsing and secure email available. I'm using them now instead of Google which scans every email and compiles profiles on searching for each individual ip.
I use Duckduckgo to search and I love it. It doesn't track you or your searches at all. I don't really care for StartPage.. My email is Outlook.com.. I hate Google..lol.. :)

A

AgeofKnowledge

Yes but startpage is the default page for Tor ;) AND both startpage and startmail were started by Dr. Katherine Albrecht Home | Katherine Albrecht who is an outspoken Christian on eschatology and personal privacy :).

Supporting a Christian effort leads to more Christian efforts. Cause and effect.

Startpage uses Google as the search provider but does so anonymously without saving the users' IP addresses or giving any personal user information to Google's servers. Startmail is so encrypted it would take the government 45 years to crack a single email and Startmail retains zero emails meaning after they are sent or received they are gone forever. No subpoena or hacker has access to your email history.

Peace.

I use Duckduckgo to search and I love it. It doesn't track you or your searches at all. I don't really care for StartPage.. My email is Outlook.com.. I hate Google..lol.. :)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Yes but startpage is the default page for Tor ;) AND both startpage and startmail were started by Dr. Katherine Albrecht Home | Katherine Albrecht who is an outspoken Christian on eschatology and personal privacy :).

Supporting a Christian effort leads to more Christian efforts. Cause and effect.

Startpage uses Google as the search provider but does so anonymously without saving the users' IP addresses or giving any personal user information to Google's servers. Startmail is so encrypted it would take the government 45 years to crack a single email and Startmail retains zero emails meaning after they are sent or received they are gone forever. No subpoena or hacker has access to your email history.

Peace.
1.) I have no idea what Tor is, and no, I don't want to know..

2.) I rarely ever email anyone so I don't care if the NSA hacks my account.

3.) DuckDuckGo is also encrypted, doesn't track me, AND gives the most relevant search results at the top of the page.

4.) i also use a free proxy to hide my actual IP when I surf the 'net.

5.) Google sucks!! They track you..

:)

A

AgeofKnowledge

1) Tor is presently the MOST secure way for the average user to use the Net.

2) Many of us do care about email privacy even if you do not.

3) DuckDuckGo's privacy is illusory while Startpage's is not illusory. Additionally DuckDuckGo only uses the inferior SSL while Startpage uses the latest encryption standard PFS and TSL. Startpage gives the most relevant search results at the top of the page.

4) Good. A secure proxy is always desirable. However, the free ones inject ads and sometimes are run by criminals who are hacking your personal information and unencrypted proxy's put all of your communications at risk.

5) Indeed. They track you everywhere you browse and they search every email you send from Google Mail for keywords to build an advertising profile about you which they sell to marketers who then target you for advertising. Plus, they work with the government and will turn over any and all information they have on you (and they retain all of it) if they get a court order to do so.

If you're using a secure proxy with SSL, an SSL encrypted email client, and DuckDuckGo you're security is good enough for what you're doing ladybug; however, it doesn't hold a candle to using Startpage and Startmail with or without a good encrypted proxy. Also, there's the issue of not supporting Christian companies looking to protect personal privacy worldwide. Just saying...

1.) I have no idea what Tor is, and no, I don't want to know..

2.) I rarely ever email anyone so I don't care if the NSA hacks my account.

3.) DuckDuckGo is also encrypted, doesn't track me, AND gives the most relevant search results at the top of the page.

4.) i also use a free proxy to hide my actual IP when I surf the 'net.

5.) Google sucks!! They track you..

:)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't use Google, I hate it..and my email is not through Google. On my browsers I use Ghostery and History on/off..they work very well..I have malware bytes, super anti-spyware, and spyware blaster, and Ccleaner on my computer. Basically i come here and on youtube and that's it..

A

AgeofKnowledge

Well, I'm kind of conflicted about Ghostery actually. Chip magazine recommends you don't use it but the truth is that it can be a benefit in stopping trackers if used without the Ghostrank feature turned on.

your post about Ghostery just disappeared..i was gonna respond to it.. :( lol

A

AgeofKnowledge

Ok, you got me. Use Ghostery without Ghostrank. Nice find ladybug.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Yep, like ladybug I use Duck Duck Go as my search engine.
Hushmail.com is a secure email service that offers a free package, as long as you sign in regularly over a three week period. If you go past the three week window without signing on the free account freezes. You can reactivate it through subscription.
They also allow free accounts to encrypt their emails that are sent out.

Wanted to add: I use Ghostery without Ghostrank. NoScript is another plus if you have a Firefox browser.
And of course Adblock plus that can be used on most any browser helps stop annoying ad's and poppers.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Well, I'm kind of conflicted about Ghostery actually. Chip magazine recommends you don't use it but the truth is that it can be a benefit in stopping trackers if used without the Ghostrank feature turned on.
Ok, you got me. Use Ghostery without Ghostrank. Nice find ladybug.
I DO use it without enabling the Ghostrank..I'm not stupid..lol..and you're welcome. :eek:

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I use Firefox ONLY for doing my Pixlr photo editor and getting pictures from google images. I use Opera for everything else.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Free VPN is SO slow. Even the big ones like Cyber Ghost slow you down after 15 minutes of being online without a subscription something the speed testers always seem to miss in their online reviews. The consistency and speed come with the subscription.

Assuming the end user has a super fast connection, many things factor into how fast a VPN itself is from the proximity of servers, to the end user, to the IP types and protocols being used, to the level and type of encryption.

Then there's the issue of the trustworthiness of the VPN provider itself that includes issues of how hacker-proof are they, where are they domiciled and what laws do they fall under, what level of integrity do the owners and employees have, their policy to government requests for intrusion and wiretapping, etc...

No VPN is 100% secure. But, some VPNs do a good job of protecting end users nonetheless. Meaning, if acceptable speed levels can be realized and maintained with high security and anonymity by contracting with a VPN provider that aggressively protects your privacy and has internal integrity; then you have a viable option.

What VPNs do you think does this the best where you live (I say where you live because local servers are an important faucet in realizing good speeds with VPNs)?