Sermon- John Piper: Willing God's will

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
Sorry, not a fan of John Piper after watching his reaction to a question about submission in an abusive marriage. He started off by laughing (o_O), said a lot of ignorant/insensitive/unrelated stuff, and began wrapping up by saying, "she [abuse victim] endures being smacked around for a night (O.O) before going to her church for help" (no police report??).

If you can't see the glut of problems with the above statement, then only the Lord can help you at this point. FOUR YEARS LATER, he CLARIFIED—not APOLOGIZED—his statement; but it was rubbish. The short version is that he puts a woman's duty of submission as a higher priority than not getting abused. The crux of any advice to abuse victims is, "Get out now!" followed by, "It's not your fault." Any advice doesn't agree with that is denying the abuse victim's full personhood and civil right of autonomy. And if John Piper doesn't view me as fully human, then I don't give a rat's rear end about anything else he would try to say to me.

Last edited:
B

blueorchidjd

John Piper is just a mere human like you or I,
I wouldn't take it too personally.
I wouldn't hold any pastor to a standard of perfection, especially with the nature that resides in us.
I will say though that I still enjoy his messages. I find an honest, loving, and eager message.
Thank you for your imput :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
John Piper is just a mere human like you or I,
I wouldn't take it too personally.
I wish I could still think like that. The truth is that spousal abuse is a worse problem in the conservative churches than in the world around them. They are the perfect breeding ground for it with the over-emphasis of submission and the lack of action. The few women who go to their pastors for help are mostly told to go home, pray, and submit to the monster they married.

As a rule, I give people the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes a person's true nature comes seeping out. His response indicates his prioritization of submission and his indifference to abuse. Those aren't mere mistakes or slips of the tongue; they are evidence of spiritual rot. No, it's not blatant. It's incredibly precise, so subtle that most of the world either dismisses it as a quirk or doesn't even see it at all. If you see a danger ahead, you can avoid it. But if it's looks like it's safe, you'll parade that Trojan horse right through the middle of town. [I know that's the opposite of subtle but my metaphors fail me after 1 am]

B

blueorchidjd

Okay....
Please go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Sorry, not a fan of John Piper after watching his reaction to a question about submission in an abusive marriage. He started off by laughing (o_O), said a lot of ignorant/insensitive/unrelated stuff, and began wrapping up by saying, "she [abuse victim] endures being smacked around for a night (O.O) before going to her church for help" (no police report??).

If you can't see the glut of problems with the above statement, then only the Lord can help you at this point. FOUR YEARS LATER, he CLARIFIED—not APOLOGIZED—his statement; but it was rubbish. The short version is that he puts a woman's duty of submission as a higher priority than not getting abused. The crux of any advice to abuse victims is, "Get out now!" followed by, "It's not your fault." Any advice doesn't agree with that is denying the abuse victim's full personhood and civil right of autonomy. And if John Piper doesn't view me as fully human, then I don't give a rat's rear end about anything else he would try to say to me.
I personally love John Piper...

Your quote against John Piper was out of context...

[video=youtube;3OkUPc2NLrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkUPc2NLrM[/video]

Granted I do see where/how his advice can be insulting... But show me how it is biblically wrong?

B

blueorchidjd

John Piper is an animate man of God it's written all over his face.

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
J

jason75

If you like piper you may like paul washer and tim conway.