So what do I do.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

genec74

I've lied. I feel guilty about it. If I tell the truth it will cause serious and possibly irreparable repercussions in my family. I have perpetrated this lie for years now. What do I do. I have asked God to forgive me, but do I have to tell my family and my church? I am so torn about this.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to CC!
While knowing the context would be helpful, in a sense it doesn’t matter. Honesty is always better than dishonesty. It sounds like you are afraid of potential unpleasant consequences. Own up to it, whatever it is; the freedom you’ll feel will be worth it.

The only reason I can see why keeping it to yourself would be better is if revealing it would cause real harm to others.

P

Papou

I've lied. I feel guilty about it. If I tell the truth it will cause serious and possibly irreparable repercussions in my family. I have perpetrated this lie for years now. What do I do. I have asked God to forgive me, but do I have to tell my family and my church? I am so torn about this.
You know they probably already know the truth but do not want to hurt you. Get over it and do what you have to do.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
The answer is simple: STOP LYING. Then things like this wouldn't happen.. Own it and tell the truth, consequences be darned..

7seasrekeyed

ok, well one thing here

don't involve others because you feel guilty...guilt is not from God if you have asked Him to forgive you

we don't have much to go on, but if you have been sinning against others with the lies, then yes, you should ask forgiveness

perhaps speaking to the pastor would help...he may be able to guide you in this far better than strangers on a forum :)

sounds like you have some very serious thinking to do, but getting counsel about it might really help

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Depends on what you have lied about. And perhaps you may not want to share it. The best thing to do is decide who would be the best person to honestly discuss this with. And it should be face-to-face.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"It appears you have been 'away' from here for awhile and only you know your relation
with God. As well mentioned, bringing cause of 'harm' to others should be seriously
considered. Families should be, but are not always capable of accepting wrong doings,
and only YOU know your families 'personalities'.
I learned long time past, when to the best of my ability, with tears, I surrendered all of
myself before God. And over the years, I have learned better how to handle 'sensitive'
matters of the past, and by the grace of God, things have worked out alright.
With this before you, only YOU and God will arrive at a suitable conclusion. And, also
we must be mindful, if we don't let go of the past, the past will not let go of us.
I hope you come to find the best solution."
~Just a thought from....'this side of the glass'.

hope-in-focus - Copy - Copy - Copy (2).jpg