Sony does an about face, decides to release "Interview" Christmas day

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Viligant_Warrior

'Freedom has prevailed!': 'The Interview' being shown in theaters on Christmas

Sony announced Tuesday the limited release of the embattled film "The Interview" beginning Christmas Day.

The move comes after the studio's widely criticized move to cancel the movie's release following threats from hackers who crippled the company's infrastructure and published the private information of thousands of employees and business associates.

"We have never given up on releasing 'The Interview' and we're excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Entertainment. "At the same time, we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience."
Guess they got tired of being called wimps, wusses, and cop-outs to an empty threat.

Then again, they probably were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of dollar signs danced in their heads, given the backlash against pulling the film brought down on them.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Guess they got tired of being called wimps, wusses, and cop-outs to an empty threat.
Now we can call them wimps, wusses, and cop-ins to societal pressure, instead. :p

Interesting change of heart. We'll see where this leads.

A

Anonimous

Then again, they probably were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of dollar signs danced in their heads, given the backlash against pulling the film brought down on them.
"Freedom Has Prevailed?" Now freedom is based on whether we see a movie or not...pretty twisted standard...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Christmas Day? They should save it for April 1st :p

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Christmas Day? They should save it for April 1st :p
Like I said on a previous thread, Sony took advantage of the situation by making it a forbidden fruit.

That and their clever legal team found a loophole around the possible torts they could get slammed with.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Like I said on a previous thread, Sony took advantage of the situation by making it a forbidden fruit.

That and their clever legal team found a loophole around the possible torts they could get slammed with.
Sony is claiming it wasn't them who wimped out but the theatres where the showing was to take place.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
I still think it was manufactured by Sony as a publicity stunt. I doubt this film would have done well, but of course all this controversy will see people flock to it.

M

Mitspa

Yea I have not gone to see or rented a movie in years...but this one I will...may not even watch it?

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
I still think it was manufactured by Sony as a publicity stunt. I doubt this film would have done well, but of course all this controversy will see people flock to it.
You took that thought right out of my head......publicity .....anything for a buck.....

M

Mitspa

Come on guys did you see some of the things released in their e-mails? Or have you not heard how crazy these North Koreans are about their divine leader? This was no stunt...in fact if folks read those e-mails they would lose a whole lot of business...

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
I think I do understand ....that we are dealing with a dangerous and evil man....not to be
taken lightly....but if they committed to pulling this thing.....what has changed that causes them to release it....so quickly......

M

Mitspa

Oh I think they can see now that they can cash in some...but they didn't make this thing up.

V

Viligant_Warrior

"Freedom Has Prevailed?" Now freedom is based on whether we see a movie or not...pretty twisted standard...
Well, free speech is free speech, regardless of how tackily it is formatted or how greedy is the motivation for it being communicated.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
This movie is fantastic.

V

Viligant_Warrior

My understanding it is fantastically stupid. But as long as people buy it, or a ticket to see it, I guess that doesn't really matter. Personally, I have no desire to see it. That's just me.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Saw it for free. Was worth it.