So My Local Christian Radio Station . . .

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 1, 2014
Has a commercial depicting a minister who was hit by a bus, and someone directed him to the right lawyers who emphasize suing people beyond medical costs.

Jesus talks about law suits and says we are to avoid them by acting in a righteous manner, but here's a Christian radio station neglecting His teachings. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny. -- Jesus Christ

J

JesusIsAll

Has a commercial depicting a minister who was hit by a bus, and someone directed him to the right lawyers who emphasize suing people beyond medical costs.

Jesus talks about law suits and says we are to avoid them by acting in a righteous manner, but here's a Christian radio station neglecting His teachings. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny. -- Jesus Christ
Well, if the party of the bus was negligent, hopefully they will settle matters quickly. The scripture does indicate the natural course of things is difficulty for the one who won't settle, that the judge and the court are the next step, and so be it, to the last penny. A victim is a victim, the party injured. I seriously doubt the party of the bus is willingly lavishing all sympathy and recompense to the one hit by the bus, the law of the land that pain and suffering are actionable, and who knows what medical costs may go on and on? But the scripture isn't saying the judge and the court are evil. God ordained such government.

Nov 22, 2015
Even Paul in 1 Corinthians said that they were taking each other ( fellow Christians ) to court and he said..why not take the hit and be wronged....I suppose if our trust is not in the Lord..we will go to the world's system to get what we can..

1 Corinthians 6:1-8 (NASB)
[SUP]1 [/SUP] Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints?
[SUP]2 [/SUP] Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?
[SUP]3 [/SUP] Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?
[SUP]4 [/SUP] So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?
[SUP]5 [/SUP] I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not among you one wise man who will be able to decide between his brethren,
[SUP]6 [/SUP] but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers?
[SUP]7 [/SUP] Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded?
[SUP]8 [/SUP] On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
It seems like what Jesus is addressing is if you are the perpetrator. Notice it is the guy bringing you before the judge, meaning you have committed the wrong. This is different from the scenario presented by the radio station as it is you who has been wronged and are not the perpetrator. So its in your best interest to settle outside of court (if you are the person in the wrong).

In reference to the hypothetical involving the minister and being hit with a bus, you must consider that suing for just medical bills isn't very compensating as it may too have affected his ability to bring in an income, thereby needing to include that in the suit. If he has a family to support and this accident has affected his ability to provide, then that too should be included in the suit. It isn't greed, its a matter of justice.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Apparently, it's all about the money. Always has been. Always will be. Sad.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Americans are already so litigious. This ad just perpetuates the need to get far beyond what is called for. Canadians rarely sue, and if they do, the amounts awarded are nothing compared to what Americans get. I guess it is just another sign of unbridled greed.

Personally, if I were you, I would complain to the radio station about the ad, and give them the Bible verses that show how the ad is not Christian. If the radio station doesn't respond (and I doubt it will) then you need to decide how far you want to take it. Other Christian media? Churches?

Or does anyone really care? Sigh!

Dec 1, 2014
It seems like what Jesus is addressing is if you are the perpetrator. Notice it is the guy bringing you before the judge, meaning you have committed the wrong. This is different from the scenario presented by the radio station as it is you who has been wronged and are not the perpetrator. So its in your best interest to settle outside of court (if you are the person in the wrong).

In reference to the hypothetical involving the minister and being hit with a bus, you must consider that suing for just medical bills isn't very compensating as it may too have affected his ability to bring in an income, thereby needing to include that in the suit. If he has a family to support and this accident has affected his ability to provide, then that too should be included in the suit. It isn't greed, its a matter of justice.
Good points, Bro, but in the commercial the minister says he suffered pain and needed to be compensated. Its what Tourist stated, its always about the money. And you know what Scripture says about the love of money.

D

Depleted

Jesus was talking to believers. If you were hit by a bus, you would pay for your own medical expenses and loss of income? I'd ask the bus company to pay my expenses, but I live in Philly. They (SEPTA) don't because they don't have to.

In my case, it was SEPTA employees in SEPTA minvan smashing into my car when they couldn't see past a line of cars waiting at a red light to turn left onto the Vine Street Expressway. I was slowing down for the same light when they plowed into the side of my car. Never sued, because I couldn't, but gladly accepted my car insurance paying for a new car. (Didn't even ask them to pay for my injury because my health insurance covered that.)

There are times to sue. There are times not to sue. I'm glad the option is available. I don't see Jesus saying not to sue. I see him saying think out the consequences.

Dec 1, 2014
Americans are already so litigious. This ad just perpetuates the need to get far beyond what is called for. Canadians rarely sue, and if they do, the amounts awarded are nothing compared to what Americans get. I guess it is just another sign of unbridled greed.

Personally, if I were you, I would complain to the radio station about the ad, and give them the Bible verses that show how the ad is not Christian. If the radio station doesn't respond (and I doubt it will) then you need to decide how far you want to take it. Other Christian media? Churches?

Or does anyone really care? Sigh!
I most definitely care. Thank you for sharing, Sister.

