Self harm and suicide

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lovely1234

What does the bible day about cutting of the flesh ? Killing of oneself

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
One sure example I know of is Judas. Also in the OT those who were hanged were considered "accursed". I would have to look that up but it's in Deut.

What that means as far as what happens after, I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound good. There were demonically possessed examples of people who were harming themselves. i.e throwing themselves in fire, cutting themselves, etc.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Here are some verses for you.

Deuteronomy 21:23
His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Not necessarily abotu suicide, but many suicides, especially before guns and drugs, were carried out in this fashion.

Matthew 27:5
And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Judas of course not being able to bear the guilt of turning the Messiah over tot he Jews hung himself.

Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Proverbs 8:36
But he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death.”

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
One way to look at is, when we die. what has covered our sins already?

Contrary to what some believe we all still sin..and therefore that's why we repent.. however, if you were to die suddenly would you have repented of all sins... ?

A

Ariel82

the man possessed by the legion of demons used to cut himself......

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Your body is supposed to be a temple for the Holy Spirit. You should protect and cherish it, not injure or destroy it.

D

danschance

I almost decided to kill myself. It was a beautiful war srping day as I was walking to my work. The sun felt good and I could hear birds chirping and I felt peaceful. My next thought was,: "Today is the day I am going to kill myself". I started to plan out the details. I decided to borrow a 45 caliber pistol and do it in a garage because I knew it would make a huge mess. I decided it would be a good idea to warn people that I had killed myself so they wouldn't be shocked to just find a bloody body. Then I became afraid. I had been depressed for a long time but now I knew I was getting real close to doing it.

I decided to see a psychologist that day and that was the best decision I ever made in my life as I am still alive. Had I off'd myself, I never would've known the joy of marriage and raising five kids and all those birthday parties graduation parties. I never would of known my wife or the pleasure of dating her or the day I got down on one knee and asked her to grow old, dumpy and grey with me. I would never remember the day we bought or first home. I would've never been in the delivery room with all my kids as they were born. I would never of been in boy scouts with my sons or gone to summer camp with them. I would of never walked my daughter down the aisle and given her to her husband. I would've missed out on so much.

I am so glad I survived it as I no longer have depression. Choosing hope over despair is always a good choice. The problem for you is you can't see any hope, it's just a long dark tunnel but eventually the night does turn into sunrise and daybreak.

Personally, I believe that for most people who kill themselves, they forfeit salvation and go to hell because they die in sin without trusting God. They believe they are ending their problems only to find out that hell is far worse.

Here is a lady who tells what happened at age 15.

[video=youtube;SwODi6DoEl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwODi6DoEl4[/video]

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Blood is life, and by cutting yourself and bleeding you are wasting life. Perhaps that's why those who feel their lives are wasted cut themselves (?). Either way it really doesn't provide any answers. Just another problem to deal with.

I tried suicide at 17, it obviously didn't take :). But since then, hardly a day has gone by that I haven't wished to be off this planet. Before it was because life was painful and I'd had enough, after was because God answered that plea by showing me what was to come, and given the choice, I'd rather be there now. But I'm still here, so that must mean God still has stuff for me to do. And no matter how bad the cesspool of your life is, He may still yet have good stuff to come for you.

Lord God, I come before you in the Name of Jesus, I praise your loving kindness, and I ask that you show Lovely1234 that lovingkindness that she has never seen and seeks so desperately. In Jesus name I pray angels surround her, minister and guide her to a place of safety, and show her the way out of her prison. May the holy Spirit fill, cover, and guide her, and bring her to freedom. I bind and silence the demons that afflict her, I bind and silence those who afflict those who afflict her, and I command they leave her and afflict her no more. In Jesus Name I pray.

A

AngelCakes

What does the bible day about cutting of the flesh ? Killing of oneself
if your talking about cutting the flesh to release an emotion, then i don't know that the bible says anything about it
but there are definitely alternatives for dealing with your emotions

A

Adinah

One sure example I know of is Judas. Also in the OT those who were hanged were considered "accursed". I would have to look that up but it's in Deut.

What that means as far as what happens after, I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound good. There were demonically possessed examples of people who were harming themselves. i.e throwing themselves in fire, cutting themselves, etc.
Well, people commit suicide in despair. To think God would send them into eternal torment because they did this I believe is dead wrong.

A

Adinah

I almost decided to kill myself. It was a beautiful war srping day as I was walking to my work. The sun felt good and I could hear birds chirping and I felt peaceful. My next thought was,: "Today is the day I am going to kill myself". I started to plan out the details. I decided to borrow a 45 caliber pistol and do it in a garage because I knew it would make a huge mess. I decided it would be a good idea to warn people that I had killed myself so they wouldn't be shocked to just find a bloody body. Then I became afraid. I had been depressed for a long time but now I knew I was getting real close to doing it.

I decided to see a psychologist that day and that was the best decision I ever made in my life as I am still alive. Had I off'd myself, I never would've known the joy of marriage and raising five kids and all those birthday parties graduation parties. I never would of known my wife or the pleasure of dating her or the day I got down on one knee and asked her to grow old, dumpy and grey with me. I would never remember the day we bought or first home. I would've never been in the delivery room with all my kids as they were born. I would never of been in boy scouts with my sons or gone to summer camp with them. I would of never walked my daughter down the aisle and given her to her husband. I would've missed out on so much.

I am so glad I survived it as I no longer have depression. Choosing hope over despair is always a good choice. The problem for you is you can't see any hope, it's just a long dark tunnel but eventually the night does turn into sunrise and daybreak.

Personally, I believe that for most people who kill themselves, they forfeit salvation and go to hell because they die in sin without trusting God. They believe they are ending their problems only to find out that hell is far worse.

Here is a lady who tells what happened at age 15.

[video=youtube;SwODi6DoEl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwODi6DoEl4[/video]
Well I just don't believe this. To believe a God who created all things would send a despairing person to hell is crazy. I wouldn't do that, and I'm a sinful often unloving human being. God is a being beyond our comprehension. We can't even imagine His compassion for creation. Certainly He wants us to live. That's the point.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Well, people commit suicide in despair. To think God would send them into eternal torment because they did this I believe is dead wrong.
Hi Adinah. I didn't say they would go to hell. I said I didn't know. I would think some, maybe even most would though, possibly even all. Maybe not all, but I have no idea. I don't believe in the Catholic decree about this. I simply don't know.

What I do know is, those who commit suicide are in direct disobedience of God and suicide would be a sign of non-repentance or more likely, a sign of demonic influence on the person. I don't think a believer would even be capable of committing suicide unless under heavy demonic influence, but again, I am just speculating :p

I'm not condemning anyone. I have been hospitalized several times for drug overdose and eventually admitted to a crisis rehab center, so I am no stranger to self-destructive behavior or intentional self-harm.

john832

May 31, 2013
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Wouldn't this include the self?