So, when do you..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nike

.. likely think you've known someone enough to decide to marry that person?
After 7 weeks? 7 months? 7 years?

*this might sound soooooooo inexperienced. sorry :p *

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
lol i think you are asking the wrong people....

On the other hand the majority answer will probably be hen the time is right or something along those lines

N

Nike

lol i think you are asking the wrong people....

On the other hand the majority answer will probably be hen the time is right or something along those lines
oooohh my bad.. LOL
but maybe some people here were once married :p

P

progressivenerdgirl

There is no dative method. Get married when you feel you're capable of being a wife, and he of being a husband.
There are no numerical answers to life changing decisions, sorry. It will have to be on your judgment. Talk to your minister.

U

Ugly

There is no dative method. Get married when you feel you're capable of being a wife, and he of being a husband.
There are no numerical answers to life changing decisions, sorry. It will have to be on your judgment. Talk to your minister.
Given the wording of the question, i think she means when you're with someone already. And most likely, if you're dating, the long term intention is marriage anyways.

As an answer, i say as a good standard a year minimum. If you're going to be preparing to spend your life with this person, you need to take time to really see who they are, and get past the 'still trying to impress you' stage.
Also, there is a chemical released in the brain the first 6 months of a relationship that causes all those lovey dovey feelings. This is why so many relationships end shortly after 6 months, the chemical wears off, and without it, they realize that this person isn't so great after all. So you want to have time to have that wear off and see if you really want the relationship to continue. So those are the reasons i suggest a year, minimum.

J

Jordache

Well, here's a practical answer. 7 weeks is too short to really get to know someone. 7 months is still not a really good amount of time to judge a persons character in all circumstances. If you are still dating after 7 yrs, unless you started when you were 12, move on. That time frame smacks of commitment issues and/or immaturity. Certainly there are exceptions to everything, but the best answer I can give with your selected options is 7 months.

Feb 10, 2008
Well, here's a practical answer. 7 weeks is too short to really get to know someone. 7 months is still not a really good amount of time to judge a persons character in all circumstances. If you are still dating after 7 yrs, unless you started when you were 12, move on. That time frame smacks of commitment issues and/or immaturity. Certainly there are exceptions to everything, but the best answer I can give with your selected options is 7 months.
I really like your practicality (not sarcastic), but I still have to say that God can work miracles. If He decides to assure me in 7 weeks that this girl is someone that I should marry, it could all change in that instant.

alienx7587

Jul 10, 2011
Personally, I would choose a minimum of 1 year before popping the question. That way I can observe her in all the seasons we live through. (This also helps answer questions like: 'How will she interact with my family during the holidays?') I don't think I'd string out a dating (not engagement) relationship out past 1.5 years.

But that's just my opinion. Every circumstance is different. It's all about being considerate of the other person and trying your best to be tune with what God is telling you.

S

StephenH

To me, it'd really depend on the scenario and there's no real knowing how it'd be for each relationship. Of course, I'm speaking as someone who has always been single.

J

Jullianna

Of those three options, I would have to go with 7 months. It is important for me to go through a few things with someone first in order to gauge how they respond to God and to me under fire.

After 7 weeks I might be interested enough to commit to a relationship that might lead to marriage, but not marriage, itself, at that point. Gotta give it time to allow the new to wear off of a relationship and determine whether it is love or infatuation.

I believe in long engagements, but 7 years?? Nope. I'd be worried that one of us had an Uncle Laban lurking about..

C

Christmusiclover7

My personal opinion is you know when you know. Plain and simple really.

M

meggars

totally depends on the person i suppose. when someone is younger i'd say it's wiser to wait longer to get to know a person before taking that step as you're less likely to even know yourself....the older you get the more set in your ways you are and it will probably not take as long for you to see the things you can or cannot permanently ''handle'' about a person.

M

meggars

Personally, I would choose a minimum of 1 year before popping the question. That way I can observe her in all the seasons we live through. (This also helps answer questions like: 'How will she interact with my family during the holidays?')

this sounds like it came straight out of Stephen Arterburn's ''Is This the One''....but ooooh how i hope not.

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
After 7 beers, I'm ready to marry anyone!!!

D

dimples

oooohh my bad.. LOL
but maybe some people here were once married :p
but not me! i still wanna wait for my Godly man! theres a time for everything as the bible said..

Aug 2, 2009

If you're in a good relationship, there will come a time when you just feel its right. :)

J

Jordache

I agree Lightening!