C

Chuckt

I had a relative that fell on the church's sidewalk. You incur costs like an ambulance ride to the hospital which isn't cheap. My wife went to the hospital in an ambulance and the ambulance workers didn't tell my wife her rights and we got a whopping bill over $1,500. My neighbors had a hospital ride in a helicopter and it was over $7,500. And I have met people with a million dollar hospital bill. What do you do when a police officer says you are getting in the helicopter and going to the hospital? Does anyone have the right to take out your credit card and charge you $7,500? No.

Jesus didn't always turn the other cheek:

John 18:23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

And this has done a wonderful thing for victim's rights.

C

Chuckt

I most definitely care. Thank you for sharing, Sister.
The radio ad is about the money. I don't think you will win but you may try if that is your wish.

Dec 1, 2014
I had a relative that fell on the church's sidewalk. You incur costs like an ambulance ride to the hospital which isn't cheap. My wife went to the hospital in an ambulance and the ambulance workers didn't tell my wife her rights and we got a whopping bill over $1,500. My neighbors had a hospital ride in a helicopter and it was over $7,500. And I have met people with a million dollar hospital bill. What do you do when a police officer says you are getting in the helicopter and going to the hospital? Does anyone have the right to take out your credit card and charge you $7,500? No.

John 18:23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

Hence why I wrote: lawyers who emphasize suing people beyond medical costs.

C

Chuckt

Acts 16:35 ¶ And when it was day, the magistrates sent the serjeants, saying, Let those men go.
Acts 16:36 And the keeper of the prison told this saying to Paul, The magistrates have sent to let you go: now therefore depart, and go in peace.
Acts 16:37 But Paul said unto them, They have beaten us openly uncondemned, being Romans, and have cast us into prison; and now do they thrust us out privily? nay verily; but let them come themselves and fetch us out.
Acts 16:38 And the serjeants told these words unto the magistrates: and they feared, when they heard that they were Romans.
Acts 16:39 And they came and besought them, and brought them out, and desired them to depart out of the city.

If Paul didn't do this, would the church have been protected? Did Paul make them promise protection to the church and would you have threatened the magistrates for protection of the church in exchange for letting them go?

The idea that we don't do anything is not what Paul was saying.

D

Depleted

Apparently, it's all about the money. Always has been. Always will be. Sad.
Actually, sometimes it is about life. Hubby is considering suing the hospital that gave him Stage IV bedsores. He would have been in rehab a week ago, if he didn't have to get that sore taken care of. He'll be stuck in the hospital for at least two more weeks, possibly up to 5-6 more weeks just because of it. He wants to be home. I want him home. I don't blame him about wanting to sue. That hospital has a below-average patient care rating. (A four out of ten.) It's also one of the top ten hospitals in the country for trauma cases and heart surgery. They should be taking care of their patients better than that.

I'm trying to talk him out of it, but honestly? I'm trying to talk him out of it because we only have but so many years left in life, and I don't want him to spend them stressed over a lawsuit. On the other hand, how many more patients will be treated so poorly, because it doesn't affect the bottom line and no one is taking them to court? The only reason money would be involved in this is to get their attention. We can't settle for "take better care of your patients by doing the following from now on:..."

When hubby was in that hospital there was a lottery that was getting close to the billion dollar mark. I was joking around with one of the nurses about it, but I was thinking about what I'd do if I won that money. My mind went to creating a fund for the cardiac ICU specifically so they'd have beds that patients over 6 feet tall could fit into, more medical chairs that don't break down and don't have to be shared by so many, (35 bed cardiac ICU. Every single one of those patients need to sit in medical chairs after surgery each day to improve their lung functions, and yet TWO chairs for the unit. One was broken), and money to pay orderlies to help move patients and turn them every two hours. Oh, and treats for all 70 staff members once a week. lol

If we sue, it's about the conditions that caused this, not the money. The problem is we don't have the money to sue. The bigger problem is how long it takes to sue and what goes on in the emotions of both sides in the suit.

I really do think Jesus was asking that people not jump the gun on thinking suing is always the answer though. (Except, it was before guns, and why would anyone want to jump a gun in the first place?
)

J

JesusIsAll

And everybody saying it's all just some evil love of money would, without a doubt, be singing a different tune, if it were their rear injured by, say, a drunk bus driver, faced with a bus company willing to maybe buy some crutches, if they would once ever admit negligence without legal arm twisting, in the first place. And the radio station? They should do everything for free, with so many who aren't such vile lovers of money bending over backwards to send money to the radio station they listen to. Of course, maybe I'm not seeing that some people here live in a different world, where bus companies are managed by archangels, and Christian radio stations can operate, exclusively from running ads of stores selling Bibles.

Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

B

BeyondET

Good points, Bro, but in the commercial the minister says he suffered pain and needed to be compensated. Its what Tourist stated, its always about the money. And you know what Scripture says about the love of money.
True about money but Probably Medical bills paid atleast, beyond that compensation may depend on someone the injuries suffered paralyzed from the neck down for life at 16yrs old hit by a DUI might be a tuff call for someone I wouldnt want to have to make that determination