Seven big myths about top-performing school systems

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

skipp

Mar 6, 2014
Interesting article that makes some good points. With number 1 I would say that it's not poverty that's the problem as much as it is the culture of the community that students come from. Poor students in Shanghai tend to come from families that place a large emphasis on education and the importance of working hard and behaving in class. I may step on some toes here but in the United States that's not really the case for a lot of poor communities. These communities tend to be highly negative and dysfunctional and bogged down in drugs and other self destructive behavior. As a result the students tend to have far more emotional and behavior problems and haven't really been taught the importance of education or self control. That's why low income schools in the US tend to have more chaos, dysfunction and violence. That would account for the wide disparity in scores between low income and upper income students in America.

A

AgeofKnowledge

U.S. fell from number one in the world for reading, math, and science to about forty-sixth place last time I checked despite spending more than twice as much per student in real dollars as when the U.S. was in first place.

Interestingly, the liberal takeover of public education and forced implementation of their ideologies correlates exactly with the fall.