Should Christians boycott companies?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Should Christians boycott?

• No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
V

VioletReigns

I buy mostly organic foods. I want to avoid the dangerous chemicals they spray on produce, the toxins they feed to & inject into cattle, and the poisons they add to most package products. So I guess you could say I boycott those harmful foods.

Truthfully, you gotta do what's on your heart to do. I agree with what Sister Ember said, PRAY about it. But don't try to put a guilt trip on other people who don't think boycotting is the answer. If you do, they might "boycott" you with the ignore button. :rolleyes:

boycott.gif

A

atwhatcost

Probably prayer more; boycott less

Don't think anyone would notice and if they did, just one more sign Christians are kookoo

Bound to start an arguement now

disclaimer: boycotting houses of ill repute and train stations where the trains are always late excepted
They would notice, if we also wrote to them to tell them why. Companies really care about negative letters. Again, it won't happen though.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Okay, let's start a list for those who have a choice and want to Boycott. At least some will be better than none...

Target,
Macy's
Starbucks,
Ebay,
Amazon..

Dec 12, 2013
In the world, but not of the world......The Roman government during the time of Christ was full of corruption, idolatry, murderous soldiers, wicked politicians and ultimately put many believers to death in the most horrific ways...Yet Jesus said render unto Caesar the things which belong to Caesar....I suppose at the end of the day if we boycotted every company that used it's finances to support anti-biblical activities we would be sore pressed to survive.....but then again if we all planted crops, raised livestock and actually relied upon God for our living................!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
In the world, but not of the world......The Roman government during the time of Christ was full of corruption, idolatry, murderous soldiers, wicked politicians and ultimately put many believers to death in the most horrific ways...Yet Jesus said render unto Caesar the things which belong to Caesar....I suppose at the end of the day if we boycotted every company that used it's finances to support anti-biblical activities we would be sore pressed to survive.....but then again if we all planted crops, raised livestock and actually relied upon God for our living................!
I wonder if the Amish have a couple of spare cots?

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
I think you can do whatever you like, but I think it's very hard to be consistant on this point. If you've ever bought lunch at a bowls club or a pub or even a Retired Servicemans club, at least part of your money is funding the gambling industry. Buying most things at a supermarket (particularly clothes) is actively supporting what amounts to slave wages in third world countries. Heck, if you lived in the first century, most anything you'd care to buy would be guaranteed to end up in the coffers at the local temple in honour of a false God. And yet Christians still have to live in that society (and some of them, as slave, would have been in positions where they would have to spend money on whatever their bosses told them to)

Use your conscience, don't do anything you feel squeamish about. I think that's all that can really be said about it. "Should Christians boycott?" No, in the sense that christians should especially feel compelled to as a matter of command or obligation (if we were, every Christians has failed at this point and will continue to fail). "Can Christians feel free to boycott according to their conscience?" Yes, certainly.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Maybe the Church should pool its resources, find a nice section of land somewhere with good water, soil, not too hot or too cold, and all move there and begin their own community?

Self sustaining? We would have to come up with another name though, Amish is already taken.

If someone has such a place, or the resources to purchase such a place, let me know. I do have one stipulation though, it must have good fishing, otherwise I would have to boycott the relocation.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Maybe the Church should pool its resources, find a nice section of land somewhere with good water, soil, not too hot or too cold, and all move there and begin their own community?

Self sustaining? We would have to come up with another name though, Amish is already taken.

If someone has such a place, or the resources to purchase such a place, let me know. I do have one stipulation though, it must have good fishing, otherwise I would have to boycott the relocation.
Oo! And we can put up a big sign at each entrance way saying "Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life."

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Oo! And we can put up a big sign at each entrance way saying "Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life."
:)

Yes, we would have to practice "selective citizenship." Hmm, isn't that idea already in practice?

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
Yeah, comfort before life.
Would you go to your boss and boycott/say you quit? How many 100 percent solely Christ based companies are there? Easy for people to say I'll never drink Starbucks again, yet they want to continue bringing home that paycheck from a secular company.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I've been boycotting Kraft since the early 1970's because of their low food quality. I don't regret that decision because every time I am forced to eat their products (say at a church picnic) I realize that they haven't improved their quality in over 40 years.

But nice to hear the rumours that Kraft is anti-Christian. I wonder where I could substantiate that rumour?

V

VioletReigns

Okay, let's start a list for those who have a choice and want to Boycott. At least some will be better than none...

Target,
Macy's
Starbucks,
Ebay,
Amazon..
I don't shop at any of them anyway. I usually shop at our local grocery store (which just so happens to be owned by Christians), farmers markets, thrift shops and garage sales. :eek:

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Should Christians boycott 'churches'? If a Christian patronizes a 'church' that openly supports sin, is that Christian, in a sense, supporting whatever that sin is?
Example: 'the devouring of widows houses' is a sin. It means demanding ten percent of her SS check while she goes without.

Dec 12, 2013

I have such a place.... ;) and on Indian Creek to boot with both fish, deer, turkey wild plum, black berries, grapes, pawpaw, mulberries, strawberries, squirrel, rabbit and excellent black dirt.....and numerous other items that will not be listed HAHAH

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Check out our own back yard before we point fingers at the world.

M

MidwesternGirl

Am I supporting abortion if I patronize a restaurant that has openly stated their support of Planned Parenthood? Does it make me a hypocrite if I eat at this restaurant a few times a week while I continue to say that abortion is wrong and I do not support it? I can simply find another place to take my family, but in order to be consistent I would need to boycott every company that supports Planned Parenthood- whether it is a restaurant, a clothing store, or a brand of pencils.
I know that I am not giving my money directly to Planned Parenthood, but I know where the money I give to the restaurant may go to.

Dec 19, 2009
If a Christian patronizes a company that openly supports sin - is that Christian in a sense supporting whatever that sin is?

There have been many Christians who have called for a boycott of certain companies because of their stance in political issues. However, most of them only boycott a few companies rather than an entire list and I have never heard anyone explain why.

The list of companies a Christian would boycott is very long, but that is not a reason for a Christian to not boycott. I am mentioning this because if you are going to attempt to explain why a Christian should not boycott such companies -do not use this as a reason why.
I think this depends on several things. How bad is the sin? How badly do you need the product? Can you find the product somewhere else?