Sins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Titania

Is doing rugs, smoking, and drinking a sin

Dec 19, 2009
Have you recently becomer a Christian and you ytourself are using drugs, drinking and smoking?

To drink in moderation if you are legally old enough is not a sin, and smoking will not bar you from Heaven. But I do believe that drugs would have to stop for the Christian

L

lightbliss

If you have to ask then perhaps you shouldn't do them.

Smoking and drinking alcohol is illegal because you're underage (drugs are illegal period, unless they're prescription drugs, but you still shouldn't abuse them).

Whenever I find myself in a gray area, I ask if Jesus did it or if it is mentioned in the Bible. If He didn't (insert problem here) and if its not in the Bible then I just don't do it.

Did Jesus smoke? Nope. Was it mentioned that He smoked or that it was a sin? Nope.

Some things while not sins are wrong regardless IMO.

rafaelsald

Dec 30, 2009
Smoking may be addictive and can cause cancer.
Drinking can cause cirrhosis and even death.
Drugs can be addictive and can cause psychiatric disorders or even death.

All that harms our body is a sin because our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Think about it.

Aug 2, 2009
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 says:

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Note: Getting high on drugs is very much like being drunk.

In regards to smoking...

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 says:

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Oct 1, 2009
The only one out of the three that is expressely forbidden is doing drugs. Drugs cause you to hallucinate, and are sometimes used in occult rituals. Sorcery and witchcraft come from the greek root word called pharmakeia, which is where we get the modern translation Pharmacy. Medicinal drugs are not forbidden, illegal drugs used to get into an altered state of consciousness are. That's why Paul said...
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
and yet he said...
(To Timothy)1Ti 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
Because back in those days in some areas wine was more pure and healthy than water, sometimes you got sick drinking water. In those areas, drinking wine was more common because you had less chances of getting sick.

Dec 19, 2009
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 says:

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Note: Getting high on drugs is very much like being drunk.

In regards to smoking...

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 says:

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
I went to a church once. People who smoked ouutside the building were told they should stop and had the Bible verses quoted to them that have been quoted here, fair enough. But most of these same people who said these things did not mix with people who were on a lower social level than them, and often criticised others and looked down on them. The reason I mention this is, in your opinion whicjh do you think would have grieved God the most, the people smoking, or the attitude of others in the church.

I t is very easy to findfd fault with a smoker, and overlook the faults of others

Oct 1, 2009
I went to a church once. People who smoked ouutside the building were told they should stop and had the Bible verses quoted to them that have been quoted here, fair enough. But most of these same people who said these things did not mix with people who were on a lower social level than them, and often criticised others and looked down on them. The reason I mention this is, in your opinion whicjh do you think would have grieved God the most, the people smoking, or the attitude of others in the church.

I t is very easy to findfd fault with a smoker, and overlook the faults of others
Which is why some will say, do not defile the temple of the living God by smoking and then after wards pack themselves full of twinkies.