Should Christians Celebrate Valentine's Day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Is the kind of "love" promoted on Valentines day the same kind of love YHWH promotes?
do Hebrew roots reflect Biblical truth?
Umm, what?

Ohh I get it.... I use the real Name of the Creator so you put a sterotype on me and "discredit" my words....

OK. I get it now.... SO lame, can't talk Scripture, history or facts, attack one personally....

My question still stands and is valid:

Is the kind of "love" promoted on Valentines day the same kind of love YHWH promotes?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
This coming Monday, the day before Valentine's day, is a holiday known as family day here in British Columbia. It is a stat holiday recognized in five provinces of Canada, though unfortunately not uniformly acknowledged on the same day in February. Alberta started the holiday in 1990, while BC picked it up just five years ago, so our first time was four years ago. I don't know anyone who never wants a day off work with pay :D

U

Ugly

Hello there! I happened to do some reading about Valentine's Day and wanted to get some input as to whether Christians should be celebrating it. It evidently comes on the feast day of two different Christian martyrs named Valentine, but supposedly the customs associated with it may likely come from an ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia which took place every February 15. This festival honored Juno, the Roman goddess of women and marriage, and Pan, the god of nature.

I'm just wondering, if we want to keep our worship to God clean, should we be celebrating something that gives honor to some false gods? Can somebody help me out here? Thanks!
Wedding rings are pagan. As are many wedding traditions. The names of the days of the week are named after pagan gods. Do a little research and find out how much in life involves something with pagan roots. Then let me know how many of them you are willing to abandon. I have yet to meet a Single person that rants against the pagan influence of holidays, yet that also refrains from all the other areas of it.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Hello there! I happened to do some reading about Valentine's Day and wanted to get some input as to whether Christians should be celebrating it. It evidently comes on the feast day of two different Christian martyrs named Valentine, but supposedly the customs associated with it may likely come from an ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia which took place every February 15. This festival honored Juno, the Roman goddess of women and marriage, and Pan, the god of nature.

I'm just wondering, if we want to keep our worship to God clean, should we be celebrating something that gives honor to some false gods? Can somebody help me out here? Thanks!
You must be one of few people who have ever heard of Lupercalia. It sounds like some nasty complaint. Seriously unless you worship Pan and Juno on a regular basis I wouldnt worry about it. According to you Valentines day doesn't even fall on that festival date. To me checking out Pagan festivals is like Hypochondriacs reading Medical Manuals every time they get a
faint twinge.

R

ROSSELLA

I think that's something every Christian needs to decide for him or herself, and the answer might not be the same for all . The problem with living in this world is that everything in it has in some way been used to glorify false gods. Some of the customs associated with Christmas and Easter have pagan origins. However, most Christians celebrate these holidays to remember Christ's birth and His resurrection (respectively). Is it wrong for them to celebrate if they in no way do so thinking about Saturnalia (a Roman holiday that Christmas is said to have replaced) but only thinking of celebrating the birth of Jesus? And many of the Easter symbols (bunny, eggs, flowers etc.) were viewed as fertility symbols in the past. But would it be wrong for a Christian to view these symbols of rebirth as symbols of Christ's resurrection instead of symbols of our own fertility or that of other gods and goddesses, and to celebrate the fact that Jesus conquered death?

Different people will come up with different answers, but I think nothing's wrong with celebrating Christ's birth and His resurrection. Likewise, I think that as long as a Christian celebrates Valentine's Day with the focus of celebrating love (not Juno or Pan), there's nothing wrong with celebrating it.

The Bible doesn't address these issues specifically, but some verses that might guide you.
1 Corinthians 8:4-13: [SUP] [/SUP]So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” [SUP]5 [/SUP]For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), [SUP]6 [/SUP]yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.[SUP]7 [/SUP]But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? [SUP]11 [/SUP]So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. [SUP]12 [/SUP]When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

And 1 Corinthians 10: 25- 32:
[SUP]25 [/SUP]Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, [SUP]26 [/SUP]for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”[SUP][a][/SUP]
[SUP]27 [/SUP]If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. [SUP]28 [/SUP]But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience. [SUP]29 [/SUP]I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? [SUP]30 [/SUP]If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?
[SUP]31 [/SUP]So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. [SUP]32 [/SUP]Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—"

While this applies to food and you're discussing holidays, I think their similar issues at least in terms of what to do with them. Everything used to celebrate holidays is from God (just as all food is from God). God is love. So celebrating God and celebrating love is not wrong. However, if you pray and feel that God is telling you that your celebrating Valentine's Day might cause someone to stumble, then don't celebrate the holiday. However, whatever you do do, do it for the glory of God. Anything done for the glory of God cannot be wrong.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Yahanan (John) 4:25-26, "The woman said to Him; I know that the Messiah comes, and when He comes, He will tell us all things. Yahshua said to her: I am He speaking to you."

Col 2:, "See to it that no one makes a prey of you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary matters of the world, and not according to Messiah."

1John 4:19, "We love Him because He first loved us."